HELP! salt mix ratio

stuart walstrom

Hi wonder if anyone can help , I'm new to red sea as I have just got myself a red sea max e series 170
I have been keeping a tank for a few years but always brought my salt water already made up but its costly
I'm trying to work out how much coral pro salt I need to add for a 20ltr water change
would appreciate any help

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
a refractometer is one of the best investments you can make - having said that... 2 and 1/2 cups to 5 gallons of water is pretty close starting point for Red Sea salt... but some mates from across the pond will have to jump in with the liter conversions :clink: or this may help

http://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/liters-to-us-liquid-gallons.htm

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

SPR

Hi wonder if anyone can help , I'm new to red sea as I have just got myself a red sea max e series 170
I have been keeping a tank for a few years but always brought my salt water already made up but its costly
I'm trying to work out how much coral pro salt I need to add for a 20ltr water change
would appreciate any help

Hi Stuart and welcome!

It tells you on the side of the bucket depending on what salinity your after, but it's 38.2g per litre of water to get 35ppm salinity

Make sure you use RODI water and an RO unit will be well worth your while in the long run.

Hope this helps.

DaveK

Hi Stuart and welcome!

It tells you on the side of the bucket depending on what salinity your after, but it's 38.2g per litre of water to get 35ppm salinity

Make sure you use RODI water and an RO unit will be well worth your while in the long run.

Hope this helps.

This is correct, but keep in mind that salt mixes can absorb a lot of moisture. This means that after you mix it, you still need to check the result with a refractometer or hydrometer.

Squatch XXL

This is correct, but keep in mind that salt mixes can absorb a lot of moisture. This means that after you mix it, you still need to check the result with a refractometer or hydrometer.
I mix 30 gallon/week and am always amazed at how 1 flat cup of salt mix = 1.024 at the beginning, but by the end of the tub of salt I always have to add a full cup or more extra. I just ran out of my last tub last week and noted that there was an extra cup needed to get my salinity right.

A refractometer or hydrometer at the least is a requirement for at-home mixing.