Sebae anemone question

Anihiel1

Just getting back into the hobby after some years. 55 gallon tank, a few months old, ph nitrite nitrate etc all levels good. Fluval led lights on a 24/7 cycle. Macro algae and live rock with about 3 inches substrate. Currently have 2 clownfish 2 cardinals 1 foxface 1 horseshoe crab. All doing very well.
My question is: I'm new to anemones. I've had a sebae for a few weeks. He's doing very well, made his home next to a rock & cave and is eating chopped krill & silversides voraciously. BUT. He has a powdery green coating all over his body and lower tentacles. It fluorescesces a bit under moon light. Is this normal? Is this a side effect of his resident zooxanthellae?
Pics attached, moon lighting / normal lightingCapture+_2019-08-12-23-34-13.png

DaveK

The green color is normal. You anemone is also brown, which usually means it's in good health. Go easy on feeding your anemone. Typically they only need feeding about once a week. Don't over do it.

Anihiel1

Thanks for the info! I've been worried that he might not be getting the proper nutrition as my clowns are babies & only interested in playing with their own reflections. i give him small bits when I see him open/waving/trying to catch food. He *seems* content enough, he keeps scooting down into the sand a tiny bit farther and has basically molded himself around the shape of the rock LOL. I'm considering purchasing another (older?) clown, one who is actively hosting, to encourage the babies to host..? What are your thoughts? The sebae is about 5 or 6 inches around fully inflated, the clowns are 1 inch at best.

Last edited:

DaveK

Clowns are kind of funny, you never know if they will host in an anemone or not. I'd leave things alone and not add another clown. Adding another clown is also an invitation for the larger one to beat up on them smaller ones.

Anihiel1

Sure! at work right now, I will try to post some pics later. Really doesn't look like much right now, but maybe in a few years. I'm not adding coral for a long while, need to do more research and get the system fully prepped. It will be a very slow project.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
a great read .... you will have success with level 1 & 2 corals
https://sites.google.com/a/asira.org/www2/caresheets

Sensitivity/Difficulty:
Level 1 - easy to care for, good corals for the novice aquarist
Level 2 - require slightly more attention than level 1 corals, but
still generally tolerant
Level 3 - require stable, established aquariums and care by an
experienced aquarist
Level 4 - should only be kept by the most experienced aquarists
Level 5 - not known to be able to survive in aquariums, even under the
care of the most experienced aquarists

Anihiel1

Thanks so much! I want to simulate as natural an environment as possible so definitely need to research every aspect. I have done a small planting of macro algae to see how that does. Thinking it can be an alternate food source they can graze on. Of course 'Samwise' my (obviously genius) foxface didn't quite get the "food" part of that equation and has instead chosen one to sleep on like a bed every night. Thought y'all would get a kick out of the pic 20190814_194107~2.jpg

Anihiel1

PSX_20190814_173410.jpg Not the best pic but here's the entire tank... Someday I hope this will be a magnificent reef!
Suggestions for improvement always welcome

Last edited: