Saint's 75g

Tru2nr

Saint- sorry bud I thought I was subscribed to this thread! You are correct what I was referring to was going to Petco and buying a tank for a sump and then getting plate glass to make the baffles and there's your sump. Simple return pump with a gate valve making sure at the proper head it can push at least 4x your total water volume per hour. I do like that canopy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saintsreturn

Thank you Tru. I appreciate the follow up and the feedback. I am picking the sumo build stuff next pay check. Nervous about building it without the skimmer so I will have to pick and guess

Tru2nr

You can always put the skimmer on a stand if you need to increase to height

saintsreturn

That will probably be the plan. I am debating on dry rock or the sump for the next purchase. If I buy the dry rock, I will have plenty of time to play with it and scape it the way I want. If I buy the sump, I will have plenty of time to build, but can save money on waiting.... I don't know how people remain patient in this hobby. We will see what happens when I have the cash in hand lol

Tru2nr

That will probably be the plan. I am debating on dry rock or the sump for the next purchase. If I buy the dry rock, I will have plenty of time to play with it and scape it the way I want. If I buy the sump, I will have plenty of time to build, but can save money on waiting.... I don't know how people remain patient in this hobby. We will see what happens when I have the cash in hand lol

Usually in the beginning we. Never stay patient and even on our 8th set up sometimes we still aren't patient. I was super patient with my 75g RR and it was one of my most pristine tanks I've ever had with out doin hardly anything

Oxylebius

Agree with Tru2nr in that the last marine tank I started I was really patient with it and it has been one of the easiest that I've had.

Cycled for a good 6 weeks, had lots of cuc in it for 3-4 months during the ugly algae growing stage, added 2 fish at 5 months, added sps corals after that and they took off easily. Added one fish every 4-6 weeks (after QT) after that.

saintsreturn

After going back and forth on returning this tank and hood or keeping it and not thinking about the larger setups, we decided to keep the plan and move forward. Money is stupid tight for the holidays, so it's been a little slower going than planned, but here is a small update.

Let's keep the fish in the tank
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450985181.223450.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1450985189.259228.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1450985196.845097.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1450985204.447234.jpg

saintsreturn

Going to look at paint for the back glass this weekend when I buy paint for getting the house on the market.

That said, is 3/4 pipe sufficient for plumbing or is 1 inch the way to go? 1 inch just seems really large for the project. Planning on picking that up and starting the design phase while I wait to see what long tanks go on sale for the sump. I was originally planning on a 15, but now looking at 20 or 30g for the refugium

saintsreturn

1) anything specific for paint or is latex good to go for the back glass?
2) should plumbing be 1" or 3/4" piping?

saintsreturn

Went shopping today with some Christmas money and the tank got a few new presents.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451164068.089758.jpg 1 inch pipe and some free paint
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451164088.877370.jpg
Second coat
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451164101.335113.jpg

saintsreturn

Thank you for the comment! Yeah my wife picked it out and I think it turned out great. Plus it was 2.50 for the roller kit and the paint was free thanks to a special lowes has for free samples

I am going to get at least a 20 long or whatever I can larger under there. I am looking at a couple other options as I have a free 10g that I may add on as well. We will see

DaveK

1) anything specific for paint or is latex good to go for the back glass?
2) should plumbing be 1" or 3/4" piping?

There is no need to paint it at all. In a couple of months coraline algae will cover it. Also, you'll have quite a pile of rock on day one, not much to see of the back anyway.

Go with the larger pipe unless you have a specific reason for using something smaller. You'll get a lot better flow from larger pipe. The cross sectional area of 1" pipe is about double that of 3/4" pipe.

Squatch XXL

Go with the larger pipe unless you have a specific reason for using something smaller. You'll get a lot better flow from larger pipe. The cross sectional area of 1" pipe is about double that of 3/4" pipe.
This is great advice.

From my perspective at having a pair of 3/4" drains....Id rather have one or two 1".....

saintsreturn

Thank you all for the comments. I ended up painting it since it cost about 2$. Lowes is giving away free paint samples and it gave me something to do in the cold weather while I smoked a cigar.

I bought 1 inch pipe and have had 3/4 on hand due to some sprinkler maintenance. I will use the 1 inch for the project and only use 3/4 if required by some limitation. Maybe the 3/4 will be good for my water change system I am tying in. We will see.

Hope you all are having a great weekend and thank you for the feedback. Once I find my sump, questions and pictures will be plenty :)

saintsreturn

Thank you Wrangy [emoji1][emoji109]

We are moving in two weeks and I expect to have the rest of the supplies within a month. Well at least enough to get the water going lol. Are we ever really done???

And I know we need pics for proofImageUploadedByTapatalk1453301770.177332.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1453301781.146831.jpg