Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Seriously though. We both started around the same time with our S-650's and remember at that time we thought these were the biggest tanks in the world ! Fer gawd's sake, we had sumps for the first time! How exciting was that !
Looking back I bet there is loads of stuff you've bought, tried, and then dumped. I think every aquarist in the world does this. It's all about the learning curve and finding out what works for the tank, and for you. With Shaun's Ocean World it's probably best to fall back on the experiences picked up along the journey. Stuff like Calcium Reactor's may sound fine and dandy, but maybe it's better to get the new tank up, running and stable before you attempt something that is new to you. You'll need a baseline of results before adding new equipment otherwise how will you know what effect the new equipment has? Anyway, there is no point in doing everything in one go otherwise in eighteen months time you'll be thinking, "I'm bored". Leave some stuff out to research and then maybe introduce it later.
As always my friend, this is not a criticism, just me banging my thoughts out.
I completely agree and the calcium reactor idea is on the back burner oh wise one!

And yes the BBQ might be on hold unless you both like winter ones!

Im actually going to keep the ALR2 in storage in my plastic shed thats being built as we speak, I might use it in the new system in the future as its out of the way in there and no nasty light spill in the sump which i hate as it creates all sorts of unwanted growth. So as and when I remove it Ill hang on to it.

Nobbygas

I completely agree and the calcium reactor idea is on the back burner oh wise one!

And yes the BBQ might be on hold unless you both like winter ones!

Im actually going to keep the ALR2 in storage in my plastic shed thats being built as we speak, I might use it in the new system in the future as its out of the way in there and no nasty light spill in the sump which i hate as it creates all sorts of unwanted growth. So as and when I remove it Ill hang on to it.
You can pop it in that box. You know, the one we all have. It's either in the garage/loft/basement. It's where we place the stuff that we may use again one day. The longer you keep an aquarium, the bigger the box gets !

SPR

So then a little up date of what’s been happening today.

The maintenance free (plastic) shed has been built and put into place along with the 2 425 litre water containers, one for RODI and one for fresh saltwater.

I supervised the build once again to make sure it was all done correctly ........ a builder does it properly, I get easily fed up or distracted and don’t......

And before anybody spots the brass outlets on the outside of the tanks, they’re undrilled so that’s just on the out side part, not inside which is sealed.

The shed isn’t finished yet as it’s going to be insulated with Kingspan insulation and then 12mm wooden panels will be installed throughout including the roof and it will also have a shelf above the tanks. This will mean I can attach other equipment like for example the UVC, Chiller, etc rather than having it under the sump.

Anyway pictures.......

IMG_0769.JPGIMG_0770.JPGIMG_0772.JPGIMG_0773.JPGIMG_0775.JPGIMG_0777.JPG

SPR

How are you going to insulate them?
The whole shed will be insulated with Kingspan insulation, and if need be I’ll either wrap them as well or just drop a heater in each of them over winter on the lowest setting.

I’ll also probably hang my electric greenhouse heater in there as well for a bit of extra protection. It won’t freeze that’s for sure.

SPR

how long do you intend to store the water in the containers for at a time?
The RODI will auto refill so will be a constant change. But I store RODI now for months in plastic containers.

The fresh saltwater made from Red Sea Standard salt will be mixed and then the mixing pumps will be turned off and left off with an occasional mix every week or so.

Before I decided on the water tank size I considered storage of the saltwater.

BRS TV did an experiment on wether or not saltwater deteriorates over time, affects on alkalinity etc., and basically the result concluded there was minimal effect. Here..

chickenjohn

The RODI will auto refill so will be a constant change. But I store RODI now for months in plastic containers.

The fresh saltwater made from Red Sea Standard salt will be mixed and then the mixing pumps will be turned off and left off with an occasional mix every week or so.

Before I decided on the water tank size I considered storage of the saltwater.

BRS TV did an experiment on wether or not saltwater deteriorates over time, affects on alkalinity etc., and basically the result concluded there was minimal effect. Here..

Yeah ive seen all the salt videos, particularly liked the one which shows there is no settling of elements in the bucket, so now I don't roll the bucket around like a madman for an hour.

