Seachem Reef Builder & Baking Soda

frisbee

I've been using the Seachem Reef Builder in my ATO reservoir for a LONG time without any problems, but all of a sudden I can't find this stuff locally anymore. I know I can get it online, but if I was to switch over to Baking Soda will I be sacrificing anything? I've been told that they're basically the same thing, but the Reef Builder did seem to have some other ingredients in it as well. Making a change like this is not something I really want to do, but I just wanted to see what others think before I do switch over. Thanks. :)

DaveK

The two products are similar. Products made specifically for reefs tend to add other things to balance the alkalinity. Depending upon your system you might be able to use baking soda. This is the sort of thing you can try and if things don't work out, you can easily switch back.

However, my question is, why are you adding Reef Builder or baking soda your ATO water? It's usually not needed unless you have a alkalinity issue.

pablomay28

I used to use Reef Builder also until I found out I could make my own Sodium Carbonate. I place 3 cups of baking soda in the oven at 300 for 1 hr then mix it in a 3 gallon container that I then use to pour 140 ml of that solution in my 5 gallon ATO reservoir. I use that in my 66 gallon RSM 250 and it last about a week and keeps my dKH at 9-10. I use reef crystals at 1.025 and use a Hanna checker to verify my numbers. The checker gives a ppm reading that I multiply by .056 to get the dKH. I know it is a lot of info but I don’t like it when people post vague messages. Let me know if I can be of further help. The recipe I use can be found on www.advancedaquarist.com and there are helpful videos on YouTube.

frisbee

However, my question is, why are you adding Reef Builder or baking soda your ATO water? It's usually not needed unless you have a alkalinity issue.

Well that's the thing, I've never really had any problems with alkalinity. I've never really been one to keep track of my calcium or magnesium either though. Things have always looked good, but regular water changes and a certain amount of the Reef Builder in my top off water has always kept it this way. (~ 8dKH)

I guess I could go without for a week or two and see what happens, but I'm just not a big fan of change, especially when something has been working so well for so long.

DaveK

Well that's the thing, I've never really had any problems with alkalinity. I've never really been one to keep track of my calcium or magnesium either though. Things have always looked good, but regular water changes and a certain amount of the Reef Builder in my top off water has always kept it this way. (~ 8dKH)

I guess I could go without for a week or two and see what happens, but I'm just not a big fan of change, especially when something has been working so well for so long.

I would say that if your not testing alkalinity, calcium and magnesium, it's not a good idea to be using additional additives. In your specific case, I don't think your hurting anything, but if you don't regularly test using additives can get the water way out of balance. Stick to water changes, and then consider additives if the water changes alone can't keep up.

DaveK

I used to use Reef Builder also until I found out I could make my own Sodium Carbonate. I place 3 cups of baking soda in the oven at 300 for 1 hr then mix it in a 3 gallon container that I then use to pour 140 ml of that solution in my 5 gallon ATO reservoir. I use that in my 66 gallon RSM 250 and it last about a week and keeps my dKH at 9-10. I use reef crystals at 1.025 and use a Hanna checker to verify my numbers. The checker gives a ppm reading that I multiply by .056 to get the dKH. I know it is a lot of info but I don’t like it when people post vague messages. Let me know if I can be of further help. The recipe I use can be found on www.advancedaquarist.com and there are helpful videos on YouTube.

The link posted was just to the main page of advanced aquarist. The link you want for the actual homemade additives is (offsite) - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/4/chemistry

This is a good way to go. If your going to do it, you usually need to make all 3 of the basic solutions. Mix and use them carefully. See this thread also (offsite) - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

A note on articles by Randy Holmes-Farley. He's one of the few people that really go into depth about the chemistry behind what is going on in a reef system. I got to give him a lot of credit for that. However, it your one of those people that have trouble remembering H2O is water (grin), you can skip the details and go right to the "this is what you do" part of the articles.

frisbee

Put it this way, if your Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity are all within limits, is it going to hurt the tank in any way or will I be sacrificing anything by switching from Seachem Reef Builder to Baking Soda to keep my Alkalinty stable?

I made a mistake earliar btw. I should have specified that I have always tested my Alkalinity, (hence ~ 8 dKH) just not the Calcium & Magnesium. Bad choice of words or lack there of I guess. Sorry about that..

Last edited:

DaveK

In your case, I don't think you caused a problem.

Keep in mind though that the calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity maintain a balance among themselves. Long term, if you alter one, you can effect the others. Also, if magnesium is low, maintaining this balance is very difficult.

Lastly, before you test for these, make sure your SG is correct. If that is off, it will skew the other tests.

Last edited: