Show me your shallow reef

TOMS

Hi guys, Im looking for inspiration , I plan to build a 600mm x 600mm x 500mm shallow reef , smoked black glass to the rear ,fitted with an xaqua in/ out and for lighting I'm planning on fitting AI sol LEDs .

Show me your shallow reef:yup:

michael_cb_125

Very nice dimensions on the tank and I love the choice of Xaqua In/Out for the return. I like LEDs and prior to a few months ago I would have agreed with you on the AIs, but since the introduction of the Ecotech Radion, I feel as though that would be a better choice. The AIs are great for hitting crazy PAR numbers, but on a shallow tank I feel the Radion would provide better spread. I feel as though a single Radion would provide ample coverage and intensity.
Also, I love frosted glass for the rears of tanks. If you place a thin low wattage LED strip at the bottom of the glass you can great a neat ambient effect at night.

What are would considering for livestock?
If you dont mind me making a few suggestions;

Option One:
SPS dominated reef filled with Apogon sp. (cyanosoma, parvulus, etc.).

Option Two:
SPS dominated reef with a pair of Centropyge angels (my favorites: multifaciatus, colini, venustus, aruantia)

Option Three:
LPS dominated reef with a small shoal of smaller anthias (Pseudanthias pulcherrimus, Pseudanthias parvirostris)

Option Four:
LPS dominated reef with a pair of small predatory fish (Fuzzy dwarf Lionfish, Pygmy Wasp, etc.)

Option Five:
Soft Coral Dominated reef with many small goby species (Trimma sp., Eviota sp., Coryphopterus sp., etc.)

What are you considering for filtration?
For my this can be as exciting as the livestock additions.

~Michael

TOMS

Thanks for your reply , the radion has given me food for thought . Coral wise I'm not too sure but i do love goby types filtration will consist of a basic sump, sponge ,filter floss, live rock rubble, active carbon and some rowaphos ( like my last red sea max). Like the strip of LEDs idea ,if anyone has any pictures that would be great. Don't know yet what skimmer to go for ?

Can't wait to get started,

Equipment prices in the uk are high so I will be purchasing some in June With I'm in Disney with the kids .

michael_cb_125

I would look into the ATB line of skimmers. Go with the smallest model possible and you would be set.
I have an ATB and I love it!

~Michael

TOMS

Michael, had a google re-ATB. Don't think they are stocked in the UK.

Nobody got any pictures...

michael_cb_125

This is the skimmer that I would recommend. I have the older version of this on one of my tanks and I love it.
It is the ATB 840 2.0
You could get one in Florida ;)
And I bet someone at ATB (Victor) can hook you up.

840v2.jpg

~Michael

TOMS

Think Uk customs only allow myself and wife to £390 each worth of kit anything over and we pay 20% UK tax on whole amount , the lights come close to this,,need to check out if the kids get an allowance,,,,,,,,,,,

TOMS

Seen the top picture a few weeks back it was that pic that has inspired me to go shallow without the centre construction..... Wife kids and my African grey parrot would not be happy.

TOMS

Sent away for a quote today for a 600x600x 380mm shallow reef, smoked glass back with holes drilled in the back to accommodate an xaqua ,,,, Should turn out very nice

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
sasquatch said:
is 19'' considered shallow? I want to do 12'' and keep getting hmmmm answers

Depends how long u can hold ur breath.

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

dmatt88

sasquatch said:
you must have Monday off to be this drunk on Sunday night lol[/QUOTE

Man. All the funny things I wanna say I don't feel are "appropriate "

Sas u kill me dude.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
sasquatch said:
you must have Monday off to be this drunk on Sunday night lol[/QUOTE

Man. All the funny things I wanna say I don't feel are "appropriate "

Sas u kill me dude.

put a bag over your head and hide the target hahahahaha

dmatt88

Did u get that idea from my wife?

ChrisY

And here I was not wanting to risk a comment about 'if you show me yours, I'll show you mine' lol. :)

I do like some of the shallow tanks I have seen though. very unique.

Chris