SPR

Do you run triton or similar?
Ive noticed more and more people don't do water changes, how do you replenish trace elements?
No I don’t run Triton, I dose foundation elements as required and use Red Sea corals colours for trace elements. Triton is basically full refugium and adding what’s needed (from Triton) and no or minimal water changes and I suppose it’s ideal for large systems if you don’t want to do water changes.

I’m going back to water changes because long term I feel this is the way to go and until recently it’s how the S650 has been run. it helps with nutrient control and all sorts of things.

The current tank is a major long term project so that’s why I’m automating things like water change etc from the very start. It will make life and general maintenance much easier and I can also integrate the S650 which might actually be the first thing I do once the water system is ready. Apex DOS and a few tubes and that’s it.

Last edited:

Nobbygas

In a small attempt to help you out Shaun, I've compiled a detailed Project Plan for your new Shaun's Ocean World. You may, or may not, want to adopt it, or even bits of it.

Project Plan - Time

1. Chuck in Rocks - Soonish
2. Check in Sand - Soonish
3. Fill with water. - Soonish
4. Chuck in fish and corals - A bit later
5. BBQ ! - June/July.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

In a small attempt to help you out Shaun, I've compiled a detailed Project Plan for your new Shaun's Ocean World. You may, or may not, want to adopt it, or even bits of it.

Project Plan - Time

1. Chuck in Rocks - Soonish
2. Check in Sand - Soonish
3. Fill with water. - Soonish
4. Chuck in fish and corals - A bit later
5. BBQ ! - June/July.
I can see project coordination is your forte! Lol

All correct apart from you’ve missed out the main but which is building all the plumbing and systems into place, which is what’s taking the time. I’m still awaiting plumbing parts. I’m a bit reluctant to get them from somewhere else as I want them all the same colour

I’m currently debating the sump cabinet lights. The LED strip ones I’ve installed in the cabinet seem to be peeling off, an effect of gravity, sunlight etc. I’m not going to permanently fasten them because they aren’t the best quality and I’m not screwing to the underside of the tank

The shed is not covering most of the patio doors now so there is a lot of natural light into the sump so it’s bright in the daytime, but I may need to address this (algae growth etc)

I basically want cool white or daylight white otherwise warm light which I have now makes the sump look dingy.

So I’m currently debating either these, which are the same/similar as in the 650 and are on a 12v transformer. I would also attach these with heavy duty Velcro which will hold them

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/...lf_p6907505.html?category_id=4001&prm=1.4.1.1

But then I think why not something like this which is IP66 rated

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QTZGM8Q/

The connecting to full electric concerns me a little, but then again this would be screwed to the wooden frame at the rear of the sump, so a permanent fixing. It would only be ‘on’ when I’m around so no real worries of electrical issues. But I’m concerned so will probably go with the ones above which would be safer.

I’ve spent days trying to find something I like. Basically cool white, very bright and big enough to cover a 3 metre sump area, so any ideas greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Nobbygas

I think the second one looks like overkill.
The first one, is it safe with all the humidity you get in the Sump?

I think I would look for something with either a motion sensor, or a door opening switch, so you don't have to faff about when you open the doors to the sump.

Also, I'd suggest putting some 'foil' on the glass doors. It is cheap and there are many options, but it will restrict the light coming through without affecting the look of the doors.

SPR

I think the second one looks like overkill.
The first one, is it safe with all the humidity you get in the Sump?

I think I would look for something with either a motion sensor, or a door opening switch, so you don't have to faff about when you open the doors to the sump.
I know that’s exactly why I’m hesitating

I can attach a door opening switch controlled by Apex, and I have some for the S650 but haven’t attached them. It’s easier to just press ‘on’ on the Apex control screen

The patio doors will have some form of reflective thermal material on them at some point

Nobbygas

Just been thinking (yep, bored again in work) and when do you get the Solar Panels fitted onto the roof to help power this beast. Plus, you'd best get an air conditioning unit installed in the man cave to help with the huge amount of water evaporation that you can expect.

Seriously though, have you considered the amount of water evaporation and what steps to take to alleviate any potential damp problems?