Sand storm in S 650 new setup

r2d2

Hi all, few weeks ago a friend of mine ask me for help to install and setup his new S 650.
After some afternoons and lunch times of work, assamble is complete.
Last friday (4 days ago) a fresh water run test was made and everything worked just fine.
Buuut.... he is kind of a impatience guy so without any planning at all he decided that we add salt and sand to the tank. Rock is not there yet.
First of all, I must say, I was not agree with him, but, is his tank, not mine.:hammerhead:
We added salt and let the pumps work couple of hours to disolve it, 1.025 reach according to refractometer.
The big problem came when he decided to pour 7 bags of caribsea sand from water surface. The sand storm begun!
Today, after 4 days, water is still white and sand all over the place. We first let pumps running to make filtration works to clear the water, after two days with no change, pump were turned off for another two days. But no change at all....

So.... what to do!? :help: Please help.

DaveK

First off exactly what sand was used? If it was that very fine sugar sand it's always going to have a problem with it staying in place, so I recommend that if your using that very fine sand, replace it, especially since it's a new tank set up. It's far easier to do it now than later.

To clean up the "white water" the best thing to do is drain the tank, discarding the water, and remove the sand. Then carefully "wash" the sand by running water through it until you rinse out all the dust and dirt. Do not overly pound the sand around in the process, as this will cause it to crumble and make more dust and dirt. Clean out the tank if any dust and dirt has settled on the glass or in the filtration system and so on. You need not get this perfect, but get as much as you can. Then set the tank up again using the clean sand. Refill the tank, and mix new SW. Try to disturb the sand as little as possible. You may still get some haze in the water, but it will be a lot better.

Note that a lot of instructions on bags of sand say something like no washing necessary. This is true in some cases but not in very many. Also some sands have bacteria added to them to help start the cycle. Those sands should not be washed, as it will kill the bacteria.

Consider this a learning experience. Don't rush anything in SW systems.

Nobbygas

Can I just add that I prefer to place the rocks first, and then the sand. This avoids possible rock movement when the sand gets shifted by either water movement, or burrowing critters.

r2d2

Thanks for your input.
Definitely is fine sand, live sand with bacteria, so washing it was not an option.
Maybe change all water will discard all fine powder and help to clear it with new water.

I told my friend that when rock arrive, we will have to empty the tank in order to make the aquascaping and then refill it.
But instead of using same "white" water, we could mix new water...

DaveK

Can I just add that I prefer to place the rocks first, and then the sand. This avoids possible rock movement when the sand gets shifted by either water movement, or burrowing critters.

Personally I think your better with a very thin layer of sand under the rock That keeps the rock from putting a lot of pressure at one point.

The other thing I do that works even better is to cut short lengths of 1 1/2" diameter pipe, just long enough to come out of the sandbed by 1/4" or more. Use them as standoffs. The put the rock on top of them. That prevents anything from shifting the rock and lifts the rock out of the sand.

DaveK

Thanks for your input.
Definitely is fine sand, live sand with bacteria, so washing it was not an option.
Maybe change all water will discard all fine powder and help to clear it with new water.

I told my friend that when rock arrive, we will have to empty the tank in order to make the aquascaping and then refill it.
But instead of using same "white" water, we could mix new water...

The thing is that if you do that, you will still have a lot of fine material in the sand. So anytime the sand gets disturbed, you'll have another cloud of fine dirt and dust to deal with.

That's why the best course of action would be to replace the sand, up front.

r2d2

Personally I think your better with a very thin layer of sand under the rock That keeps the rock from putting a lot of pressure at one point.

The other thing I do that works even better is to cut short lengths of 1 1/2" diameter pipe, just long enough to come out of the sandbed by 1/4" or more. Use them as standoffs. The put the rock on top of them. That prevents anything from shifting the rock and lifts the rock out of the sand.

I like that idea of standoffs, thanks!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Don’t drain that water, throw a piece of shrimp in there and start the cycle..... once the bacteria arrives it’ll grab those little particles and pull them down. You’ll wake up one morning to clear water and you’ll be shocked!

If it were dry sand that you added it would be a diff story!