Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

I discovered today why my RODI system seemed to be taking an absolute age to fill the 2 x 425 litre water tanks, and I’m talking days and days...... I had put it down to the size of them...

I happen to look at my original RODI system, still in use on a different setup, and noticed the ‘flush valve’ was in a different position to the one in the fish room. There exactly the same systems.

My mind has been all over the place thinking about a million different things, and clearly I’d left the system in ‘flush mode’ and it was making water at about 1 drop per second if that!!!

I noticed this because I was in the process of installing a booster pump to boost the output pressure to it because it was low. It was low because some idiot left it in flush mode and most of the water was going down the drain!!

I’ll need the pump anyway to refill the saltwater tank quick when it’s emptied

Its nearly as bad as leaving the plastic cling films around the prefilters on the original system which were on for 6 months. I only noticed when I took them out to replace and they were as good as new!!

Last edited:

Nobbygas

I discovered today why my RODI system seemed to be taking an absolute age to fill the 2 x 425 litre water tanks, and I’m talking days and days...... I had put it down to the size of them...

I happen to look at my original RODI system, still in use on a different setup, and noticed the ‘flush valve’ was in a different position to the one in the fish room. There exactly the same systems.

My mind has been all over the place thinking about a million different things, and clearly I’d left the system in ‘flush mode’ and it was making water at about 1 drop per second if that!!!

I noticed this because I was in the process of installing a booster pump to boost the output pressure to it because it was low. It was low because some idiot left it in flush mode and most of the water was going down the drain!!

I’ll need the pump anyway to refill the saltwater tank quick when it’s emptied

Its nearly as bad as leaving the plastic cling films around the prefilters on the original system which were on for 6 months. I only noticed when I took them out to replace and they were as good as new!!
Are you Forrest Gump?

SPR

Are you Forrest Gump?
I looked like something similar this morning!

I was sat doing what gentlemen do of a morning, minding my business, when all of a sudden I heard gurgling, apex alarms one after another,, running water, the Tunze high water alarm shrieking, and my wife shouting Shaun, Shaun, Shaun!!!

it doesn’t matter how many times you hear it, that sound of running water cascading around a fish tank strikes the fear of god into me every time I hear it, even when I’ve planned it! Lol

So I walked towards the room, sort of looking through one eye, squinting at what I would be presented with........

The Abyzz was surging, bubbles everywhere, more apex alarms.....

So I was sat thinking what’s wrong with the Abyzz, it keeps restarting and then i listened. The Apex energy bar socket was switching on and off, causing the Abyzz to restart

So I went outside in the dark to the back of the tank, and then the leak detector alarm went off at the back of the tank, which is always worrying when you have 2000 litres involved! To my utter shear delight, 2000 litres was still safely inside the tank

So what happened. Well, because the plumbing is new, as a safety feature I programmed the apex to make the Abyzz switch off if the leak detector triggered in case of any plumbing leaks etc and as an emergency shut off. The detector has done its job, sort off, but it had just detected some slight moisture in the air because it’s damp/winter, and was quickly switching the socket on and off.

So problem solved, I’ve amended the program to not turn the pump off automatically, but to just tell me, and then if need be I’ll turn it off!

And now I can get on with my day.........

Nobbygas

But you've changed your underpants.......and you are sitting near the tank, just in case !

So, when does the ATM Colony and the first fish go in?

Water - Check
Salt - Check
Temp. - Check

For God's sakes man, what is the hold up?

Have you bought an ICP Test Kit yet (Triton?). I'd suggest you send one off near the beginning just to give you a baseline to use for the tank. In theory, just using the salt mix should give you correct parameters all over the place! On a tank this large I'd be tempted to send one off every month for the first six months !

SPR

But you've changed your underpants.......and you are sitting near the tank, just in case !

So, when does the ATM Colony and the first fish go in?

Water - Check
Salt - Check
Temp. - Check

For God's sakes man, what is the hold up?

