Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Now how many times have I said, I’m not buying any more established coral colonies because they just do not survive long term. On average 2-3 months if your lucky

Im adamant they come from someone’s tank into the LFS, the water is changed and then they slowly die off. I have absolutely no problem keeping SPS or anything else in my new tank from Frags.

So here’s a picture of the brain coral that was added around 9th February 2020 and you can see what’s happening to it today 20th April and this was £120 worth.

Ive moved it a few times to alter flow, but to no avail and all water parameters are spot on so.....

Shaun, DO NOT EVER BUY ESTABLISHED COLONIES AGAIN!!

3B9E21EC-224D-4129-9C18-D6F031494BC8.jpeg 52F71815-99D1-4879-971C-5A0C225F24A3.jpeg 0BA79051-B20D-40CF-898D-91BDE7B0D9D3.jpeg

Nobbygas

Now how many times have I said, I’m not buying any more established coral colonies because they just do not survive long term. On average 2-3 months if your lucky

Im adamant they come from someone’s tank into the LFS, the water is changed and then they slowly die off. I have absolutely no problem keeping SPS or anything else in my new tank from Frags.

So here’s a picture of the brain coral that was added around 9th February 2020 and you can see what’s happening to it today 20th April and this was £120 worth.

Ive moved it a few times to alter flow, but to no avail and all water parameters are spot on so.....

Shaun, DO NOT EVER BUY ESTABLISHED COLONIES AGAIN!!

View attachment 50269 View attachment 50270 View attachment 50271
I can't give that a like. I think you are right and that once mature (colony) the corals do not like change (a bit like us eh!). When they are frags they seem more resilient. Really sorry to hear about the Brain Coral though.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I can't give that a like. I think you are right and that once mature (colony) the corals do not like change (a bit like us eh!). When they are frags they seem more resilient. Really sorry to hear about the Brain Coral though.
I know that’s been my theory for a while now.

All of the large colonies, certainly in my LFS’s have been grown on another persons tank, then given to the LFS and then sold on.

I’ve not had a single one survive more than say 3 months ish and I realised a few years ago

I only purchased the Brain because it looked nice and the tank was empty so... lesson learned, again!

Nobbygas

I know that’s been my theory for a while now.

All of the large colonies, certainly in my LFS’s have been grown on another persons tank, then given to the LFS and then sold on.

I’ve not had a single one survive more than say 3 months ish and I realised a few years ago

I only purchased the Brain because it looked nice and the tank was empty so... lesson learned, again!
Next you will be telling us you've bought some Miracle Mud.......again!

SPR

Ah the ’Black Gold’, I made this in a plastic bucket you know, and it’s delightful darlings delightful!! Lol

CA85611A-A15A-4BED-9A7F-0A119B78F853.jpeg

Nobbygas

Question for you Shaun. We both know that on the S-650 you cannot feed a chiller from the manifold, but do you know why not? Is it because the stock return pump wouldn't be able to handle it and would the Vectra L2 be man enough?

SPR

Question for you Shaun. We both know that on the S-650 you cannot feed a chiller from the manifold, but do you know why not? Is it because the stock return pump wouldn't be able to handle it and would the Vectra L2 be man enough?
Basically yes, the S500 can use it with the standard pump but they say the S650 can’t because of a drop in flow, it’s to much.

I seem to remember a flow figure of 7000lph for the standard pump so on the basis the L2 is 11500 I would go for it and then you loose a pump to clean on your chiller.

Remember the figures quotes are maximum and you don’t get anywhere near those flow rates by the time it comes out of the nozzle so I would just measure the chiller flow rate so that’s about right and then see how you go, but it’s looks like it would be ok.

Nobbygas

Basically yes, the S500 can use it with the standard pump but they say the S650 can’t because of a drop in flow, it’s to much.

I seem to remember a flow figure of 7000lph for the standard pump so on the basis the L2 is 11500 I would go for it and then you loose a pump to clean on your chiller.

Remember the figures quotes are maximum and you don’t get anywhere near those flow rates by the time it comes out of the nozzle so I would just measure the chiller flow rate so that’s about right and then see how you go, but it’s looks like it would be ok.
I think I will do a little test.

Nobbygas

Make sure you have the mop at hand! Lol
It'll be an easy test. I currently have a pipe from the manifold that feeds the Rowaphos Reacter. I just have to use a connector to join that pipe to the pipe that feeds the chiller (currently using an Eheim 2000 to do that job) open up the manifold thingy (it's the old connection to the C-Skim) and the job's a good 'un. Obviously at some point the water levels will fluctuate and I expect to get that gargling sound, but that's no problem. I just need to use my trusted flow rate measurement tool....a one liter plastic jug, where I count until it's full. If it fills in five seconds or less then I've got the required flow rate :)

Nobbygas

I’ve tried to capture sunrise in the new system as best I can so here’s a short video. The tank is just over 4 months old

I hope you enjoy it anyway......

Beautiful. If I may I'd like to recommend a Scopas Tang. They are pretty cheap, well, far cheaper than a Yellow Tang, and mine is a model fish. He doesn't bother anyone. In fact he tends to hang out with the Yellow Tangs as they are pretty much the same shape. My other recommendations would be 2 x female Leopard Wrasse (or one male and one female if you can find a pair) and some Royal Grammas.

SPR

Beautiful. If I may I'd like to recommend a Scopas Tang. They are pretty cheap, well, far cheaper than a Yellow Tang, and mine is a model fish. He doesn't bother anyone. In fact he tends to hang out with the Yellow Tangs as they are pretty much the same shape. My other recommendations would be 2 x female Leopard Wrasse (or one male and one female if you can find a pair) and some Royal Grammas.
I’ll have a look through those, but the main LFS were I get fish from is closed for livestock at the moment due to some ‘bug’ or something.....

I do like leopard wrasses though and maybe a few grammas