Scooter Blenny Flashing

Susanedw

20170223_124107_resized_1.jpg Okay, my scooter is full of personality--one of my favorite fishes. When I stand next to tank, he comes over and watches me. If I move, he moves. Quite a character. I've trained him to take frozen brine and mysis from a turkey baster. He goes up to a rock and waits and when I start squirting (after shutting off all pumps) a small pile for him, he bites the baster until he gets his food. I noticed his coloring on his tail getting much redder and the pattern more distinct.

Today, to my surprise he lifted all his back fins and I was shocked at just how colorful the guy really is. Had no idea. Then, later, he started lifting and flashing his fins at me. Even will come off the rocks, down to the side of the glass, and lift and flash and do this little dance. As I'm sitting here, he came to the glass (my desk is about 3 feet away) and started doing it again, then left as I wasn't right there!

What is this behavior?
Mating?
Thank you for feeding me?
Get the heck away from my tank?
Whatever it is, I love it.

Here is a video

DaveK

These fish just seem to like to do it. It might be a mating thing, but I don't know for sure. I've seen this in a lot of similar fish.