Setting up the 75 Gal tank

Stephane Cote

Hey guys,

i got my local mom and pops shop looking for the sand i questioned earlier last week. (im stil traveling for work so im not home during the week).

My question now turns to protein skimmers. i know i need to help the tank out bait with one. I dont want a sump for the moment (apparently not a good idea for starters to get. but i may go for one in a few years. So i was left with limited 'hook on' choices. i found this one AquaMaxx HOB-1 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer (http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...ein_Skimmers-AquaMaxx-UJ1151-FIPSHONW-vi.html). Everywhere i read it has good reviews, it's rated for a 75 gal. it looks nice, tidy and clean. I've seen others and tubing and returns are... weird/ugly/oddly placed.

what do you guys think? even with my research online, am i missing the point? or am i dead on?

Thanks again!

soon live rock questions :p

Steph

Tjr1992

And since you're going to be asking about live rock later, I suggest you check out bulk reef supplies stock of dry rock. Pretty cheap and easy to work with.

Stephane Cote

humm i would but no shipping to canada :( darn.. i needed to change my RO filters form there too .. thought i could do 2 orders for 1 :(

Stephane Cote

So instead of me creating many threads ill just use this one for my progress

here is a pic of my tank that i will be using.. it's next to my 30 gal. ill move the 30 gal form there and put the 75 instead.

1463070_10153481934465273_1633719867_n_zps3c0ccd9c.jpg

Tjr1992

I'm not sure how shipping between US/Canada works, but do you know anyone in the states that you could ship it to, then they ship it to you?

Stephane Cote

I'm not sure how shipping between US/Canada works, but do you know anyone in the states that you could ship it to, then they ship it to you?

well i'd end up paying 2 shipping. i think i found a local shop that sells dry rock. since ill migrate some of my living over, i figured that would seed the new sand/rock.

BTW my 32 is finally settling in a bit.. it started to clear up. just my corels on the top left are still closed but the fish and other livestock are getting active again...

unnamed_zps895b0bdb.jpg

can't wait to transfer that over to my 75!

Stephane Cote

Well i have my 75 going... I have the live rock and sand put in.. but it's cloudy and i can't see where/how i place my rock, so ill have to wait until it clears. i have a filter and a HOB skimmer going and hopefully that will help it clear up enough that i can place my rock

if all goes well, tomorrow/tuesday ill move the stuff from the 32.

unnamed_zps35c01c26.jpg

Stephane Cote

Soooo my tank with live rock has been cycling with the filter and the protein skimmer for the past 2 weeks.. would it be safe for me to do the transfer this weekend? or maybe the next weekend? or should i wait? im just wondering because if i transfer all the stuff over, i hear ppl going crazy because newbies added fish within a few weeks, and apparently thats not good.

i want to take some live rock (the ones with the coral) and transfer those. Along with My crabs (that just sounds bad), my shrimps, fish and anemones (i think 1 split so i think i have 4 now)

would that be safe? should i do something different? put in live sand? (i didn't put live sand in)

Thanks for the help!

steph

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It really depends on your water parameters. Do you have test kits do you can post levels for Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites?

Stephane Cote

I certainly do. i got them last week, they are not by any means the best kits but they seem to do a decent job. ill let it cycle to the weekend and retest. i did test sunday if i remember correctly and im not sure if it was the nitrates or nitrites that was a bit high. I did put a few crabs in there at the beginning of the week, but they just clumped up together and didn't move... so i transferred them back to the 30gal.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Ok don't move anything until you test and post your parameters and let some of the experts review them.

Stephane Cote

i want to transfer safely and not rush kill what i have. although im a bit scared because i have some aiptasia in my current live rock and i dont want to infect the new tank. i got peppermint shrimps and im using the stuff as i see them but i dont want to bring over the water and the rock thats to infested. i have 2 small rocks in a bucket in the basement with reg water and a bit of vinegar to kill everything thats in/on those rocks. eventually ill rince the rocks and pop them in the 75 gal and let the other rocks seed them back. (good plan?)

Stephane Cote

I think she cycled!

Ammonia is at 0 ppm and my Nitrate is at 30ppm

i think i need to do a 30% water change and i should be ready to move things over... am i mistaken?

IMG_1147_zps2a9d2e93.jpg

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sounds about right. Do a big water change to knock the Nitrates firm and then you can add a CUC.

Stephane Cote

Sounds about right. Do a big water change to knock the Nitrates firm and then you can add a CUC.

so about 50% and transfer some of my crabs over? i have 1 shrimp left and 0 snails in my 30 gal. i guess i can pick up some snails later for the new tank

ill start with the water change.. thanks :D