Seahorses and a new tank? Do captive bred really eat frozen myisis?

Tessarose

Hi. Before I buy 2 captive bred seahorses, I would like to know if they really do eat frozen myisis shrimp. How hard are they to care for?

Thank you,
Patty

puffermike

I do this often in lots of Aquarium stores that house expensive fish. Get a store associate to drop some frozen mysis in the tank to see for yourself. Foolproof. I'm in the process of starting up a pipefish tank of my own and I'll be in the same boat as you soon.

axelsmischief

yes, they do eat frozen mysis and frozen brine. Be sure to see them eat before you bring them home. I've had mine since November 13, feed 2-3 times daily. I target feed with a turkey baster, and as soon as they see it, they start begging!

forestal

I would encourage a lot of reading up on keeping sea horses before buying them. They are tough to keep and require 2-3 x a day feeding to keep them from starving and good water conditions. You have to be careful what other animals/fish to put with them as they puls be picked on.
and to guarantee captive bred get them from a reliable source such as seahorse source.com he has been breeding them and knows a lot.
Sea horses have primitive guts so feeding has to be done carefully ideally with mysis that are gut filled with rots/ cyclops - pe mysis are great and soaking them in vitachem and cyclopeeze helps. Setting up a feeding station for them helps so you can observe how well they are feeding and siphon the uneaten.
If feeding plain brine (for bigger horses) they will eat their fill but not get enough nutritionand starve.