Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Nobbygas

I'm quite happy with my new Vectra L2. It's quieter than the stock return, plus it has more uumpph, and I think I'm at around 8,000 lph with it. It is rated at a max of 11,000lph. I've recently added a 'Y' outlet connector to the return pump, just to split up the flow coming out of it. I think it only cost a fiver or something like that and it has helped reduce the sand being washed away in certain spots.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I'm quite happy with my new Vectra L2. It's quieter than the stock return, plus it has more uumpph, and I think I'm at around 8,000 lph with it. It is rated at a max of 11,000lph. I've recently added a 'Y' outlet connector to the return pump, just to split up the flow coming out of it. I think it only cost a fiver or something like that and it has helped reduce the sand being washed away in certain spots.
You are clearly not accustomed to the phrase ‘size.........’ lol

SPR

I’ve just added another 7 Lyretail Anthias to the system, their a bit smaller than the ones already in so we will have to see what happens.

I decided to start using an acclimatisation box (fish trap) for any smaller additions as I think it’s a bit intimidating for them and many hide in the rocks for days.

They were in the box for about 5 hours, and were swimming around in it happily after an hour or so and non of the other fish were bothering them, so i opened the trap door and they slowly left.

There’s now 14 Lyretail Anthias in the system including 2 males

A46D9DB9-A5EC-4E00-A653-FFED7F33E4BA.jpeg

Nobbygas

I think I will go with Masterfisch again. I did try a different one last time with the two Wrasse and the Trigger, but that didn't end well. I did get my Lyretail Anthias from Masterfisch about 2.5 years ago, and they are all still alive.

SPR

I think I will go with Masterfisch again. I did try a different one last time with the two Wrasse and the Trigger, but that didn't end well. I did get my Lyretail Anthias from Masterfisch about 2.5 years ago, and they are all still alive.
I can’t fault them to be honest, and Laurent is a lovely French chap who calls me with any pre delivery issues etc.

Their corals are far superior to anything I can get around here from any LFS and with the weekly discounts........

SPR

The X Filter 1.7 works like a dream in the big tank, it really does, and I changed the filter roll yesterday. For the first time in 3 months!

I used the 25 micron paper and it lasted exactly 3 days under 3 months, but there must have been another weeks worth left on it. It’s just easier to change if you don’t let it run out because you just staple the new roll on and feed it though, and it takes just a few minutes.

I’m running it with the vortexes completely closed so it’s taking the full water flow through the paper so the performance is very impressive. I’ve put 32 micron paper in it this time, just to use it up, so I’ll see how long that lasts.
6729F6FB-68FA-4712-B995-5F9C4BB0D43C.jpeg

SPR

This is a Sacrophyton Glaucum coral (I checked the order!! Lol) I added to the tank around 4 weeks ago.

Ive seen a few in reefs and love the splendour of them and just ’needed to have one’ and it’s now at the left hand side of the tank, were it can be left to grow out.

I just today ordered another green version which is stunning and will be located on the right hand side of the tank.

This picture is just after is was added, and it’s grown at an incredible rate so far and looks absolutely stunning.

B3D60AFF-B2A9-4D94-9A07-E9D0F68EDC08.jpeg

Last edited:

Nobbygas

No in a word

I’m going to add all new fish into the acclimatisation box from now on, to hopefully prevent further issues like this.
I did that with the last two Wrasse. They were in the box for about six hours. When I thought they were looking relaxed, I let them out. They swam around for about an hour before going into the sand. I even saw them them swimming around the very next day, before they went into the sand never to be seen again. I've no idea as to why it happens.

Nobbygas

This is a Sacrophyton Glaucum coral (I checked the order!! Lol) I added to the tank around 4 weeks ago.

Ive seen a few in reefs and love the splendour of them and just ’needed to have one’ and it’s now at the left hand side of the tank, were it can be left to grow out.

I just today ordered another green version which is stunning and will be located on the right hand side of the tank.

This picture is just after is was added, and it’s grown at an incredible rate so far and looks absolutely stunning.

View attachment 50532
Do you have GSP in the beast tank? If you are having trouble growing GSP, then you will probably find that the Leathers also struggle. Don't ask me why!