Scott's rsm250 updated thread

(For Dom..)

Hello all reefers!
I posted some questions a while back and it was suggested that I start a new thread so here we go.

System type: mixed reef

Startup date: 1/16/16

DISPLAY:

Tank: Red Sea Max 250 (previously owned, fully functional)

Lighting: T5 (one actinic and two aquablue API's) and Euroquatics E5 LED retrofits

Mods: original lighting modified by adding 3 E5 LED retrofits (2 cool daylight, 1 daylight). E5's added to attempt to decrease the temp as it was running hot (often >84F/28.9C)

SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Water: RO/DI (0.000 tds measured) with Red Sea Coral Pro sea salt

Circulation: 2 (stock) display pumps, 1 Koralia evolution 1050

Skimmer: stock skimmer pump

Reactors: none. I own a phosban reactor and media but haven't yet installed it

ATO/evaporation: manual top-up

CHEMICAL SUPPORT:

Regular water changes (~5 gallons/week)

Ca++ reactor: none

Ca++ addition: none yet

Alkalinity addition: Red Sea Alkalinity supplement

Mag addition: " " Mg+ supplement

Other chemical/chemical filtration: Carbon, chemi-pure elite (11.74 oz), and Marine Pure blocks.

Last parameter testing* (3/12/16);

Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 0.13
Calcium - 408
Alkalinity - 6.94 dKh
Mg - 1320
Salinity - 1.0255
PH - 8.3

*for nitrates, ammonia, nitrite, pH - api reef master kit (color charts)
For Ca, Phos, alkalinity - Hanna digital checkers
For Mg - Red Sea Mg Pro test kit (titratable)
For salinity - American marine Inc pinpoint salinity monitor

Livestock: snowflake osellaris, bar gobies (x2), yellow eye tang, Carpenters Fairy wrasse, Astraea and trochus snails, blue legged hermits, anthelia coral, few assorted zoa, and latest addition is a yet unknown coral-like anemone (I think..forgot to get details from LFS!)

The following photos are from initial setup (1/16/16) to current. The large Haddon's carpet anemone was a tragic, stupid addition by myself and her short-lived life is mourned daily lol
8b0a28018b3cbdac229dbf76bf5258ed.jpg
0dd7959525a36e68c4376fa09e31adee.jpg
1c928c15b8c3aa4e87fe61ca7cbbdf52.jpg
3070de2545f3d73456d1187a44dd351d.jpg
9206d12fd067715214b7d966350a8883.jpg
bc5a9bb8a62fe6e3a88ab243524018a0.jpg
3dc09701f13dc1cc610ef43d08461999.jpg
271f15fb1528847dcf1c3b51fe70a504.jpg
9cd0d8e084421d676cf40644ebaa8598.jpg
52cc5d4712ce9adbb36e3bf4d1239500.jpg

Advise, opinions/criticism, sage wisdom etc welcome!
After all, any honest pursuit of wisdom welcomes it:)
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You're a legend mate! Thank you for doing this. I love the info and the tank looks great!
You're definitely off to a good start so far :) the anemone is a really cool looking little critter and I look forward to following along mate and seeing what you bring us in future!

Thanks!
I can't wait until it matures enough to get a tridacna. Let me know if you see anything in my parameters or my setup/lack thereof that looks worrisome.
Wishing I had a par meter to test these E5's vs the T5's;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MatroxD

Hi Scott, the only thing two things that I see are your temp and your phosphate level..

For the temp, if you don't have any fans, I highly suggest, one of the "air king" clip on fans.. They can be had at hydro stores for around 25.00.. They are worth their weight in gold.. Clip it on the sump, angle it to the water and let it work it's magic on your temps..

And if course with the phos, just to get it lower..

And I am running the E5 bulbs also.. The pops.. And I like mine for the fill affect.. How are you liking yours..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks matrox, will look into the fans! Phos is working its way down.
As for the E5's, they have helped a lot with the temp (nighttime ~78, daytime/full lights 80.5 steady). Don't have anything to read par but lights seem to be the same with less heat. Currently have 3 t5/3 E5's running. Really want to get some good UV pop with my softies and not really happening with the current setup. Anyone recommend an LED set that can pop the corals and fits in with the current/stock light fixture of an RSM250? Got some new livestock at the Reef Currents show in Houston this weekend and loving it!

Got some issues now. My CBB stopped eating (barely ever did, even the few aptasia went more or less untouched), developed ich then had to be put down [emoji17]Added a phosban reactor to my system right around the time the CBB was getting worse. Right before I pulled the CBB from the tank I noticed my zoas, Duncan and even waving hand coral all closed up a bit. Here's a photo right before I removed the CBB
6341c6e07154c6b18ee32a170952bc84.jpg

Parameters were ok, phos had dropped to 0.11 from 0.23 within a few days but otherwise Params were consistent. Can GFO do this? Is the ferrous oxide dangerous?

Antics

GFO is intended to remove phosphates. It works best in a reactor but it can be exhausted pretty quickly depending on how high phosphates are. Replace it every two weeks/monthly depending on your parameters.

MatroxD

Parameters were ok, phos had dropped to 0.11 from 0.23 within a few days but otherwise Params were consistent. Can GFO do this? Is the ferrous oxide dangerous?

Yes, it typically does do that, if the levels are high(which those are pretty high).. It typically does that drop in about two days depending on the setup that your using the gfo in, the quantity of gfo used, and type(high or standard capacity).. And yes, if the coral is used to higher phosphorus levels, and then it falls substantially, yes, it can to will make them angry and they can close.. And it's not really dangerous perse'. What can be dangerous to coral is the level being initially high, and then beginning using gfo, and bringing the level to acceptable range.. But it's not the gfo itself that's dangerous.. It's simply doing what it's supposed to do...

What happens, is when you first start using it, you will go through quite a bit to get the levels down, because your changing it frequently(because it will absorb and then be expired), so it's best to use small amounts, changing frequently, so as to not shock the system and coral.. Then, the next stage is leaching from the rock and sand, and that takes a while to get rid of. You will still go through gfo, but not quite as fast.. Then finally, you will have your standard maintenance amount.. Then, you can hopefully get through a month to couple months on one batch(fill).. But it takes time..

But your phosphorus was high, and went down pretty good. So is not shocking that they closed.. I would just keep an eye on the level rising back up again, and if/when it does, change it the gfo..

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk