Sebae Anemone Successful keeping

Have you successfully kept a Sebae anemone?

• Yes, with over 400 watt metal halide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

plecosword

I understand Magnificent or Ritteri anemones are very difficult mainly because of their intense lighting requirement but as for Sebae anemone, I having a difficult time finding what is the least amount of light they will thrive on, so I'm making this poll to find out :updown:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What are the dimensions of the tank ? Although lighting is very important it's not the only thing that should be considered. I bought a bleached Sebae when I first got into the hobby and helped it to recover under power compacts, although long term it wouldn't have survived lighting and excellent water quality go hand to hand in keeping these Anemones long term. If you go with intense lighting will you be using a chiller ?

KARussell88

Yeah your not giving enough info on what your tank is, a 400 watt metal halide is a lot different over a 20 gallon than a 120 gallon. We need to know more before we can vote.

I've also kept them under PC lighting (about 500 total watts on a 75) but do not advise doing so. Sebae are very touchy where the initial acclimation and the weeks following are concerned. I do 6 hr acclimation on any nems except BTAs. Personally, I feel exceptional water quality is key to a successful acclimation, lighting is essential for long term success. Once established, they are quite hardy, its just hard getting to that point....notice the arrive alive guarantee, for many vendors, excludes Sebae.

ive had my sebae for about 2 months seems perfect even opens big what color are they supposed to be?

check out my videos @ youtube, in search bar type cubansnoopy and plz tell me what u think i will be updateing my videos today just did water change ty

phosphate= 0

cal=500

ph 8.4

nitrate= 0

nitrite= 0

alk=.025

ammonia= 0

so good?

plecosword

well i didn't think tank dimensions made a big difference, but my tank is a 120 gallon; 24 x 24 x 12 and i have 2x 250 watt halides at 12k, and I'm beginning to think its not enough.

plecosword

ive had my sebae for about 2 months seems perfect even opens big what color are they supposed to be?

check out my videos @ youtube, in search bar type cubansnoopy and plz tell me what u think i will be updateing my videos today just did water change ty

phosphate= 0

cal=500

ph 8.4

nitrate= 0

nitrite= 0

alk=.025

ammonia= 0

so good?

Your anemone looks ok, they are suppose to have a brown/tan color.
Ahh sorry I don't know what I'm doing.

KARussell88

well i didn't think tank dimensions made a big difference, but my tank is a 120 gallon; 24 x 24 x 12 and i have 2x 250 watt halides at 12k, and I'm beginning to think its not enough.

Yes tank dimensions make a difference. 400 watts on a 20 gallon is 20 watts per gallon lol, enough to cook corals whereas 400 watts on a 120 gallon is 3.33 watts per gallon, enough to keep mid level corals. you want to shoot for around 5 watts to keep most of they high end nems and corals.

Also, light only can penetrate so much water before losing power, the higher the tank, the less easily your lights can penetrate to its bottom, your tank is normal though so no problems

plecosword

Yes tank dimensions make a difference. 400 watts on a 20 gallon is 20 watts per gallon lol, enough to cook corals whereas 400 watts on a 120 gallon is 3.33 watts per gallon, enough to keep mid level corals. you want to shoot for around 5 watts to keep most of they high end nems and corals.

Also, light only can penetrate so much water before losing power, the higher the tank, the less easily your lights can penetrate to its bottom, your tank is normal though so no problems
I agree with your second point, but as for tank dimensions and the watt per gallon rules, I find them inaccurate, here is why; you can have a 400 watt halide over a 20 gallon, which would have the same intensity on a 300 gallon tank with the receiving anemone located at the same height from the lamp with the same height of water in between. This makes tank dimensions and watt per gallon rule useless. :yup:
So just start voting already!

Smokey301

I've had mine for 2.5 years and still going strong (even after a run-in with my powerhead 2 months ago) Originally under 72w of lighting on a 30 tall with every other day feedings for a year to the current 150w MH and the clowns give it some mysis

plecosword

I've had mine for 2.5 years and still going strong (even after a run-in with my powerhead 2 months ago) Originally under 72w of lighting on a 30 tall with every other day feedings for a year to the current 150w MH and the clowns give it some mysis
THis makes me feel better about mine, even though he is no accepting food yet. His tips are beginning to color up blue a little. :fingers:

Someone advised me to feed healthy anemones every month and those that are hosted by clown even less. but i have no idea

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
mine is at least 6 or 7 yrs, moved to and from several tanks, it hosts my perc's and they lay eggs under, around anywhere it is, they will only come out for food, this thing about clowns feeding an anem is something I find very hard to believe, if anything the only reason the nem gets any food is because clowns are clumsy lol. Lighting has be mh,vho and t5ho, does not seem to care:D

This is a video of them gittin jiggy haha

KARussell88

I agree with your second point, but as for tank dimensions and the watt per gallon rules, I find them inaccurate, here is why; you can have a 400 watt halide over a 20 gallon, which would have the same intensity on a 300 gallon tank with the receiving anemone located at the same height from the lamp with the same height of water in between. This makes tank dimensions and watt per gallon rule useless. :yup:
So just start voting already!

Your sort of right about that. But..

Anemones can move, so it doesnt matter where you put them, so you better have the right wattage everywhere in your tank they decide to go. Because they will ultimately decide where they want to be in your tank

And whats the point of having only enough wattage to keep corals on the very top of your tank? may as well not even have the rest of your tank if your only using 20 gallons of a 300 gallon tank, you see what I mean?

But in reality
As long as you have enough wattage in your tank and your water levels are stable and where they should be, most any nem should be very hardy.

This is a fun convo but I think your twisting the rules a bit lol your rebuttal?

plecosword

Your sort of right about that. But..

Anemones can move, so it doesnt matter where you put them, so you better have the right wattage everywhere in your tank they decide to go. Because they will ultimately decide where they want to be in your tank

And whats the point of having only enough wattage to keep corals on the very top of your tank? may as well not even have the rest of your tank if your only using 20 gallons of a 300 gallon tank, you see what I mean?

But in reality
As long as you have enough wattage in your tank and your water levels are stable and where they should be, most any nem should be very hardy.

This is a fun convo but I think your twisting the rules a bit lol your rebuttal?
Good point but anemones ultimately choose their home based on lighting and flow conditions. you can just keep all the acropolis and other things that need lots of lights, and keep it dimmer at the bottom.
Talking about this, check this out, I've been really considering getting one of these in the future.
[video=youtube;lTGsM9pplUs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTGsM9pplUs[/video]
Plasma Grow Lighting
not bad in my opinion for a new technology at their efficiency compared to LED units a few years ago.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
you can have a 400 watt halide over a 20 gallon, which would have the same intensity on a 300 gallon tank with the receiving anemone located at the same height from the lamp with the same height of water in between. This makes tank dimensions and watt per gallon rule useless.

Tank dimensions and watts does matter not only because of initial light shock to the Anemone which would lead to bleaching but especially because of heat produced. A 400 watt bulb would cook a 20 gal unless your running a chiller even a 250 watt MH bulb would be an issue so that's something that must be considered IMHO and experience.