Seachem Matrix In Reef Tank?

ChitownRomeo

I have alot of real reef rock in my aquarium. After a while I noticed it doesnt really have alot of surface area for bacteria. Would it be ok to add some seachem matrix in the sump to help add some surface area for bacteria?

Danreef

I have alot of real reef rock in my aquarium. After a while I noticed it doesnt really have alot of surface area for bacteria. Would it be ok to add some seachem matrix in the sump to help add some surface area for bacteria?

I added a lot of Seachem matrix to my media rack (I gave a RSM250) and to a HOB refugium.

I added the S. Matrix in media bags. That will help to clean them every 6 months. Just pick up the bag, shake it in used marine water (after a WC) to remove debries without killing the bacteria.

I added all the SM at the same time I added a 20 G refugium to the tank. I am pretty sure it helped to my tank improvement by increasing the bacteria population.

Cheers
Daniel

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Matrix isn't about surface area, it's about the deep down anarobic ability of the stones. It will help with nitrates and I ran it on my tank and as Daniel says, only clean it twice a year.