Should I clean my skimmer

W Churchill

New set up about 6 weeks old.

Had a few disasters with the skimmer overflowing at night (I know it will pass)

Have set it fairly low and not had any disasters for over a week.

Tonight I knocked the settings and the skimmer is too dirty to see the level properly, would you clean it for peace of mind (It's been suggested to me cleaning the skimmer isn't good).

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Cleaning the skimmer cup is good, and so is cleaning the neck of the skimmer. Any other part of it should be given a vinegar bath biannually and then ran in NSW for a few days to re-break-it in. What type of skimmer do you have though?

W Churchill

I have the Aqua One ProSkim G220. I'm glad to hear cleaning is not a bad thing, i'm almost ready to go ahead but will wait to see if my skimmer type makes any difference. To be honest i was almost willing to clean it whether it was good or bad, to avoid another mop up in the morning.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
The type of the skimmer doesn't matter. Cleaning is usually good. I just was curious! :)

Nice site building by the way! I need to try that with my Mac!

W Churchill

I'm afraid all that equipments gone now, I decided to consolidate into 2 x 400 ltr tanks, one for fresh water and one for marine, they're identical which is nice although a sump on the freshwater is a little strange. Thanks for your help, getting the bucket right now.