Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Tell us more. What are your thoughts regarding the new mahoosive tank. How big are you thinking?
‘If’ I do it, which I may not, it will be 3000+ litres or more. I have a perfect entire long wall in my man cave were there’s currently a sofa (the wife can sit on the floor! Lol).

But I don’t know if I want the work to be honest, can’t make my mind up. But my tank is pretty full now, hardly any space for new corals etc

You will have to watch this space really, sounds exciting but again my tank is easy to look after and maintain now so I don’t know. And we’re all getting older........

SPR

I do like the Herald's. A nice deep vibrant Yellow normally.
The Silver Belly Wrasse.....now, I bought what was described as a Green Wrasse. When I got it it was about 2" long and was a nice Green colour. Now, it has grown and is in fact the biggest fattest fish in the tank. It has also lost the Green colour, and is now just plain ole Silver. I think the Silver Belly Wrasse may go the same way. But, he is a friendly fish though and doesn't bother anyone or anything.
Comparing your fish list to mine, I had seven Blue Chromis, and I'm now down to two. When they are gone I will not replace them. Anthias don't seem to kill each other off in the same way as the Chromis do!
Five Azure Damsel's ? That is like having an ISIS cell in your tank! Damsels are the terrorists of the aquarium world!
I’ve had the 5 damsels since I started, they were amongst the first fish I ever had and the LFS said they can be territorial. And they still are. Their stationed at 5 equal distances across the tank as their marked territory and harass ‘anything’ irrespective of size.

This was a time when as I was leaving the shop, the man said you will have to look into ‘dosing’ shortly, and I thought what’s he on about, dosing, and off I went in my ignorance! Lol.

And it’s funny with your Chromis. I still have 5 and their beautiful fish now, but the anthias have dwindled to 1 male and 2 females. I nearly bought some more yesterday, but their expensive if the male kills them off. I added 5 small ones months ago, never to be seen again....

Collo

But they had a small emperor angelfish and a small blue faced angelfish and I really want them, but I know they might eat the contents of my tank, but they might not, mmmmmm

My 2 favourite fish right there!

I have a juvenile blue faced, had him since he was about the size of a 2p piece - he's just transitioning now into his adult colours - I've put a few softies in with him to see if he will be a reef muncher, he hasn't touched anything yet so hopefully he will be fine

SPR

My 2 favourite fish right there!

I have a juvenile blue faced, had him since he was about the size of a 2p piece - he's just transitioning now into his adult colours - I've put a few softies in with him to see if he will be a reef muncher, he hasn't touched anything yet so hopefully he will be fine
Ok that’s it then, I might call on my way back from the golf course!!

SPR

I went back to the LFS, yes back, and I saw them, looking at me with big blue angel eyes smiling at me, saying Shaun we need to come and live with you in your beautiful reef, we promise we won’t eat your corals, honestly, fins on heart.... how could I resist their fishy sweet pleas for help........

Just to be concise, and keep things up to date, you understand.....

Emperor Angelfish
Blueface Angelfish
Regal Angelfish
Heralds Angelfish
Flame Angelfish
Coral Beauty
Yellow Tang
Regal Tang
Purple Tang
Tomini Tang
Sailfin Tang
Pair of Blue Throat Triggers that have spawned on many occasions
Pair of clown fish
Magnificent Foxface
Red Wrasse (can’t remember proper name!)
Yellow/banana Wrasse
Silver Belly Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
Fairy Wrasse
Neon Dottyback
2 Yellow Goby
Starry Blenny
Mandarin fish
5 Green Chromis
5 Azure Damsels
3 Lyretail Anthias (originally 7)

Last edited:

Nobbygas

‘If’ I do it, which I may not, it will be 3000+ litres or more. I have a perfect entire long wall in my man cave were there’s currently a sofa (the wife can sit on the floor! Lol).

But I don’t know if I want the work to be honest, can’t make my mind up. But my tank is pretty full now, hardly any space for new corals etc

You will have to watch this space really, sounds exciting but again my tank is easy to look after and maintain now so I don’t know. And we’re all getting older........
That's like 5 times your current size, so you will have to scale everything up 5 times.....but just think what eight or nine Yellow Tangs swimming around in a group would look like!

SPR

That's like 5 times your current size, so you will have to scale everything up 5 times.....but just think what eight or nine Yellow Tangs swimming around in a group would look like!
I know it’s quiet exciting isn’t it, Chartehouse Aquatics have literally just called me for the custom build as well. I’ve got to send some measurements to them and they build and design the whole system. Interestingly they recommend the Triton method on that size tank to avoid water changes.

Like you say just imagine the fish I can have........ a whole ocean of yellow tangs......

I might even be able to top the @Collo shopping list!! Lol

Nobbygas

I know it’s quiet exciting isn’t it, Chartehouse Aquatics have literally just called me for the custom build as well. I’ve got to send some measurements to them and they build and design the whole system. Interestingly they recommend the Triton method on that size tank to avoid water changes.

Like you say just imagine the fish I can have........ a whole ocean of yellow tangs......

I might even be able to top the @Collo shopping list!! Lol
I agree with using Triton for that size. You don't want to be messing about with water changes. I'm excited for you !