Sand storms and corals...

audemars

So I need to clean my substrate and its quite grimey. I now have coral in my tank (yaay) and I read its good to create a sand storm while you clean the substrate and blow off the detri' from the rock and all but wont this get all in the corals? I think I am just looking for reassurance before I do it.
any pointers?

Also I have 0.00 Iodine in my tank. whats best to boost this to the req' 0.06?

Thanx guys!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
There are iodine additives, and also a Lugol's solution. I have a Salifert iodine additive and only dose about every 3 weeks. You have to be careful with iodine - too much is a lot worse than too little. I used to add one drop of Lugols, but very infrequently.

Go ahead and blow the detritis off the rocks, but don't go overboard with the substrate LOL! I'd try not to get them covered with substrate. If the corals get covered you can gently blow the worst of it off with a turkey baster.

imaccat

Hi Reefmack,

I've seen 'turkey baster' mentioned a number of times, do you really mean a kitchen baster or is there an aquarium equivalent?

Poriferan

ist2_1078991_turkey_baster.jpg

There is a glass(Pyrex) version that a member here makes also, but I have not received a response to my inquires in over a week.

Setragni

Audemars, I watched your video on youtube a couple of times before buying my RSM. I can say that your video helped with my decision. Thank you!

BTW how long did you take to setup everything? from the stand to the tank... it took me about 5 hours oO.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Charles - just the standard plastic turkey baster is what most (or all) of us use. I'd get a new one and just keep it reserved for the tank.

I think you must be thinking of Big Jay's pyrex thread? I don't think he makes pyrex turkey basters, just pyrex target feeders. The target feeders are great for target feeding, but would not work well at all for blowing off the rock (too small & they don't push a lot of water).

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
ist2_1078991_turkey_baster.jpg

There is a glass(Pyrex) version that a member here makes also, but I have not received a response to my inquires in over a week.

+1...I tried to order a couple of target feeders from him a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard back either. Maybe he is on holidays.

w00t

+1...I tried to order a couple of target feeders from him a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard back either. Maybe he is on holidays.

+2

I did buy a feeder and pod house from him months ago, but when I went back to order some more he never responded. I tried several times and they all went unanswered.

:dunno: