Sandstorm.

banjowalker

Long story short noob mistake by not rinsing the sand thoroughly because Marcosand was too fine and I was losing it all. I have tried letting all the sand settle without any of my equipment on, but every time I turn everything back on it continues to cloud. Is there anything I can do about this? I am running carbon and my skimmer is on and working overtime. I am going to be cycling soon and I would like to be able to see inside the tank before I start. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated

reefer gladness

Not much you can do about the grain being too fine but replace it. Many of us started off with a fine grade of sand only to replace it soon after experiencing the same issues. You can try re-directing your powerheads of course but if sand is still being pushed around forming dunes etc. you either accept it or replace it.

There's a 'reef grade' aragonite that's become very popular, a lot RS members are using this now:

http://www.marinedepot.com/CaribSea_Dry_Aragonite_Special_Grade_Reef_Sand_Dry_Sand_for_Saltwater_Reef_Aquariums-CaribSea-CS0020-FISSDS-vi.html

banjowalker

Not much you can do about the grain being too fine but replace it. Many of us started off with a fine grade of sand only to replace it soon after experiencing the same issues. You can try re-directing your powerheads of course but if sand is still being pushed around forming dunes etc. you either accept it or replace it.

There's a 'reef grade' aragonite that's become very popular, a lot RS members are using this now:

http://www.marinedepot.com/CaribSea_Dry_Aragonite_Special_Grade_Reef_Sand_Dry_Sand_for_Saltwater_Reef_Aquariums-CaribSea-CS0020-FISSDS-vi.html
Thanks I will look at that. I can't accept this though. I can't even see the scape inside my tank.

DaveK

This comes down to doing one of two things. Replaceing the sand as mentioned by reefer gladness, or continue to set up the tank and cycle it.

The very fine dust that is clouding the water will settle out in time, and once you get a bacteria film over everything, it will take out this fine dust from the water. However, if you stir up the sandbed, you will get some more dust freed up and into the water. That will clear in a day or so.

If you don't want that, replace the sand now. It's a lot easier to do while your still setting up.

DaveK

You want to start the cycle now. Filter floss will not really trap this fine dirt, unless the tank is cycled and there is a bacteria film over it. The bacteria film is sticky and will trap the fine particles like this.

There are filters available, such as the Diatom XL that can filter out fine material like this. However, that is an expensive solution of something you will only use once and awhile.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I personally like the fine sand. I always use the live sand for this reason. It doesn't have to be rinsed and even thought there is a little clouding until everything settles. It is not that bad and doesn't take long. The sand is just more expensive. As mentioned, it will also help if you don't aim the power heads towards the sand so that it doesn't get blown around.

Oxylebius

I also use and like the fine sand. It can take days for the cloudiness to settle down. Patience, it will happen. As was mentioned above, now is a good time to get your cycle going, nothing else is gonna happen to the tank in this time frame anyway, so you might as well move on to the next step now while your waiting for the tank to clear (and it will clear). :)

banjowalker

148fb337acd45ba4266d8312c4ee7a85.jpg
Removed the old sand. It was just too fine and I couldn't see any progression. This is only one night after removal.