Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Nobbygas

I know, but i didn't know if it was artistic or not !lol

That's why I couldn't make my mind up!
I work for the Deutsche Börse, which has what is claimed to be a valuable Photographic Art Collection. There are photos from the collection placed inside the whole building. When I look at some of the photos, I have to just shake my head as I cannot believe that money was actually spent purchasing them. I'm afraid I really do not understand what is 'art'.

SPR

Very nice. How are you getting on with the Red Sea Mesh Cover? Is it a PITA when you feed?
It’s fine. When I feed frozen cubes I just lift it up slightly and drop the cubes in.

The Apex auto feeder just drops pellets in through the holes in the mesh and anything else like Reef Energy etc., you just lift it slightly and pour in. It’s very easy to lift on and off and I would buy it again if I needed one.

You can’t see it unless your looking above the tank so it doesn’t really spoil the system.

Nobbygas

It’s fine. When I feed frozen cubes I just lift it up slightly and drop the cubes in.

The Apex auto feeder just drops pellets in through the holes in the mesh and anything else like Reef Energy etc., you just lift it slightly and pour in. It’s very easy to lift on and off and I would buy it again if I needed one.

You can’t see it unless your looking above the tank so it doesn’t really spoil the system.
"You can’t see it unless your looking above the tank so it doesn’t really spoil the system" - But I'm 7' 6" in my Cuban Heels !

SPR

Everything is doing fine with the tank.

I’ve started to use extra filter wool as I’m trying to keep the Rhowaphos reactor from clogging up with debris as it’s fed from the main return pump and chamber.

I’ve got some wool just after the skimmer and I’ve added a second piece wedged in the return chamber. It’s quiet effective and is very ‘brown’ by the time I change it roughly every week.

If your wondering what the elastic band is, it’s to hold up the built in ATO float valve when I do a water change. And the rubber washer belongs to the return hose pipe, and I forgot to put it in! Lol

Here’s an up to date photo of the sump and life support!

93a716b81b505802d0d0c669f2ae1221.png

Nobbygas

Just my observation......Instead of having such a large chunk of floss by the return pump, you could place a much smaller piece in the Carbon Chamber (under the milk carton). Break it up to fit nicely in there. As ALL the flow must pass through the Carbon Chamber, there is a better chance of catching any muck. Just use your Carbon Bag (and is that a Purigen Bag?) to sit on top of it and hold it in place.

SPR

Yes it’s a bag of Purigen (that’s ready for changing) and your correct all flow has to go through that part of the sump.

I haven’t put the floss in there because with the skimmate container, carbon etc., it would be a pain to change the floss, and secondly I would be concerned at creating a dam effect especially if I was away.

By putting it next to the return pump, it can be changed in seconds and also there is no way it can interrupt the flow of water back to the pump.

It just all adds up to extra mechanical filtration. It might be an idea for you to use when your away to collect debris once the socks are full. It’s actually very effective and you just throw it away.

Nobbygas

Ha, but my super duper brand new all-singing, all-dancing Red Sea Filter Cups arrive tomorrow. I just need to leave a bowl, with about twenty pieces of floss, already washed out, so that the MiL can just replace the floss in the cups. None of this 'socks are full' nonsense, oh no Sir.

SPR

Ha, but my super duper brand new all-singing, all-dancing Red Sea Filter Cups arrive tomorrow. I just need to leave a bowl, with about twenty pieces of floss, already washed out, so that the MiL can just replace the floss in the cups. None of this 'socks are full' nonsense, oh no Sir.
When you get chance take a few pictures and do a review of them

Nobbygas

No pictures yet. First, I have to get my brand new Samsung Galaxy S9+ working, and then my pictures will rock!

However, I did install the cups today. The packaging was standard Red Sea. Good thick cardboard box. The cups themselves are made from a 'soft feel' plastic, and appear to be nice and strong. Like all things Red Sea, they seem well built. The cups also come with a small black bag for putting some form of media into.The cups fitted perfectly into the sock slots on the S-650, no worries there. I added filter floss to about 2/3rds of the cup. The first thing I noticed is that with socks, when you put cleans ones in, you tend to get a water dribbling sound from them. This disappears with the cups.
Other than that there isn't much more to say. I can only comment further when I see the results of the cups after a couple of days.

SPR

I added a Tomini Tang about 4 weeks ago, he’s very small, about an inch long, and very sweet.

He hid in the rocks for the first 2 weeks and I thought I’d lost him. He was getting some serious bullying from the usual Coral Beauty bully of the tank!

He’s now all settled in and eating well and swimming around and hence I’ve been able to get a few pictures of him.

7585975712_IMG_2694.JPG7585975712_IMG_2695.JPG7585975712_IMG_2693.JPG7585975712_IMG_2691.JPG