Saint's 75g

saintsreturn

Ok I fixed my brain dead moment and am ready for some input. Please provide it all. The good and the bad. I am missing one threaded coupler that will go on the left in place of the coupler. I will have flex pipe dropping into the skimmer and refuge area I think. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456009307.134058.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456009317.669688.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456009327.307650.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456009335.478612.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456009343.599211.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cracker

Ok the 4th pic is a close up of the HOB drain, right? Do You have valves on these 2 drains?
I assume you want to split the drain. some water goes into the skimmer section,some into the refugium?

Last edited:

saintsreturn

Ok the 4th pic is a close up of the HOB drain, right? Do You have valves on these 2 drains?
I assume you want to split the drain. some water goes into the skimmer section,some into the refugium?
That is correct. There are two pipes with two valves. One goes into the skimmer and one goes into the refugium.

saintsreturn

Is there a minimum or maximum gap for the baffles? I am thinking of separating them enough to drop a charcoal sack between them but am not sure if that's to wide to be a bubble trap

StirCrayzy

Mine are 1/2" I know a lot are around an inch, but anything more than an inch is a waste of space unless you need it for something specific. I think a bag of carbon wouldn't take more than an inch.

saintsreturn

Awesome thank you. Will do 1-1.5 inches since I plan on dropping my carbon in there. Will glue soon, maybe tonight [emoji3][emoji3]

Pump is ordered. Now just debating on my rock and trying to by my AI prime locally instead of on Amazon. It's almost time to go live!

Ok another question. I LOVE Florida limestone rock. It's porous and corals really root in. I can order some at a great price and have what I need by the weeks end. I get a lot for the money since its light. But the LFS has some decently priced dry rock that's less porous and very heavy. This will require less rock (mass not weight). Is their a drawback to having heavy rock instead of lots of rock?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cracker

Cool Saint, I haven't seen a valve like that. You will need to adjust the vale on the bottom drain a little to get water to flow well thru the top drain . Be careful, it "might" backup the flow thru the entire overflow/drain a bit. A 1 utube overflow is good for about 600gph? That's with no obstructions. right?

saintsreturn

It claims 800 so I am going with around 650. I don't like the look, but wanted to avoid Ts which would have made it all look cleaner. Just concerned about the flow rates. Just bought the Sicce 3.0

cracker

Real nice pump! I have one on the 75 plenty of flow and real quiet. Do You have the pump or waiting on delivery? On the intake side there is a adjust where you can turn down the flow. If You have it in hand You know what I'm mean . Ok So I had a hob with 1 utube. It wouldn't handle the flow. I had to slightly close the vent . I had to use 2 utubes before I could fully open the adjust on the pump. Now the overflow it'self was fine just the one utube couldn't keep up. I'm not saying Your's won't work at all. Just my experience. Also the hob I used was in storage for years and most likely different from Yours. Other wise your overflow is rated at 800 gph and the 3.0 runs about 600?. You should be fine.
I'm very interested to see how Your's works for You.

saintsreturn

Love the feedback cracker thank you. I am going to pick up another u tube when I hit the lfs and keep it on hand for the testing. Not sure if two will fit in the area designed to keep the prime.
I am debating removing the valve from the refugium side and using the valve on the skimmer side to direct flow both ways. Not sure.

Heard great things about the pumps which is why I bought that one. No it will be here tomorrow but I am on hold with production until Wednesday anyway. :)

saintsreturn

So I looked at a design online and followed it with my refugium. Failed to realize I won't be able to do my sand bed now for my greens to grow in. I am debating putting in an bowl with sand or taking away another inch from the refugium. What do y'all think? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456168810.400053.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456168823.853076.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456168830.155923.jpg

Don't judge the glass that moved [emoji23][emoji23]

saintsreturn

Did a bad thing ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456258697.890255.jpg

Two ai prime lights
Mounting kits
1 blade refugium light
Rock glue
Salt
Cheap pump for mixing

Damn the list seems so small for how much I just spent lol

Last edited:

cracker

No Ya didn't ! it's all going to be put to good use or bad. LOL
Anyway welcome to the addiction that is reef keeping ! Enjoy tinkering with You new stuff.

saintsreturn

So today was another Amazon day.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456370467.376201.jpg

I decided to add the third pane even though I didn't want to. Now I can put the sand bed in. I decided to test the effectiveness of the refuge tank with crooked baffles. More to report later when everything dries and I test run.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456370543.212126.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456370553.401178.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456370571.359689.jpg

Had to modify the sump by cutting pet of the plastic lip to make the blade fit. Love it now!

As you can see it's all coming together. I am almost done with the plumbing, but need to make stop number three to Home Depot as the missing fittings have not appeared yet from the move. Should have everything glued by Saturday, spray coated by Sunday, tested Sunday and ready to fill next weekend :)

cracker

Only 3 stops to the hd? That's good! As for the angled baffle , You may be on to something! what's the suggested water level for the skimmer? That one panel looks very deep for the skimmer section maybe?

saintsreturn

Yeah it's to deep but I wanted it deep so I could just shelve it up in case I ever upgrade. Hoping to capture as much water as possible without the risk of overflowing. It will be interesting to test it all shortly.

So I bumped the damn glass and had an adult beverage or two. My usual attention to detail didn't kick in until it set and I don't feel like starting over. We will see how it all plays out.

Last edited: