Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Nobbygas

I was watching a video on sky news last night about this, it did go on about flip flops and plastic but then onto mass corals deaths and it just got me thinking in particular about temperature control... this is nothing heavy scientific and it’s a ‘news’ article but quiet interesting. This is the write up

https://news.sky.com/story/deep-ocean-live-daily-blog-coral-critters-under-threat-11650034

I know it’s very well documented with the numerous reefs affected but it makes me realise now that temperature stability is a key part of maintaining a reef tank especially with SPS corals long term.

Basically unless you can maintain stable temperature by other means you need a chiller and the variations I get from 25c (winter) to 29.5c (around now) are not acceptable and although my fan helps to some extent it’s not a long terms solution

My new system will have the Teco SK2000e installed as soon as it’s required or as soon as it comes with the heaters installed which should be shortly.

And I have decided that the only occupants not moving to a new larger home, are the anemone (because I don’t want it wandering and killing corals, or mincing up in an MP60!) and the Blue Face Angel. I’ve been watching him, yes you with the blue sweet face, and I know for sure hes eaten 2 elegance corals and has started on some softer corals now.

The Emperor Angel may be partially responsible (or at least joined in the party!) but do to his beauty he can stay and I’ll sacrifice the odd corals for him!
With the chiller, just make sure you have an 'exhaust' that goes outside. Where my tank is located it is impossible to do this resulting in the warm air being expelled into the room. At the moment I have my chiller set to 27 degrees. It kicks in if the temperature goes up to 28 degrees. Normally, I have it set to 26 (kick in at 27) but I found this was too low for the summer with the chiller coming on at least 8 times a day, so the tank does run warmer in the summer. My tank always seems to run about 4 degrees above the ambient room temperature. It's 32 degrees outside today. If I keep the ambient room temperature down to about 24, then the tank will run at 28, meaning the chiller will be kicking in quite often today.
As for temperature with the coral reefs, I have seen fantastic corals off the coast of Sudan where the water temperature was 31 degrees. I have also seen fantastic corals in the Indian Ocean where the water temperature was 24 degrees ! Corals, like all things with nature, adapt and overcome. Personally, if the water temperature in the ocean was to rise one degree over twenty years it is my opinion that it wouldn't affect the corals in the slightest. As someone who has dived in many places around the world, the most damage to coral reefs always appears to be storm damage.

SPR

With the chiller, just make sure you have an 'exhaust' that goes outside. Where my tank is located it is impossible to do this resulting in the warm air being expelled into the room. At the moment I have my chiller set to 27 degrees. It kicks in if the temperature goes up to 28 degrees. Normally, I have it set to 26 (kick in at 27) but I found this was too low for the summer with the chiller coming on at least 8 times a day, so the tank does run warmer in the summer. My tank always seems to run about 4 degrees above the ambient room temperature. It's 32 degrees outside today. If I keep the ambient room temperature down to about 24, then the tank will run at 28, meaning the chiller will be kicking in quite often today.
As for temperature with the coral reefs, I have seen fantastic corals off the coast of Sudan where the water temperature was 31 degrees. I have also seen fantastic corals in the Indian Ocean where the water temperature was 24 degrees ! Corals, like all things with nature, adapt and overcome. Personally, if the water temperature in the ocean was to rise one degree over twenty years it is my opinion that it wouldn't affect the corals in the slightest. As someone who has dived in many places around the world, the most damage to coral reefs always appears to be storm damage.

I suspect maybe stability it the key rather than actual number. Some of the things I’ve read about is bleaching were the zooxanthella leave the host, and then algae invasion can come into play

We try to keep different types of corals from different regions in one glass box......

The Teco will be housed in the outside plastic shed so won’t be an issue for either noise or exit air which is why I’ve decided to put it there. I remembered you saying something before about this especially were you live.

And I think I’ve decided on 200 litre storage containers as they are on auto fill and that will give me more room to keep equipment, such as the chiller outside if needed.

Nobbygas

One thing you are going to need is a 'method' of measuring water throughput on things like the Chiller. For example, my TECO 1000 needs a throughput of between 500 and 700lph (if my memory is correct). I tried using an Eheim 1000 pump for this, but it lost so much power going through the pipework it was only putting 300lph through. This can seriously damage the chiller, so I had to go for a much larger pump to achieve the 500/700lph target. I know you are feeding yours from the 'pipe spaghetti network' but you'll still need to know what throughput you are achieving.
Also, with the plastic shed, looking at other threads/forums people tend to line the inside with that padded stuff covered in silver foil to help keep the real cold out.

SPR

One thing you are going to need is a 'method' of measuring water throughput on things like the Chiller. For example, my TECO 1000 needs a throughput of between 500 and 700lph (if my memory is correct). I tried using an Eheim 1000 pump for this, but it lost so much power going through the pipework it was only putting 300lph through. This can seriously damage the chiller, so I had to go for a much larger pump to achieve the 500/700lph target. I know you are feeding yours from the 'pipe spaghetti network' but you'll still need to know what throughput you are achieving.
Also, with the plastic shed, looking at other threads/forums people tend to line the inside with that padded stuff covered in silver foil to help keep the real cold out.

Keep the ideas coming by the way:

Ive already ordered the 2 inch Neptune Apex Flow Sensor for the return pump and once the system arrives and I get my head around the plumbing, which Ive been studying, I will need a 1 inch flow sensor for the Chiller and also the UVC because as you say the flows are critical. The rhowaphos reactor wont need one

On the plastic shed you must be reading my mind because I have been reading up on 'plastic shed insulation' over the last few days! lol Its only really needed for a harsh winter, and I will have some backup protection from my greenhouse heater (thanks for that by the way) which will auto switch on if the temperature gets anywhere around 3c or thereabouts.

Bubble wrap is the least efficient, but easiest to install so Ive just got to decide what to put in. My brother is a builder (and hopefully will be building the shed or someone else will!!) so Ill ask him what he thinks. He tends to be a bit 'neater' than me on anything like this.

I will also have power into the shed so I can add heaters to the water containers to be switched on for the winter months on their lowest settings so all in all I don't think we need major thermal insulation, just something basic to help.

Nobbygas

Yeah, but it's that one cold night that can catch you out. For example, if the Membrane in your RO unit freezes, then it's knackered and will need replacing.
Maybe you can get one of the staff to sleep in there every night during the winter so they can cuddle the RO unit and keep it from freezing?
With the Chiller, if the throughput is too low then the element can ice up and cause blockages....and disaster !

SPR

Do you turn the pumps off for a picture like that? I see the reflection on the surface is quite still.

No, it’s a skill, you may have come across it, it’s called ‘photography’ my friend! Lol

I can simply freeze time......

To be serious, I never turn the pumps off, ever, especially those rear circulation pumps. And you know why. In case they won’t start and it suddenly becomes the biennial essential need to clean them!

I’m actually having my TV wall mounted and some additional sockets installed tomorrow for the tank arriving and I just know that woosey of an electrician (my builder brother) is going to want to turn the power off and endanger the lives of my fish. And my sanity if a pump doesn’t restart! I keep telling him a little tingle is good for the heart rhythm.....

He’s putting the TV up as it’s a 65 inch monster and although I managed to hang it on the current stand, it looks a little high were it’s going and I think we need some of those special builder ‘drilling and bolting into place so it won’t drop off’ skills’. Or at least I can blame someone else!

Last edited:

SPR

Now, if you were proactive you would have bought one of the backup battery units and used this as a 'test run'......or something.
I’ve got 3 coming on Friday with the equipment on a pallet delivery assuming it’s all arrived in stock

But the Ecotech battery backups only work for their equipment (assuming your not an electrician) but they just plug in and if the power goes down, the equipment just automatically continues to run for 30 + hours I think from memory

Ohhh. Just realised what you mean! Lol. Power going out!

I can test them by, well, switching the plug off.....

Nobbygas

I’ve got 3 coming on Friday with the equipment on a pallet delivery assuming it’s all arrived in stock

But the Ecotech battery backups only work for their equipment (assuming your not an electrician) but they just plug in and if the power goes down, the equipment just automatically continues to run for 30 + hours I think from memory

Ohhh. Just realised what you mean! Lol. Power going out!

I can test them by, well, switching the plug off.....
C'mon, you need to speed up. Remember the seven 'P's...Proper Planning & Preparation Prevent Piss Poor Performance.

Nobbygas

Next question. I assume you will do a water test on the tank first, so, what water will you use (tap water?) and as it is a large volume, what will you do with the water afterwards? If you use RO water, will you 're-cycle' it to use again. If tap water, will you just empty it onto the East Wing Lawn?

SPR

Next question. I assume you will do a water test on the tank first, so, what water will you use (tap water?) and as it is a large volume, what will you do with the water afterwards? If you use RO water, will you 're-cycle' it to use again. If tap water, will you just empty it onto the East Wing Lawn?
I don't think I should need to do a water test, the builders may do them but I don't think for one minute they would send leaking tanks out. They've been in business for 25+ years and there are barely any bad reviews of them and the odd one you get is someone being a bit funny and you can read between the lines.

I was going to ask them but thought better of it when I saw the quality of the workmanship on my tank when i viewed it. They really make a nice job and to be honest they are on par if not better than Red Sea easily, there that nice. Even the mesh fish lids are good quality and lift smoothly out. I'm really impressed with them to be honest.

I didn't do a leak test on the 650, infact it never crossed my mind to be honest.....

The water will be RODI but I may wash the Rolls with it first!

Nobbygas

I don't think I should need to do a water test, the builders may do them but I don't think for one minute they would send leaking tanks out. They've been in business for 25+ years and there are barely any bad reviews of them and the odd one you get is someone being a bit funny and you can read between the lines.

I was going to ask them but thought better of it when I saw the quality of the workmanship on my tank when i viewed it. They really make a nice job and to be honest they are on par if not better than Red Sea easily, there that nice. Even the mesh fish lids are good quality and lift smoothly out. I'm really impressed with them to be honest.

I didn't do a leak test on the 650, infact it never crossed my mind to be honest.....

The water will be RODI but I may wash the Rolls with it first!
You wash your own Rolls? How common.

SPR

I’ve just ordered a completely new RODI system including 2 auto shut off kits, 1 for the RO auto top off container and 1 for the fresh saltwater container.

There will be a 2 way diverter to split the line, and then shut of ball valves on the separate systems as the fresh saltwater doesn’t want to keep filling of course during a water change so I would just turn this off.

847D856D-980E-4D04-A268-2D45D2BA4E80.jpeg

SPR

Most of the equipment has arrived today other than a couple of items which will be sent next week

Here’s a few pictures including what ‘was’ our dining room!

The Ecotech equipment is beautifully packaged and I’ll start having a ‘peak’ at some of it over the next few days and have a play around with the pipe fittings.

IMG_0648.JPGIMG_0649.JPGIMG_0651.JPGIMG_0652.JPGIMG_0653.JPGIMG_0654.JPGIMG_0655.JPG

chickenjohn

Most of the equipment has arrived today other than a couple of items which will be sent next week

Here’s a few pictures including what ‘was’ our dining room!

The Ecotech equipment is beautifully packaged and I’ll start having a ‘peak’ at some of it over the next few days and have a play around with the pipe fittings.

View attachment 49616View attachment 49615View attachment 49614View attachment 49613View attachment 49612View attachment 49611View attachment 49610
It looks like you've opened a shop and are stocking it, not doing a tank build