Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Shaun what kind of salt are you using and what’s the WC schedule?
I use the Red Sea standard salt on both tanks apart from about 12 months (when I used the Pro on the S650) that’s all I’ve ever used.

As far as water changes I’m probably around 5% per week. Ive got 2 very different systems but their now established systems

The large tank is fed with a calcium reactor using rowalith w Media, which is old coral skeleton so as it breaks down all the elements should be released and I don’t reallly add much else.

I’ve used the RS colours but in reality it’s probably mainly water and I’ve not noticed any difference not using them. I won’t be buying any more once finished as I feel nominal water changes should replace anything along with the rowalith and that’s why I’m at about 5% per week if that. I’m slowly lowering water changes in the big system

To be honest, with the X Filter roller mat and modern filtration there is a very good argument for no water changes or minimal, maybe @Nobbygas can help here. I’m only really doing them in the large tank to replace anything I might not be adding and that must be nominal and hence im reducing the daily amount of water changes

Last edited:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thanks for that. I only change water now for nutrient control but as the tank stabilizes, I agree that the argument of less frequent changes is needed give. The presence of a ca reactor. Trace elements are a pro of water changes.

regardless, tank looks great!!

Nobbygas

Yep, I don't do water changes. Once a year I will give the Sump a clean and that is the only time I do a water change. My ATO adds 38 liters of fresh water over every four or five days. I add the required Red Sea Colours AB & D ( don't need C) ICP tests every six months show everything is hunky dory.

SPR

Yep, I don't do water changes. Once a year I will give the Sump a clean and that is the only time I do a water change. My ATO adds 38 liters of fresh water over every four or five days. I add the required Red Sea Colours AB & D ( don't need C) ICP tests every six months show everything is hunky dory.
You have me thinking as I once didn’t change the water in the S650 for around 6 months, and it looked no different…….

I might amend the daily schedules to just do a complete system water change on both, but just once a year. So roughly speaking in the large tank, 2000 divided by 365……. With my filtration systems, and the calcium reactor media, Im thinking why….

Infact I’ve just amended the Apex DOS schedules on both systems….. but I’ve left the big tank on a little bit more for the time being

Nobbygas

It's that age old question, why do we do water changes? Is it to replace used up elements? If so, a 20% water change will only top them up by 20% ? It would need a 100% water change to move all elements back to 100%.
Fresh water goes in via the ATO, salt is salt and doesn't evaporate. Using a product like Red Sea Colours replaces any reduced elements. You hear time and time again that stability is key to running a successful aquarium, so why do a 10%/20% water change every week? That really doesn't promote stability.
It may not work for everyone, but it works for me.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

It's that age old question, why do we do water changes? Is it to replace used up elements? If so, a 20% water change will only top them up by 20% ? It would need a 100% water change to move all elements back to 100%.
Fresh water goes in via the ATO, salt is salt and doesn't evaporate. Using a product like Red Sea Colours replaces any reduced elements. You hear time and time again that stability is key to running a successful aquarium, so why do a 10%/20% water change every week? That really doesn't promote stability.
It may not work for everyone, but it works for me.
No (or yes!)I agree completely with you, in my case in the large tank, I believe the rowalith w calcium reactor media releases various elements which were taken up by the original corals it’s made from back into the water

I don’t have any high nutrient issues so……

Last edited: