Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Collo

Awesome mate, emperor on my list once my tanks up and running.

3000l is a big ass tank. I can imagine if you go for it it will look amazing, but I wouldn't envy your maintenance, just the glass cleaning alone. Any idea on cost? I found a custom 5ft was far cheaper than going the red sea route

SPR

Awesome mate, emperor on my list once my tanks up and running.

3000l is a big ass tank. I can imagine if you go for it it will look amazing, but I wouldn't envy your maintenance, just the glass cleaning alone. Any idea on cost? I found a custom 5ft was far cheaper than going the red sea route
£20000 + as rough guide possibly up to £30000 but that’s fully kitted out with equipment

SPR

Now you know you have a good women when you mention, cautiously and humbly, you’ve been thinking about getting a custom built reef tank, and she says, oh like we spoke about a few years ago, and then she comes up with ideas we’re to put it........

She even had a better idea than me which is were it would now go, in my man cave, which means apart from moving my TV it doesn’t affect the room. On an outside wall for equipment and chillers etc.

I tried to keep a straight serious face, nodding appropriately, while trying to control my facial excitement!!! Lol

We are probably talking 3.7m x 1m width x 700-900mm deep just for the display. And a sump of similar length but less width and depth etc.

So watch this space and it will be quality glass @Collo

Collo

Now you know you have a good women when you mention, cautiously and humbly, you’ve been thinking about getting a custom built reef tank, and she says, oh like we spoke about a few years ago, and then she comes up with ideas we’re to put it........

She even had a better idea than me which is were it would now go, in my man cave, which means apart from moving my TV it doesn’t affect the room. On an outside wall for equipment and chillers etc.

I tried to keep a straight serious face, nodding appropriately, while trying to control my facial excitement!!! Lol

We are probably talking 3.7m x 1m width x 700-900mm deep just for the display. And a sump of similar length but less width and depth etc.

Sounds like your seriously considering it! Whats the lead time on a tank like that, a good few weeks I assume.

Optiwhite (low iron glass) is the only way to go - you know what they say, go big or go home.

I assume you have considered the logistics of getting it to its final home? Your going to need a crane for that bad boy

Nobbygas

Sounds like your seriously considering it! Whats the lead time on a tank like that, a good few weeks I assume.

Optiwhite (low iron glass) is the only way to go - you know what they say, go big or go home.

I assume you have considered the logistics of getting it to its final home? Your going to need a crane for that bad boy
I think they will build the aquarium 'on-site'.

Nobbygas

You do realize that if you post a thirty page thread on just your building work on the house I will never speak to you again :)

SPR

You do realize that if you post a thirty page thread on just your building work on the house I will never speak to you again :)
Lol!

I might not be doing anything yet, so don’t get to excited. It’s a big system and I need to decide if I can be bothered, but I have the option.

And depending on the width, they will either build on site or if around 700mm wide (door size) they will build and then deliver pre built.

I’m going to get it priced up and then go from there and in the meantime give it some thought

The glass would be the best they make, and I don’t know the lead time as yet but will find out.

I don’t know about using Triton, I think I would prefer my tried and trusted methods as I know what I’m doing, and no room for error here. The display alone would be around 2775 litres plus sump volume.

I might actually have a look again at the ALR algae reactors. I didn’t like the refugium as it was making the sump ‘funky’ but the reactors are self contained

SPR

I think I might order the ALR 2 Algae reactor and give it a try with some Cheato.

I like the idea of a refugium and the way it works, and these reactors will keep everything were it should be rather than all over the sump.

SPR

Your just bored aren't you lol - you know that old saying, if it aint broke, don't fix it.....
Yes an no. My nitrates are more than 12 but less than 25 and i think somewhere in the middle and Im currently dosing 24ml of Nopox per day although to be fair this has only been for a few days.

I added the refugium before and like the idea because if it works I can also potentially take off line the rhowaphos or at least have another option.

Or i might wait a bit.....

Ok, I'm bored, have money to spend, and need something to fiddle with!!! lol

Nobbygas

Yes an no. My nitrates are more than 12 but less than 25 and i think somewhere in the middle and Im currently dosing 24ml of Nopox per day although to be fair this has only been for a few days.

I added the refugium before and like the idea because if it works I can also potentially take off line the rhowaphos or at least have another option.

Or i might wait a bit.....

Ok, I'm bored, have money to spend, and need something to fiddle with!!! lol
My Mother died last year so I am now an orphan. You can adopt me and spend it all on me. I am house trained. The wife won't miss me.

Nobbygas

I think I might order the ALR 2 Algae reactor and give it a try with some Cheato.

I like the idea of a refugium and the way it works, and these reactors will keep everything were it should be rather than all over the sump.
I like the idea behind these reactors. Best you buy it first, test it, review it, and then let us know the results.
Have you ordered it yet?

SPR

I like the idea behind these reactors. Best you buy it first, test it, review it, and then let us know the results.
Have you ordered it yet?

Not yet but i have just literally this second (are you watching me! Lol) emailed Stuart Bertram at DD (David Saxby etc) for a tank builder recommendation. I spoke with him last year about rhowaphos etc. And you know who these guys are and their legendary systems.

Also tonight my wifes friend came around and after admiring my new fish thought the corals were rubber!!! I clearly pointed out not and she was gobsmacked! Lol. She was very impressed with my abilities.......

And then she said in-front of my wife, im surprised you haven’t built a bigger tank...... our jaws dropped....

So clearly its fate!!!

And ive only not ordered the ALR because @Collo said it’s because im bored which was exactly right. I think hes using reverse psychology on me but so far he’s saved me £300! Lol

But the ALR principal seems sound and i might get one yet

Forgive any typos i cant see as from phone!! Lol

Oh and I’m going to change the password on my HD camera just in case someone has hacked it!! Lol

Last edited: