Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Very good. What sort of timeframe? And are you going to attempt the impossible and grow some GSP?
17th January 2020 to 31st July 2020 is the period, and for your information ‘sonny’ I have a fine piece of GSP growing ‘very well’

It just prefers not to be very ‘grass like’! Lol

SPR

Are you cleaning the rear wall on the Beastie? It must be a much bigger job than on the S-650.
Yes, it is a bigger job but to be honest it only takes a bit longer nothing major, a bit like cleaning the glass

I did think it might be a pain, but not really. It’s so big it’s easier to cover larger areas

SPR

I’ve been asked a question about which tank is easier to maintain the Red Sea S650 ‘biggish tank’ or the very big one, and I thought this might help others considering an upgrade or new tank.

The very big tank is easier to maintain by far because everything is designed far better, simple as that, oh and bigger.

My maintenance on the big tank:

Change rowaphos every 6-8 weeks. I use around 1kg to keep phosphate locked down and this amount doesn’t need changing as often. The reactor size and water feed system is much better.

I change the roll In the X Filter 1.7 (roller mat) every 6-8 weeks

I refill the 425 litre saltwater tank around once a month, so just turn a tap, fill it back up and then add some salt. Oh the effort!

I test alkalinity once every week, and at the moment nitrate as it’s locked at around 8 so I’m just monitoring it, and the other parameters randomly because the calcium reactor and rowaphos keeps everything under control and in line.

So as you can see, I don’t have much to do, although I do monitor things daily and clean the glass every 2 days.

The S650 is mature, and doesn’t need much maintenance other than rowaphos changes every 2 weeks (because the reactor and method of water feed is different and clogs up quicker)

I have to change filter socks every 3-4 days so this is a standard biggish tank, that many on here will be aware of the sort of maintenance involved. I do more water tests with weekly alkalinity and usually calcium and magnesium because these are dosed with liquids and need monitoring

Because it’s mature, the biological filtration system is very robust. I tested nitrate for the first time a few days ago, in probably over a year because it was always around 20. And it was still 20.... For those paying attention, I dose Nopox on the S650 at around 20 ml a day. Over the last few weeks I’m reducing the dose by 1ml/day ever week/other week, so slowly. Because I don’t think it’s needed anymore. It’s currently at 16ml per day without any I’ll effect

Im actually considering a new sump in it so I can have an X Filter roller mat and then I won’t have the filter socks to change. Infact if it was an easy task I would swap the whole tank for a smaller version of the big one, and this may be on the cards at some point In the future.

To anyone reading this, and thinking about a big tank, planning every single system is the absolute key, it really is. Something as simple as automated water changes is a game changer for the hobby. I can do any type of change small or large, immediately at the simple press of a button on Apex DOS. Both systems are currently on around 5% per week in small daily amounts over a few hours.

Nobbygas

I’ve been asked a question about which tank is easier to maintain the Red Sea S650 ‘biggish tank’ or the very big one, and I thought this might help others considering an upgrade or new tank.

The very big tank is easier to maintain by far because everything is designed far better, simple as that, oh and bigger.

My maintenance on the big tank:

Change rowaphos every 6-8 weeks. I use around 1kg to keep phosphate locked down and this amount doesn’t need changing as often. The reactor size and water feed system is much better.

I change the roll In the X Filter 1.7 (roller mat) every 6-8 weeks

I refill the 425 litre saltwater tank around once a month, so just turn a tap, fill it back up and then add some salt. Oh the effort!

I test alkalinity once every week, and at the moment nitrate as it’s locked at around 8 so I’m just monitoring it, and the other parameters randomly because the calcium reactor and rowaphos keeps everything under control and in line.

So as you can see, I don’t have much to do, although I do monitor things daily and clean the glass every 2 days.

The S650 is mature, and doesn’t need much maintenance other than rowaphos changes every 2 weeks (because the reactor and method of water feed is different and clogs up quicker)

I have to change filter socks every 3-4 days so this is a standard biggish tank, that many on here will be aware of the sort of maintenance involved. I do more water tests with weekly alkalinity and usually calcium and magnesium because these are dosed with liquids and need monitoring

Because it’s mature, the biological filtration system is very robust. I tested nitrate for the first time a few days ago, in probably over a year because it was always around 20. And it was still 20.... For those paying attention, I dose Nopox on the S650 at around 20 ml a day. Over the last few weeks I’m reducing the dose by 1ml/day ever week/other week, so slowly. Because I don’t think it’s needed anymore. It’s currently at 16ml per day without any I’ll effect

Im actually considering a new sump in it so I can have an X Filter roller mat and then I won’t have the filter socks to change. Infact if it was an easy task I would swap the whole tank for a smaller version of the big one, and this may be on the cards at some point In the future.

To anyone reading this, and thinking about a big tank, planning every single system is the absolute key, it really is. Something as simple as automated water changes is a game changer for the hobby. I can do any type of change small or large, immediately at the simple press of a button on Apex DOS. Both systems are currently on around 5% per week in small daily amounts over a few hours.
You still use the socks on the S-650? I swapped mine out for the Media Cups, and that is so much easier.

SPR

You still use the socks on the S-650? I swapped mine out for the Media Cups, and that is so much easier.
I tried them if you remember, infact there in the garage In a bucket.

When I discovered the washing machine to clean the socks out worked very well, I went back to socks.

I didn’t think the filter floss worked as well to be honest and seem to remember got clogged sooner?

Nobbygas

I tried them if you remember, infact there in the garage In a bucket.

When I discovered the washing machine to clean the socks out worked very well, I went back to socks.

I didn’t think the filter floss worked as well to be honest and seem to remember got clogged sooner?
But the socks are so 1990's.

Nobbygas

Ah, the Orange Tipped Wrasse is also known as the Melanurus Wrasse. They're beautiful. The Golden Wrasse also looks fantastic! These fish have so many bloody names! The Golden Wrasse looks just like my Banana Wrasse, or what I think is a Banana Wrasse !

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Ah, the Orange Tipped Wrasse is also known as the Melanurus Wrasse. They're beautiful. The Golden Wrasse also looks fantastic! These fish have so many bloody names! The Golden Wrasse looks just like my Banana Wrasse, or what I think is a Banana Wrasse !
I know and I can’t remember any apart from ‘tang’ and that’s why I have no chance with coral names! Lol

SPR

Oh and by the way, they haven’t been seen since I added them, but the tanks so big with all the rock work they can easily disappear for a while.

I suppose it’s quiet intimidating for them going into a large reef environment like that.

SPR

This is one of the new SPS corals, it’s right at the back of the tank so might not be as clear as some of the other shots (because it’s very wide! Lol), but you get the idea

99D4E447-E23B-46E7-AF1D-468396EB0B8B.jpeg

Nobbygas

Oh and by the way, they haven’t been seen since I added them, but the tanks so big with all the rock work they can easily disappear for a while.

I suppose it’s quiet intimidating for them going into a large reef environment like that.
They are Wrasse. This is what they do. I wouldn't be too alarmed at the moment. They are in the sand somewhere.

Reactions: SPR