Sebae Anemone help.

Shanspau

I have a 10 gallon aquarium (I know that's small) with 1 clown, 2 turbo snails, 6 hermit crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp, Torch, Frogspawn, Zoanthids corals and a Sebae. My Sebae has moved himself from a medium current, medium light area to a high current low light area.(In a small cave) I've had him now for 1 week and had the aquarium for 4 months with next to perfect water parameters and bi-weekly 2.5 gallon water changes.

Salinity=1.025-26
PH=8.5
Nitrates=0
Nitrites=less than 2.5
Ammonia=0 to 1ppm
With that being said, my problem is with the Sebae moving to a location near my Frogspawn. His closest tentacle is touching the skeleton of the Frogspawn base about 2 inches from the actual live portion of the coral. I'm wondering if the two will be okay there together or should I move the Frogspawn to another area? I'm afraid if I move him that the Sebae will pack his bags and move again and probably to an area close to my LPS

Is it common for the Sebae to move into a darkened location? I don't have particularly strong lighting, they are 50/50 compacts packing a whopping 3 watts per gallon so I'm on the lower end of the spectrum for lighting wattage per-gallon.

Another issue is the Clown has burrowed out a hole in the back corner of the aquarium near the inlet of the filter. After reading a few posts I see that he is doing this because he's (for lack of a better description) making his home. I'm not sure why he hasn't tried to pair up with the Sebae yet but I'll give him time. The cleaner shrimp has made a home very close to the Sebae for what I'm sure would be called a protection measure. When the Sebae moves, so does the cleaner. Will the clown eventually kick the cleaner out and make his home with the Sebae or will he find that to be too big a chore considering the current resident? When the cleaner was first introduced, the Clown took a couple nips at him but has backed off since. The antenna of the cleaner is almost always touching the Clown when in close proximity of each other. I would appreciate any and all advice on this subject. Thanks in advance.......

BigFish11

One thing that i have learned about nems, they are like women and cats. They wont do what you want, they will only do what they want. I had a great place in mind for my nem, but of course she didnt want to go there and she went under a rock. What i did realize though, is that she went under the rock in order to hide her base, she ended up growing and sticking out from under that rock and is doing well.

You might want to move your frogspawn, or there will being a stinging battle going on.

As far as the cleaner and the clown, the cleaner shrimp is fine, probably using the nem for protection, the clown, well some just dont take to nems. Try not to fuss with the tank for a little bit, let everything get comfortable and established and then see what happens. I did read a post on here where someone put a picture of a clown in an nem and taped it to the glass, the clown in their tank after a couple of days, moved into his new house. Just something to try. I hope that helped.

jcgardner

You need to get a bigger tank. No way can a 10g support a nem, it gets over 12"

I had a 45g tank that I wouldn't put one in and I'm hesitant to put one in my new 100g tank.

Last edited:

Shanspau

BigFish11, thank you for your post, I will try the picture you suggested, its a really interesting premise and a good experiment to boot.

Jcgardner, I know its small and it's a work in progress tank. I started with a 10 because it is supposed to be the hardest to care for. In my mind, if I can care for everyone in this aquarium then I can care for a larger one with ease. In about 2 months I plan to start up a new 250 and go from there.

jcgardner

Glad to hear you are getting a bigger tank. Just remember to go slowly and watch that nem for any signs that he is not doing well. If he expires in the tank it will take everything with it.

Shanspau

Grendelprime I have a I have a total of 30 watts of 50/50 coralife bulbs. That makes it 3 watts per gallon and on the lower end of the light needed. I had 2 20 watt bulbs for a total of 40 watts in a 10 gallon but, one of them busted and I'm waiting for the LFS to get more in.

Shanspau

I'll keep an eye on him and get him out if he starts to go, I really think he's quite happy and looks really good in there. Thank you for the advice.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Anemones need more like 6-8 watts per gallon if you ask me. Yours is not thriving, it is surviving.
I recommend upping the lights asap.
This rule falls for all clams, anemones and photosynthetic corals.
I don't care what size the tank is. I have seen some stuff crammed in very small tanks very successfully. It's all about water parameters and lighting. Corals and anemones will live together for the most part. SPS is different but your corals should be fine.
I am concerned about the ammonia spike. Are you sure this tank is cycled? How long has it been running?