Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

datahoe

If you mean the green 'wavy one' centre left then I believe it's called an Australian Duncan Coral.

I've had it since June 2016 and is has grown considerably. I would like to frag it but I'm a little scared of touching it as cutting it into pieces makes me a little nervous. If anyone here can tell me how to do it I'm all ears ??

Yes that one....if that is a Duncan that is the largest I have ever seen! Very nice!

I wish I was able to offer something in regards to fragging but I haven't made it there yet! :)

SPR

Ive just had some little frags delivered which are at the front of the tank, about 18 different ones which im going to spread around the new rocks ive added

Ive taken the photos from a different angle and lower light i think so here goes:

IMG_0406.JPGIMG_0416.JPGIMG_0421.JPGIMG_0429.JPGIMG_0443.JPGIMG_0433.JPGIMG_0432.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

Yes 18 - (not 18 banks though!)but there smallish so only cost around £250. I like to grow and nurture them!

I also buy large ones from LFS as well when I go, but I try not to go too often as then it does get expensive!

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Yes 18 - (not 18 banks though!)but there smallish so only cost around £250. I like to grow and nurture them!

I also buy large ones from LFS as well when I go, but I try not to go too often as then it does get expensive!

In my LFS, the frags start at 32 quid each ! I don't even look at the colonies. I'm thinking of buying some from masterfisch. Have you had a look at their website. Corals and fish are quite cheap, but I've never bought fish or corals via post. Apparently, there are many people who use this company and they have a good reputation.

SPR

In my LFS, the frags start at 32 quid each ! I don't even look at the colonies. I'm thinking of buying some from masterfisch. Have you had a look at their website. Corals and fish are quite cheap, but I've never bought fish or corals via post. Apparently, there are many people who use this company and they have a good reputation.

Hi Nobby
I will have a look at it as I've not seen them before.

My corals/colonies from LFS are £35 upwards - I've paid £85 for one!

I have used for my small frags 'mail order corals'and so far they have been very good. Had odd deaths with coral but not many and they gave credit. Very good and they don't send anything until you agree date and it before 12pm guaranteed.

Not done fish by mail order as yet but most of my clean up crew are from them.

Pat24601

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

I love those Blue Throated Triggers......actually, being an experienced scuba diver, I hate Triggers when diving! I've been attacked by one, and it's not nice !

SPR

I love those Blue Throated Triggers......actually, being an experienced scuba diver, I hate Triggers when diving! I've been attacked by one, and it's not nice !

That's why i don't go diving - thinks might bite me! I get nervous snorkelling!

The Blue Throat Triggers are a pair of characters and play together swirling in circles and all sorts of activities. They are great fun to watch and haven't ever been aggressive to anyone other than moving crabs around if they don't like were they are - they lift them off the floor swim up and drop them somewhere else. They haven't touched corals either.

They live under the rocks at the left hand side of my tank were they burrowed down. Fortunately i placed the rocks direct onto the glass bottom which makes me feel better especially now i have built the top left so it now resembles El Capitan in Yosemite!

Nobbygas

I saw a pair on sale for 190 Euro a while back. At the time I thought it was expensive, but that's only 95 Euro each. Next time I see some, I think I'll have to get them.
In the meantime, I saw a lovely White Cheeked Tang yesterday, and now I have to get him on the way home, because he's calling me.

Diving is actually pretty safe. It's only swimmers, snorkellers and surfers who get attacked !

SPR

I saw a pair on sale for 190 Euro a while back. At the time I thought it was expensive, but that's only 95 Euro each. Next time I see some, I think I'll have to get them.
In the meantime, I saw a lovely White Cheeked Tang yesterday, and now I have to get him on the way home, because he's calling me.

Diving is actually pretty safe. It's only swimmers, snorkellers and surfers who get attacked !

You are hilarious not! Lol.

Listen, I like to be the Apex predator were ever I am and in the ocean I'm not anywhere near so that will be that!

I paid I think £169 for the 2 paired triggers so your about right on price.

Let me know if you get the white cheek tang. Looks very nice and I might keep eye out for one as says reef safe.

Nobbygas

Gggrrrrrrr.....off I went yesterday to buy my White Cheeked Tang.......and some other anti-social git had beaten me to it !

SPR

Gggrrrrrrr.....off I went yesterday to buy my White Cheeked Tang.......and some other anti-social git had beaten me to it !

With these sort of things sometimes you have to be quick, but then again you don't want to buy something until checking it's ok for tank.

Just an update on the new NYOS Quantum 160 skimmer. I've been fine tuning it over the last week and when I checked it this morning my milk carton overflow was half full of black horrible smelly stuff which I have never seen the likes of before so I guess it's now ripping the stuff out of the tank a treat. It's not dry Skim it's still fluid nasty stuff.

Decided to get a new milk carton and put that one back in the fridge. Only joking! Lol

Nobbygas

You're lucky you can get those big plastic milk thingys in the UK. I can't get them in Germany.

With the NYOS, I found if I set it up from the box as instructed, the bubbles only came about halfway up the main chamber. I had to turn the large tube on the back to raise the levels sufficiently to reach the bayonet connector. Then I could start fiddling with the Water and Air dials.

SPR

You're lucky you can get those big plastic milk thingys in the UK. I can't get them in Germany.

With the NYOS, I found if I set it up from the box as instructed, the bubbles only came about halfway up the main chamber. I had to turn the large tube on the back to raise the levels sufficiently to reach the bayonet connector. Then I could start fiddling with the Water and Air dials.

Hi Mike/Nobby!

I can send you my old one if you want - might be a bit smelly when you get it !

On the NYOS i did exactly what you have done. I had to 'Close' the main tube to bring the water level just to the bayonet connector and then I left it there and just fine tuned it. When i closed it i couldn't figure out were the water would come out but it must do somewhere. I have adjusted it over the last week (it started overskimming one day), so i 'opened' the main tube a bit to lower the water level and I'm just fine tuning now and hence the dark skim has started.

I'm probably a week or so ahead of you on this so you should find in next week if you dial it in making small adjustments it will kick in once is settles. I also think the best time to set it is 2-3 hours after feeding when it really starts to rip the skim out.