Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Here’s a picture of a ‘greenish‘ coral, its grown substantially since being added to the tank

14A28855-24E6-4751-B3E5-F5F1BCCBF360.jpeg

SPR

Today I did a bit of maintenance on both tanks, well actually all I did was change the activated carbon and rowaphos in them both.

Oh and I cleaned the NYOS 160 skimmer cup in the S650 as well. I tend to only clean them every 4 weeks or so because to be honest I haven’t noticed any difference in performance. I’m sure there must be, but I can’t tell the difference from the amount of skim produced so I can’t see the point in cleaning it every week or whatever

I’ve changed from Red Sea carbon which I’ve used for years to the Rowa carbon. It comes in 5kg buckets and it just seems better value with the amount I use. I put 250g in the S650 in a Red Sea media bag, and 2 250g bags of it in the ‘big’ tank. These get changed every 4 weeks,

I keep phosphate locked down very low, basically if the Hanna says 0 I’m delighted as phosphate it the ‘devil’ of reef tanks and for anyone reading this comment, if you follow this advice you will avoid many of the issues we read about constantly. For those paying attention, you may remember, I didn’t have an ‘ugly stage’, we purposely skipped that and went straight for the ‘prize’.

In the S650 I use around 300g of rowaphos and change it every 3 weeks or so. I use less simply because of the way it’s fed as it can clog if left to long. In the ‘big boy’ I use around 900g which is quiet a lot, but the last time I changed it was 2 months ago and phosphate was still showing 0. This has a better feed method and bigger reactor so doesn’t clog up. To be honest I only changed it today because it must be getting ready and I was in a ‘maintenance mood’

The X filter 1.7 is doing very well. It’s got 25 micron paper in at the moment and it’s lasted about 10 weeks so far and I think there’s still about a week left. I do try to eek every last day out of it and have caught it just in time so far. So far!

Anyway, that a bit of an update and if you want to know anything else just ask.

Nobbygas

Today I did a bit of maintenance on both tanks, well actually all I did was change the activated carbon and rowaphos in them both.

Oh and I cleaned the NYOS 160 skimmer cup in the S650 as well. I tend to only clean them every 4 weeks or so because to be honest I haven’t noticed any difference in performance. I’m sure there must be, but I can’t tell the difference from the amount of skim produced so I can’t see the point in cleaning it every week or whatever

I’ve changed from Red Sea carbon which I’ve used for years to the Rowa carbon. It comes in 5kg buckets and it just seems better value with the amount I use. I put 250g in the S650 in a Red Sea media bag, and 2 250g bags of it in the ‘big’ tank. These get changed every 4 weeks,

I keep phosphate locked down very low, basically if the Hanna says 0 I’m delighted as phosphate it the ‘devil’ of reef tanks and for anyone reading this comment, if you follow this advice you will avoid many of the issues we read about constantly. For those paying attention, you may remember, I didn’t have an ‘ugly stage’, we purposely skipped that and went straight for the ‘prize’.

In the S650 I use around 300g of rowaphos and change it every 3 weeks or so. I use less simply because of the way it’s fed as it can clog if left to long. In the ‘big boy’ I use around 900g which is quiet a lot, but the last time I changed it was 2 months ago and phosphate was still showing 0. This has a better feed method and bigger reactor so doesn’t clog up. To be honest I only changed it today because it must be getting ready and I was in a ‘maintenance mood’

The X filter 1.7 is doing very well. It’s got 25 micron paper in at the moment and it’s lasted about 10 weeks so far and I think there’s still about a week left. I do try to eek every last day out of it and have caught it just in time so far. So far!

Anyway, that a bit of an update and if you want to know anything else just ask.
"and if you want to know anything else just ask." - Why do they call Orange Jam, Marmalade?
My Phos is creeping up at the moment. Don't know why. I think I will increase the amount of Rowaphos in there.

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

The pictures of the corals are great, but we need something next to them we can see how large the coral is. A cigarette packet would be no good. You could dangle a Lego character on a piece of string.

SPR

Have the new Wrasse surfaced yet?
No.

I’ve got 6 anthias coming tomorrow and some crabs/snails so think I’m going to start using the acclimatisation box with new fish especially tiny ones.

It’s a big tank and must be very daunting for them

Oh and 1 of the yellow tangs is ‘missing’ so down to 6 unless it’s hiding somewhere

Nobbygas

No.

I’ve got 6 anthias coming tomorrow and some crabs/snails so think I’m going to start using the acclimatisation box with new fish especially tiny ones.

It’s a big tank and must be very daunting for them

Oh and 1 of the yellow tangs is ‘missing’ so down to 6 unless it’s hiding somewhere
It must be getting near squeaky bum time with the Wrasse. Sometimes this hobby can be so bloody annoying. I did the acclimatisation box with my last two Leopard Wrasse. They appeared fine. I even saw them swimming around the day AFTER I added them, but that was the last I saw of either of them.
Have you noticed how the prices for fish has shot up? My original two Blue Throated Triggers cost me 100 euro. For a pair I'm now being quoted 225 euro. Yellow Tangs used to be around 50 euro. Now, they're around the 120 euro mark.
What type of Anthias have you got coming?

SPR

It must be getting near squeaky bum time with the Wrasse. Sometimes this hobby can be so bloody annoying. I did the acclimatisation box with my last two Leopard Wrasse. They appeared fine. I even saw them swimming around the day AFTER I added them, but that was the last I saw of either of them.
Have you noticed how the prices for fish has shot up? My original two Blue Throated Triggers cost me 100 euro. For a pair I'm now being quoted 225 euro. Yellow Tangs used to be around 50 euro. Now, they're around the 120 euro mark.
What type of Anthias have you got coming?
The LFS’s have said the prices have been going up and for example a yellow tang is around £75 on offer or thereabouts.

The new fish are an additional 6 lyretail anthias same as I have now but from Masterfisch. They had 25% off so I ordered them along with 20 hermits 10 snails and some bumble bee snails. They called today to say the bumble bees weren’t ready to ship so gave me some fancy hermits with jazzy legs or something for the same price. All the stuff was 25% off so a good deal.

As far as adding them yes it’s annoying but I guess it’s part of the hobby. I haven’t added anything to the S650 for a while. The last was a orange spotted goby and he disappeared as did the previous 2 chalk gobies. I guess the fish in that system don’t like new intruders, so that might be what your experiencing as well as their both very established tanks.

Nobbygas

The LFS’s have said the prices have been going up and for example a yellow tang is around £75 on offer or thereabouts.

The new fish are an additional 6 lyretail anthias same as I have now but from Masterfisch. They had 25% off so I ordered them along with 20 hermits 10 snails and some bumble bee snails. They called today to say the bumble bees weren’t ready to ship so gave me some fancy hermits with jazzy legs or something for the same price. All the stuff was 25% off so a good deal.

As far as adding them yes it’s annoying but I guess it’s part of the hobby. I haven’t added anything to the S650 for a while. The last was a orange spotted goby and he disappeared as did the previous 2 chalk gobies. I guess the fish in that system don’t like new intruders, so that might be what your experiencing as well as their both very established tanks.
I think you are right about the tank being established. When all the fish are pretty young I think they are more tolerant, but when they get older they don't like change. A bit like us I suppose :)

SPR

I think you are right about the tank being established. When all the fish are pretty young I think they are more tolerant, but when they get older they don't like change. A bit like us I suppose :)
I think your spot on there.

Im sat with the tanks, and the chiller on the big one has just turned off and that tank is pretty much silent. All I can here is the S650’s slightly humming away. I think it’s actually the UVC pump

The Abyzz pumps are absolutely silent, and I mean silent as in you can’t hear anything at all, not a sound type silent. If ever I need to buy a new one for the S650 it will be an Abyzz no hesitation