Seachem Matrix | Marine Pure Balls vs Live Rock in Sump

potatocouch

(In the sump), what do you think of having Seachem Matrix or Marine Pure Balls compared to Live Rocks?

Are they better? If so, why are they better?

Choff

I use matrix as a supplement, but I run it in a reactor. I don't have worry about it collecting detritus and becoming a nitrate factory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sirrealism

Marine Pure do not turn into Nitrate factory ever. Marine pure is the same as rock just better because of so much more surface area. I have been at this a long time and there is not a better product on the market then marine pure. Let me give you an example I have a 40B with a 25g sump. 5-6 fish 2"-4" long. This tank is loaded with coral. I have no reactors on it and change 10% water every 10 or so days. Its SPS dominant. It is bare bottom and no rock. Just 1 marinepure 8"x4"x4" block in the sump and a good skimmer. Thats it. My last test was sat and it read Alk 7.8 "Little low but the sps just eat my alk" cal 410, N03 0.00 sailfert P04 0.01 I really need to find a way to dose P04 because I would like to get it up to at least 0.04. Anyway I feed my fish every day. Make my own Alk and cal. the tank is doing great with just the marinepure as a bio filter. I dont even change my sock but once a week when it gets close to overflowing just because I want some N03 in my system.
Sorry for the crappy phone pic but this will give you an idea of what I mean

Choff

Is your goal additional biological filtration of ammonia and nitrite or are you also looking for anaerobic bacteria growth for nitrate control?

Both options presented work very well for for ammonia and nitrite performance. For nitrate removal they each need to be used in specific ways.

I'm a fan of matrix, but spoke at length with the Cermedia folks at macna about their product. Their booth was right next to JJs and they are Buffalo based (where I grew up). The product looks very very good and glad to hear Sirreals testimony. I was close to buying a block at MACNA, but didn't really want to bring it gone on the airplane. I may pull the trigger and toss one into my sump.

Sirreal, do you have it sitting on the bottom of the sump or raised up? They said it needs to be in a real low flow area for nitrate removal. I don't get how it can't collect detritus. You don't blast it off occasionally or have detritus build up in front of it?

...stupid auto correct

reefle

this is so helpful for me haha.

how long until you guys see the anaerobic bacteria start populating the block and eating the No3?

Clint24

I'm with reefle!! I also will be tagging along on this one. I recently ordered an 8x8x4 murine pure block to put down in my sump below my socks just for additional support of my system. Any additional info from this thread will be very helpful!!! :)

CD

Choff

this is so helpful for me haha.

how long until you guys see the anaerobic bacteria start populating the block and eating the No3?
My eyes aren't that good. :)

It's really hard for me to say. My tank is lightly loaded and have never had a nitrate problem. Always read in the .5 to .75 range and my CUC easily manages my algae. I clean the front of my glass every 7 to 10 days.

I can't specifically tie it to the matrix, but considering I have ceramic rock that is relatively new and no live rock it's likely the matrix that is doing it. I do have a surf 2 algae scrubber that I pull a handful of algae out of every 10 days. Which is seriously undersized for my 310 gallons of water. I doubt that is the sole reason for my low nitrates. My issue is phosphates. Those can creep up on my me when I get a little carried away with feeding.

I should add I change 42 gallons of water a week which is 13.5%(technically a gallon every 4 hours via my reef Genesis). That is my main nutrient export.

...stupid auto correct