Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

I happen to have a little free time on Monday, oh and Wednesday too, and happened to accidentally drive to my LFS were several things fell into plastic bags, as they do!!

A got a few more corals and 2 more anthias for my 'shoal'! The anthias are really beautiful.

IMG_0837.JPGIMG_0839.JPGIMG_0840.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG

Just to give you an idea of there size

IMG_0841.JPGIMG_0842.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SPR

What is the 'wrap up' coral called? I like things like that.
I believe it's called a Fungi Coral but I can't remember for the life of me the 'make' as my brain can't cope with such names!! Lol

The small green one to the left of it is also a Fungi Coral but with smaller tentacles.

The larger one sort of wraps itself up as you can see. Quiet fascinating to watch.....

Nobbygas

The names of many corals just totally escape me ! First off, I only see them labelled in German, so I usually try to make note of the Latin name (if that's possible).......obviously, by the time I get home it's disappeared from my brain ! It's the same with fish. I always have to take my fish book with me, and look up the Latin name of the fish.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

My Regal Tang has decided he likes the taste of zoa's and has decided to start eating the green one at the top right of the rock structure! I'm currently looking at fish traps!

He was swimming around like a lunatic yesterday looking for food and only stopped when I put a seaweed clip in. I'm wondering if I should start feeding them a little more. He is quiet a big fish now so I assume he needs more food?

I currently feed 2 frozen cubes (gamma) of 6 variations (mysis etc) around 1-2pm and then about 3 pinches of mixed pellets around 4-5pm. About twice a week I add some seaweed on a clip.

I am conscious of any increase in nutrients (nitrates mainly) and when I put the food in it all goes straight away and certainly within a minute or so. It's a mad feeding frenzy!

You can see how many fish I have. They are all healthy but any thoughts on how much they should be fed ?

The accused.......
36c00b8cc1faa615bf9fe9aace6dfcdc.jpg

Nobbygas

I know the fish like Anthias need to be fed three or four times a day. Some fish eat a little, but often. On a weekend I may feed the tank four or five times, but I try to ensure that the total amount is the same, so each 'serving' is a little less than normal. For example, I also feed two frozen cubes at a time, but I tend to just splash a small amount in each feed, and spread it over say, four feeds/four hours. I usually leave the food by the tank, then as I pass I just plop another small amount in.
I personally think that if the fish are well fed, then it reduces aggression and limits the amount of corals they nip.
I work shifts, so feeding times are a bit unusual.

SPR

Can anyone ID this pink coral thats seems to be growing on one a purchased a few months ago? Not sure if its a xenia or similar?

And if you can any ideas how to kill it off?

IMG_0881.JPG

Nobbygas

Could very well be Xenia, but I'm not 100% sure. Are the Polyps 'pulsing'?
One of the most beautiful things I've seen diving is a huge Xenia colony, which must have been 10 metres wide, and 6 metres from top to bottom. Fantastic. However, it can be invasive in a tank.

Now, in my old small tank I had some Apstasia and some Xenia. I bought a Filefish to eat the Aps, which he did, but he also ate the Xenia!

SPR

Yes that's the problem its invasive, oh and it's offends my eye!lol

At the moment the polyps are small but I seem to have seen these before in the tank elsewhere and they grew which is why I'm thinking Xenia but again I could be wrong as I'm certainly no Coral ID expert

I might snap the rock off and take the green Coral off and take the rock with the Xenia or whatever out of the water. That should get It!

I've been running with a 12x8 ish 2 inch thick piece of filter wool in the sump to collect any stray debris. After about 4 weeks my nitrates went from around 10 to 16 so I don't know if the wool became a Nitrate factory but I've taken it out now. I changed it once a week when in use. Hopefully the nitrates will drop back.

Whitey1973

Looks like a pulsing Xenia to me... fast growing and takes over if not careful, you will probably have to take it out and pick it out

melvis

Hi Shaun

I've got the same in my tank, along with pulsing xenia so I'm pretty sure it's not that. Have a look around the sand bed, as these seem to have runners that sprout along. In fact, mine have grown from a small number around my spiny brain to growing into my pulsing xenia. Will try and get a pic when lights come on.

Whitey1973

Hi Shaun, I think it was you that mentioned about a new uk apex unit coming out this year, have you been told when? And where from please

SPR

The 2016 Apex is available in the UK now but it comes with the EB6 energy bar, so it's the older version without the monitoring features etc. I have been told by 2 LFS's that the EB8 version may be available later this year. I was also told on RC that the official company line was they had no plans to release one for the uk but that probably means nothing.

To be honest I don't know if I am going to get one anyway now. I have tried to make things as easy as possible, with a large ATO reservoir for example, but it just seems to me I may be creating a major single point of potential failure by adding Apex in the event it fails for whatever reason. I'm not knocking it in any way as it looks a fantastic system, but I just can't make my mind up now if I want it as my system is fairly straight forward and I'm not away from it generally for more than a few hours apart from holiday periods.... when it might be nice to see the monitoring! Hence I can't make my mind up.

I'm not bothered by the cost of it, it's just something else to break/maintain and make my head hurt programming it. And there is also Mindstream being developed although I appreciate is a different type of system control wise etc.

Last edited:

SPR

So where is our resident diver, artist impressionist and trigger expert. Calling Nobbygas! Lol

I believe mr and mrs trigger have decided that there 'nest' will be the left hand side of my tank. Whenever I put a rock or anything there they pick it up and throw it out!!

Forgive the video not being HD. It wouldn't let me upload it but you'll get the general idea.

Nobbygas

I would say that when they adopt that head down/arse up position and start digging around, they are preparing their nest.
It's great just watching the critters isn't it!

Nobbygas

Looking good. Are you finding feeding the Clam easy?.....and those Triggers. Can you please photoshop them out. They keep giving me urges !

SPR

Looking good. Are you finding feeding the Clam easy?.....and those Triggers. Can you please photoshop them out. They keep giving me urges !

No! I like to tease you!

How do I feed my clam easy. Well I just use Red Sea Reef Energy every day and throw in some phytoplankton every 3 or so days. That's all I do, so yes it's very easy!

The clam is doing very well so I assume it likes what I give it, along with everything else that gets some.