Have you bought an ICP Test Kit yet (Triton?). I'd suggest you send one off near the beginning just to give you a baseline to use for the tank. In theory, just using the salt mix should give you correct parameters all over the place! On a tank this large I'd be tempted to send one off every month for the first six months !
Nahhh I don’t need Triton I’m an advanced aquarist don’t you know! Lol

I do have a Triton test kit already actually,but I’ll only send it maybe after a year or so, it’s mainly for the S650 at the moment.

Anyway, for all the inpatient ones....

Water checked
Salt checked
Temp checked
Foundations elements, will be checked today

Today is the day the first fish will go in shortly after adding the ATM Colony

SPR

When is the Trident coming in?
It’s not Pancho, although it’s not available here in the UK yet anyway.

I’ve decided that it takes me about 10 minutes every week to test all water parameters on the S650, and now the 2000 custom.

If I had Trident, it needs maintaining refilling etc etc., and it’s just something else to worry about so I’m sticking to the basics

SPR

So then what have I been doing today.

You recall the NYOS Quantum was failing and I ordered a new pump and impeller. Well it was taking a while, and I was getting nervous without a skimmer and my massive bioload. So I thought it might be handy to have a spare which will also making cleaning easier with one to swap out.

So yesterday I ordered a new NYOS Quantum 160 which arrived today and it’s now installed. I’m just awaiting the new parts for the old skimmer which is soaking in vinager, and then I’ll reassemble it and use it alternatively with the new one.

I’d forgotten what a beautiful silent piece of kit this is when new, it’s a work of art and I can see now my old NYOS had been failing for a few months, now I can see how the bubbles are supposed to look.

As the new skimmer was arriving, I decided the sump in the S650 was looking a bit filthy. I do water changes from there at about 120 litres a time, and I haven’t done one (other than the new DOS changes) for 6 months. Hence the sump was dirty.

The amount of gunk that was going down the python water changer was incredible, but anyway it’s refilled and I’ll probably clean the sump once a year like this as all water changes are now done via Apex DOS

Below is after I just switched it on and I have a bit of a tip here for any NYOS users on how to adjust the tall column at the back

You may recall that I also have the NYOS Quantum 300, but on the 300 you can’t turn the long tube, it has a locking screw through it, so you only use the fine adjustment wheel at the top. I’ve tried this on the 160 and by just turning the fine wheel, it makes it much easier to fine adjust. If you turn the long tall tube, it closes the hole at the bottom and then you don’t actually now how closed it is. Hopefully this makes sense!

4aa9b8cc-dd0b-47a6-9a4d-645f0258f52b-jpeg.1335987

Pancho75

It’s not Pancho, although it’s not available here in the UK yet anyway.

I’ve decided that it takes me about 10 minutes every week to test all water parameters on the S650, and now the 2000 custom.

If I had Trident, it needs maintaining refilling etc etc., and it’s just something else to worry about so I’m sticking to the basics
What? come one do not start counting beans after all the money you have spend. I know Neptune will soon release the Trident for Europe....

Reactions: SPR

SPR

What? come one do not start counting beans after all the money you have spend. I know Neptune will soon release the Trident for Europe....
It’s not money Pancho, I’m just not bothered about it as I only test once a week and it’s just more maintenance. If you asked me 6 months ago, I would have snapped one up but not now I think.

I’m making everything very low maintenance. The new tank has 1 pump that hardly needs cleaning. The S 650 has 6 pumps that all need cleaning.

Pancho75

It’s not money Pancho, I’m just not bothered about it as I only test once a week and it’s just more maintenance. If you asked me 6 months ago, I would have snapped one up but not now I think.
You were supposed to try it first so I don’t do an stupid purchase my friend ! lol

SPR

Here you go

Shaun’s 2000 Litre (530usg) Fish List

Green Chromis x 9
Yellow Chromis x 6
Black Bar Chromis x 8
Springers Damsels x 7 (they eat bad things and aren’t as antisocial as other types!)

More to follow and I’m going to start adding some corals over the next few days, and also set up the Twin Tech