Seeking Cycle guidance

Layton128k

Hello! I've recently started a RSM 130C and began my cycle about 10 days ago. Im using 20 lbs base pumani rock, 6 lbs live rock and 35 lbs live sand. Additionally I bought a container of already seeded Seachem Matrix from my LFS to help get things going. Additionally for 7 days I used Seachem Stability.

I initially saw a steady 1.2 Ammonia and after a couple days about .3-.4 Nitrite. I understand the basics of the cycle however 2 days ago, both Ammonia and Nitrites completely went away. I have seen very small signs of algae growth and no "blooms" like I've seen others describe. My Nitrates are off the chart and I understand that means I should water change. Would it be wise to not change water and continue to test for another week or do you all think its ok to water change and start some CUC?

Thanks for any guidance here.

-Jay

bigtankreefer

sounds like youre good. the blooms will probably soon follow. you could always add some food to the tank and watch the ammonia for the next couple days and if its doesnt jump youre good to go.

sirrealism

If you have N03 then there is no reason to add any food. You can do a water change but its also not needed though it might help in keeping the algae bloom to a min. It sounds like your cycle is not going to be very bad. I would credit that to the fact that you used the seeded seachem and the 6 pounds of live rock. The more live bacteria you start with the smaller the cycle will be. When you say your N03 off the charts what is the number. If it is under 50 your doing great. I have used a product called turbo start and had almost no cycle. Not saying its the best way to do it because natural cycle is better but it sounds like your doing very good.