Salt Water Mixing Station Temps - need help

saintsreturn

Hey guys,

How are you folks in warmer climates keeping the water in your mixing station cool? I just did a batch and it reached 92 in this Texas heat.

I just built a cooling coil that I will.have to buy ice for, but figured someone has a better idea out there that doesn't involve a chiller just for a mixing station.

Thanks yall

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

frisbee

Just freeze some water bottles and add these to the container when needed. Add a pump for circulation, monitor the temperature and you should be set.

saintsreturn

Thank you. I have RO freezing in ziplocks right now so i can try to drop the temp enough tonight to do the change. I will also be running it through a hose i coiled into a bucket that i will fill with ice as i need to do this water change sooner than later.

The water bottle idea will be my go to next time for sure. buying ice sucks.

saintsreturn

Well this got fun. I put 6 bags of frozen RO and used a bucket of ice with a hose to attempt to drop temp. The results.... just a mess to clean up and hot water. I am going to export water into 5g jugs and cool in the AC and then drop frozen water bottles in the remainder of the water volume to make more progress.

That said, i did get 5g changed in the system and scrubbed algae off three rocks. It was interesting to see if come off with this contraption i made versus pulling by hand.

I didnt take a pick, but i zip tied a toothbrush to a siphon hose and started scrubbing. worked really well and was easier than i anticipated.

Now i just need to cool this water LOL. After all the ice melted i was still at 98.7 degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_20180718_170827303_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180718_170827303_HDR.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20180718_171108399_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180718_171108399_HDR.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2

saintsreturn

Ok, so last night i drained about 10 gallons into containers to cool via the house temp and dropped 8 frozen water bottles in the main mixing tank to drop its temp. I finally got it down to 80 and performed the large water change. My ideas failed and apparently i just need to keep frozen bottles on hand for the larger changes.