Shrimpery

lyric123

I bought the san francisco bay brand shrimpery but I don't know how to get the shrimp out of the container it comes with.

sirrealism

Welcome to RS. lots of great people here to help. Ok not sure which one you have but what I do with mine is after 2 days of bubbling i turn off the the air pump and put a light close to the bottom for about 10 mins. the shells will float to the top and the shrimp will swim to the bottom. I then hold the air pump higher then the hatchery and disconnect the air line from the pump and then take the hole hatchery with me to the tank and then put the air tube in the tank where I want the shrimp in. when I get down to about and inch or so of water left in the hatchery I then dump that down the sink since thats mostly egg shells. Refile and start the process over again. Like I said I am not sure which hatchery you have but mine is the one with the 2liter bottle with the bottom cut off. Is really easy

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
sirrealism when you get a chance can you take and post some pictures of your set-up and how you do the process?

sirrealism

Ok I spent 30 mins or so taking pics with my phone on how my hatchery works and how I feed. Mind you the way that PaulB feeds might be better but I am not just feeding my fish. I am feeding my corals 2. But if you have a mandarin check out how PaulB has set his up to feed. The mandarins come right to a bowl like a dog or cat to eat the brine. Ok so its going to take me a couple hours to get pics loaded and write it all up since I am a 2 finger hunt and peck kind of guy who cant spell to save my life. I will make a new thread about this.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I bought the san francisco bay brand shrimpery but I don't know how to get the shrimp out of the container it comes with.

Oh and Hello to Lyric :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
Thanks for Joining in & starting this thread :thumbup:

DaveK

You almost can't. The official way is fill the clear plastic "pill bottle" with water and invert it, and insert it into the center hole in the top of the black box. Then put it in bright light on it and that will attract the shrimp into the "pill bottle".

Regretfully, this product just doesn't work, at all. This is one of the few products that are so bad that it is best to use a hammer on it and smash it to bits, to avoid inflicting it upon some other unsuspecting aquarist. I speak from personal experience here. I tried one many years ago, and yes, it's really that bad.

Luckly sirrealism put up this thread on the subject. The DIY method demonstrated is about 100x better that the SFB Shrimpery. See this thread - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/livestock-breeding/92758-brine-shrimp-hatchery-diy.html