Seachem Marine Buffer and cupramine

leebca

Short answer is, "No."

Buffer isn't used to control pH. pH in a marine aquarium is controlled by three ingredients: Alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium. The concept of 'buffering' is made by these three when they are in balance. How does a bottle of 'buffer' know which one of these three to adjust? It doesn't/can't. It's really a non-fix of pH.

If you're pH is not where it belongs, then the water is not properly balanced and the buffer will not balance it. Testing for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium then bringing these three into balance will bring the pH to where it should be and also buffer it there.

The balance chart and directions on how to balance, is given in this post: What is Water Quality.

:)

angnak

Well, I understand all that but this is a hospital tank and I am just trying to get the ph at a good level for the 3 weeks I have left of treatment and keeping the main display empty. Thanks. The question really wasn't about wether to use a buffer to get my ph right it was using a buffer to get the ph up while using cupramine. If you believe no using them together then please explain.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I don't know that mixing the two is bad - Lee will need to tell us that but Keep in mind that raising PH makes ammonia much more toxic.
I would opt for a large water change to fix any water parameter issues.
Low PH can be from too much co2 in the water and/or low alkalinity. Increased aeration/surface aggitation will help with gas exchange.
If you do use the buffer, definately check the water's Ca & Alk (before and after) to make sure you don't over dose.

leebca

If you want to just temporarily adjust the pH for the hospital tank, then just adjust with sodium carbonate, or sodium bicarbonate. The instructions for how to do this is in the hyposalinity post: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...nts/23131-hyposalinity-treatment-process.html

When the hobbyist is performing the hypo treatment for Marine Ich, the buffering ability of the water is thinned so that adjustments to pH using either of the above is recommended. This is the quote from that post:
pH Control
pH is hard to control in a hyposalinity solution because at this dilution, the buffer ability of the diluted saltwater is not good. Be prepared for this.

Make pH adjustments with pure baking soda (e.g., Arm & Hammer) you find in the grocery store, or better yet is sodium carbonate. Sodium carbonate can be made in the home oven. Take a pound of pure baking soda and spread it out evenly on a large cookie sheet. Put into a preheated oven to 350F. Bake it for 30 minutes. Take the sheet out of the oven, let cool to warm and put into an air-tight, clean container for use. Now the baking soda has been turned into sodium carbonate, a more potent pH + additive.

But, it is important that even your quarantine tank/hospital tank have a good stable pH. pH is one of those things we hobbyists don't think is too important, but it is one of the most important things to our marine fishes. The buffering ability of the water is what will hold it steady.

Good luck!