Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

It was an interesting day today.

I firstly had to euthanise the Blonde Naso Tang before he was eaten and generally harassed by the other fish. He was breathing heavy and clearly on his way out of this world

Anyway I was thinking is there something wrong with the water, and about 1 hour later I received an email from Triton Labs saying my ICP test was ready

So here are the results, and this is the first ICP test I have ever had:

Magnesium is a little low which is the opposite to the Red Sea test kit which is always showing as high, so that’s in the bin and I’ve ordered the NYOS. I’ll top this up over the next week.

Iodine is showing low, and from my calculations the 47ug/l shortage is about 2 squirts of Red Sea Coral Colours A

I’ve added a double dose of all the Coral Colours and that should sort any short falls/tops up.

MoMolybdenum - I’ve found this can come from Nopox dosing and this is raised but I’ll do a few water changes. Triton advises 6 x 15% over 6 weeks

Phosphate is low which is were I keep it although slightly less than my target of 0.03ppm but we won’t chase numbers

Anyway it was very interesting, and a relief to get the results

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0662.jpgIMG_0663.jpgIMG_0664.jpg

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Good results. Like me, you have found the Red Sea Mag results read higher than they actually are. I found it was the same for Calc and Alk. I have lost faith in the Red Sea tests.
I wouldn't worry about Momo!y........em....that stuff. I can't find anything that says it's important!
I found that increasing the Colours A had no effect on Iodine and I now dose Iodine separately.
Triton results ALWAYS recommend six water changes. Don't know why.

All things considered you have to be really happy with those results.

Nobbygas

One more thing, I noticed you registered your tank as 650 litres instead of say, 550 litres (after displacement). This will have no effect on the results but it can change the amounts Triton recommend dosing for correcting elements.

I have asked this question previously with Triton. I have since changed mine to 550 litres.

Nobbygas

Is that two Tangs gone in the last week? Any signs that something may be wrong in the tank? I hope it's just 'one of those things'.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Is that two Tangs gone in the last week? Any signs that something may be wrong in the tank? I hope it's just 'one of those things'.
I think this is one of those things. They were both purchased as larger fish, rather than juveniles and both looked healthy and eating so I’m not concerned about anything

Watching how the Trigger fish were pecking at him it could have been bullying by someone but who knows.

A lesson for me re learned, is to only by juvenile fish.

I agree on the 550 litres, I thought that after I filled all the documents in but I’m not dosing triton elements anyway

SPR

Good results. Like me, you have found the Red Sea Mag results read higher than they actually are. I found it was the same for Calc and Alk. I have lost faith in the Red Sea tests.
I wouldn't worry about Momo!y........em....that stuff. I can't find anything that says it's important!
I found that increasing the Colours A had no effect on Iodine and I now dose Iodine separately.
Triton results ALWAYS recommend six water changes. Don't know why.

All things considered you have to be really happy with those results.

I’m very pleased and to be honest and having spotted the lack of magnesium, which is quiet important, it’s made me realise how poor the Red Sea Magnesium test is because it’s always been high. It also makes me realise it’s well worth having the triton done every 6 months or so

I’m now adding Foundation C and according to the dosage on the powder version it’s aprox 60g /100 litres so that’s around 3 20g scoops x 5.5 (550 litres) which seems an awful lot. Infact I’m still double checking it! I will spread this over around 7 days or so

And that’s just to get from around 1220ppm to 1310ppm and I want it higher than that

The instructions are
1g will raise the Mg level of 100 liters (25 gal) 1.34ppm.

So 5 using 500 litres for safety
5g = 1.34
1310-1220=90ppm increase required
90/1.34=67.16

67.16 x 5 = 335g

335g sounds an awful lot! PLEASE CHECK MY MATHS

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Bloody hell, you do realise it is a Sunday! I would normally mix up the whole lot in one go, fill up my dosing container, and the spare goes back into the plastic tub the powder came in, to be used to top up the dosing container. Just increase your dosage by say 10ml a day and test in a few days.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Bloody hell, you do realise it is a Sunday! I would normally mix up the whole lot in one go, fill up my dosing container, and the spare goes back into the plastic tub the powder came in, to be used to top up the dosing container. Just increase your dosage by say 10ml a day and test in a few days.
I have hardly ever dosed magnesium, because ‘it’s always been high’ and the dosing container is virtually empty. The powder is still in the tub.

I think what I’ll do it add around 50% of what the calculation is and then wait for the new NYOS test kit to arrive

As a matter of interest, I’ve just read for the first time the accuracy of the Red Sea Magnesium test kits, apparently there are 2 now, one with an accuracy of 100ppm (what!) and the other 50ppm, so not very accurate!

The NYOS is shown as accurate to 15ppm

https://www.redseafish.com/reef-care-program/marine-care-program/magnesium/

https://www.nyos.info/en/testkits/reefer-test-kits/magnesium-reefer

SPR

I can’t believe Red Sea sell a Magnesium kit that’s accurate to +/-100ppm ! That’s utter rubbish and I’ve not seen that on the web site until recently. People think there levels are fine at say 1310 when actually they could be very low at 1210 or 1410...!

The calcium tests are not much better from what they are now advertising on their web site which I have never seen before.

https://www.redseafish.com/reef-care-program/marine-care-program/calcium-test-kit/

https://www.nyos.info/en/testkits/reefer-test-kits/calcium-reefer

I’ve just ordered the NYOS calcium as well. I think Red Sea need to up their game on the test kits although it looks like there’s maybe a new slightly better range of kits as well.

Last edited:

SPR

I seem to be struggling with possible fish aggression, as whenever I add new fish to the tank these days, it’s not always a happy ending. ive often thought the main culprit was the Coral Beauty, but there’s also the dominance of the Triggers, Regal Tang etc to cope with.

I think the main reason may be feeding issues or lack of food, and of course potential bullying, for example I added 5 small Lyretail anthias to join the existing ones (the LFS said it should be ok!) but they were quiet small and I’m not certain of their long terms survival

Anyway, I’ve been looking at this and in my mind I’m thinking acclimatisation box to keep the new fish ‘safe’ while everyone gets used to each other for a few days/week rather than just dumping the new fish in and hoping they make it.

https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/...MI186DqdjJ3wIVR7TtCh1hXw19EAQYAyABEgJHaPD_BwE

SPR

Well without delay I’ve ordered it of eBay (cheaper) so on the basis it’s an experiment I shall need to visit the LFS when it arrives to try out the new acclimatisation box, or should we call it the
‘let’s get acquainted box’

Nobbygas

Well without delay I’ve ordered it of eBay (cheaper) so on the basis it’s an experiment I shall need to visit the LFS when it arrives to try out the new acclimatisation box, or should we call it the
‘let’s get acquainted box’
I use my fish trap for this very same thing. As well as putting new fish into the trap, i also sprinkle a few grey plastic pipe bits around it, the same type as people use in their QT's. This can change the territory for some fish. They are easy to take out after a couple of days.

SPR

I use my fish trap for this very same thing. As well as putting new fish into the trap, i also sprinkle a few grey plastic pipe bits around it, the same type as people use in their QT's. This can change the territory for some fish. They are easy to take out after a couple of days.
The Aqua Medic fish trap, it was just cheaper for a new one on eBay

The plastic pipes are a great idea as well, as they can hide rather than being stared at constantly by the ‘monsters’ just a few mm away!

I should have done this a while ago, but in reality it’s only become a serious issue probably over the past 6 months or so.

Nobbygas

The Aqua Medic fish trap, it was just cheaper for a new one on eBay

The plastic pipes are a great idea as well, as they can hide rather than being stared at constantly by the ‘monsters’ just a few mm away!

I should have done this a while ago, but in reality it’s only become a serious issue probably over the past 6 months or so.
I have the same thing with Wrasse. The Banana and Tamarin are killers. The pipes do work. They have the same effect as moving the rocks, plus they provide a safe place for the new fish to hide in. I weigh mine down with old magnets I've got laying around. They do look ugly, but it's only for a couple of days.

SPR

I have the same thing with Wrasse. The Banana and Tamarin are killers. The pipes do work. They have the same effect as moving the rocks, plus they provide a safe place for the new fish to hide in. I weigh mine down with old magnets I've got laying around. They do look ugly, but it's only for a couple of days.
There all very good ideas and thanks for the tips

SPR

So then, who would like to hear about my New Years Eve 2019!

I was sat watching the tank and following the recent losses of the Freckle Face and Naso Tangs, and also suddenly realising the Kole Eyed Tang has disappeared, I was eyeing the Chevron Tang with concern.

He looked very lethargic and was either at the side of a rock, or near the top of the tank depending on who was bothering him.

Anyway, I was looking at him and became convinced I could see some spots. I’ve had some Polyp Lab Medic for a while so thought best use it as something is clearly killing the fish

So I added it to the tank as per the instructions (which DO NOT say mix first with tank water!). Anyway in it went and the mushroom corals (or the green things below!)basically exploded!

IMG_0337.jpg

This picture doesn’t show the full impact of all the debris released, but I was stood there, eyes wide open thinking OMFG!!

Anyway after an agonising hour or so, the waters cleared, and the following morning all was well. I added another dose of Medic, mixed in tank water first (which I learned from other users via utube!)and no issues.

Anyway the morning progressed and I’m awaiting the appearance of the Chevron as he’s often a late riser but no sign so far.

Anyway time went on and my grandson came in (I’m a young grandpa! Lol) and said Gandad, one of vyour fishes isn’t wery well..... so I said I’ll come and have a look.....

IMG_0339.jpg

Mmmmm. The poor Chevron was still alive so I freed him and euthanised him

So then thinking back, ALL my recent fish loses are since I added the new anemone, we shall call it The Accused

10803746336_IMG_3411.jpg

I believe the Naso Tang slept at night just to the side of the anemone and when I removed him he had no signs of immediate ‘bad’ injury as per the picture. His fins were being pecked by the Triggers and Regal Tang which is why I removed him. But heavy breathing.... signs of being stung maybe in hindsight.....

IMG_0669.jpg

The Freckle Face Tang, aka GSP eater, is a mystery although he could have been poisoned/stung or maybe he could have got to close to an anemone, as part of him was being eaten by my small white anemone

Anyway what to do.....

All other fish seem fine with no issues, currently, and I’m starting to think this recent addition could well be the cause of death for some of the fish who were potentially not aware of anemone stings/eating habits depending on were they came from or if they were tank bred for example

Polyp Lab Medic, I cant see any reason to continue using this and there are no signs of anything on other fish so I think I’ll stop treatment as this was probably a knee jerk reaction.

I’ve just changed the UVC bulb so that’s all back up to full power

Anyway, thoughts greatly appreciated, but that sweet colourful Red Tip Bubble Anemone, The Accused isn’t as sweet as it looks are my thoughts.......