SAE258854 - Original 130 tank setup

sae258854

HI everyone,

Its been awhile since i picked up my RSM 130 off of craigslist. Cleaned that bad boy out and upgraded a few things and finally set the system up to cycle.

Here's a list of inventory on system:

* Original RSM 130
* Upgraded pump (courtesy of Red Sea Max ; great customer service!!)
* upgraded RSM surface skimmer
* RapidLED retrofit dimmable solderless LEDs with manual dimming controller (full spectrum kit: 14 royal blue; 1 red, 1 green, 4 UV ; 7 cool white)
* Eheim Jager 150w heater
* Tunze 9001 skimmer
* InTank media basket
* JBJ Arctica 1/10 chiller ( will need it living in Southern CAlifornia)
* Koralia EVO 1400
* Refractometer

* Tunze ATO ( haven't pulled trigger yet as still deciding on 3152 or 3155 model)
* 30lbs CaribSea Fiji Pink sand
* approx. 40 lbs of live rock (25 lbs live rock thats been dry and sitting in bucket, and 15 lbs of live rock)

I upgraded and installed the RapidLED. The process took me 4 hours to complete and adjust drivers. After completing, i realized i failed to take pictures so i can document and show the process. ( sorry) I like the shimmering effect and brightness of the LEDs, however i will need to adjust the lighting to my liking....they are very bright...also the red and green leds tend to give it a spotlight...will look into it further.

On Sunday, I was able to mix RO water with some Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and tested at 1.026. I added it to the tank and I was on my way. After debating to add sand or rock first, I went ahead and put the 30lbs of sand to create a rough 1 1/2" -2" sand bed. I used a cup to add the sand in so sandstorm wasn't too bad. Not being able to see, i went ahead and just blindly put the rock into the tank. I figured i can start my aquascaping when it clears up or when the cycle is complete.

I put the Intank Media Basket in along with some filter floss and luckily for me, the tank has cleared up pretty good. After reading numerous post, i left out the purigen and CPE. Whats the general consensus on this? Should I wait until my cycle is done before adding these two in?

I have yet to plumb the chiller as temperatures have been somewhat cool but will do so soon.

I haven't installed the Tunze 9001 skimmer also as I will wait until my cycle is done....or should i go ahead and install/run it now?

Speaking of my cycle, woke up this morning and turned off lights (will be off during cycle) and everything looked great. opened up the lid to look and was hit with a very bad foul smell...im guessing the die off from the rock?? Wife doesn't think it was too bad but it was to me. Is this normal and how long should i expect this to last? the whole cycle?

I failed to test water parameters but will do so once i get home. Should have done it when set up for documentation but i was waiting for water to clear.

Again, thanks for all the help and looking forward to posting photos...nearly there.

sirrealism

Welcome to RS. Lots of great people here to help you.
I would go ahead and turn the skimmer on since it sounds like you have die off from the rocks. This will help get rid of the smell sooner. The smell should not last long. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your set up. You will need to get 5 posts up before you can post pics.

sae258854

well...i attempted to get the 9001 skimmer in last night and was not sure at what height to leave the top cup at? any suggestions?

tested water and got the following:

temps: steady at 78.3
Salinity: 1.026
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Well, that horrid smell was gone and whatever die-off i had was not actually it? replaced the filter floss as it was full of the residue from the sand

Question is, how long before the cycle will begin? I'm thinking of using the shrimp method to jump start it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

sae258854

Ok here are a couple the tank shots. Hopefully doing this right..

IMG_4312_zps469973c1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

sirrealism

You are doing fine. You might want to rethink you aquascape. Stack it higher and have a little in the sand at the bottom as you can. Leave caves and holes as much as you can as this will give fish places to hide and also keep from having stagenent water. Plus some corals like high light and some dont so you will have more space for different corals. As far as the cycle you can do the shrimp. I would use a small one since its a pretty small tank.
The skimmer is kind of hit and miss and something you will have to play with. But you have plenty of time since it looks like you did not have a bunch of die off..

sae258854

Happy Monday everyone.. heres an update on my tank. Tested water and there seems to be very little change:

PH: 1.026
Ammonia: .5
Nitrate: 5

Haven't had much change. I will go ahead and put in a shrimp to jump start the cycle today. Lights have been off and have read they should stay off? What is the consensus opinion.. should I turn on lights for a portion of the day or leave them off? Installed my Tunze 9001 skimmer yesterday along with some aquascaping. Skimmer will stay off for now.

Here are a couple updated photos of the new aquascape. Opinions and criticisms are welcomed. I noticed that my RapidLED set does provide a spotlight on the green, red, and UV...anyone know how to offset this or is this the norm?

thanks

Joeys Tank

Lights off or on is an option. Personally, I would run them on because while you are focused on the nitrogen cycle (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) you also have live rock in the tank. Therefore, you are also working another cycle in your tank along with the nitrogen cycle. This other cycle is the growth of the top layer of your rock which is alive (not just bacteria) and a lot of the microfauna you have will need that light to grow. Now, this will lead to algae growth (which is also natural). You can minimize the algae bloom with reduced lighting prior to introducing your clean up crew.

I often read about people using a deli shrimp or additives to jump start the cycle. While common, I question whether this is the "best" approach. I have had my fair share of "rushing things" in my tank, but alot of advice out there also says to take things slowly, have patience. This time will greatly benefit your tank, your LR and LS, but will also benefit you with the added time to research, learn the specifics about your tank, and give you time to establish solid husbandry practices.

sae258854

oh one other thing...if you can see the ripple/ridge of sand at the front of the tank, this is caused by the flow/position of the return pump. what direction is suggested by everyone to position the nozzle for best tank flow.

Thanks

Joeys Tank

Several people like to point the return nozzle along the top of the water to create a ripple affect to help break up surface film and to aid in the transport of nitrogen gas out of the water (not so high that you are getting splashing).

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I like to run my lights... a few hours a day, while rock watching & enjoying the tank - then increase the light cycle an hour or 2 per week... as the tank cycles

as Joey said ^ no one right answer here, whenever you start running them, you will see some algae growth, all normal with a new tank

I always have added a shrimp when cycling & just let it rot, more than one way to proceed, but this is an old school way that was worked for many

I don't recommend any other additives...

Oleo1975

Congrats on the new tank. I just hit my 1 year mark. I didn't do the shrimp method and probably would if I had it to do over again....it took me about three weeks to get the cycle done.

sae258854

hi everyone..just a quick update on my tank as I am still waiting for the tank to cycle. I added the shrimp in the tank this past Monday so its been in there for four days. Tested my water yesterday and here is what i have:

Temps: 78.4
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrate: 10

looks like cycle started but i dont believe its done. Tank was cycled with live sand and most live rock that was out of the tank for nearly a month.

to be safe i'll keep waiting until after thanksgiving holiday to make sure. I have also started to have lights on during this time for about 6 hours a day to help with the algae growth.

here is a shot of the shrimp in the tank..i tied it to a small piece of live rock so it would be easier to remove if/when i have to.

How long does the cycling generally take when using a shrimp?

sae258854

just a little cycle update...looks like getting an algae/diatom bloom. here are a couple photos of the tank...shrimp is still in there. sorry for bad quality photos...i take them on my way out the door with iphone. will pull out the SLR when i start stocking.

sae258854

Hi everyone. for those who celebrated Thanksgiving holiday, hope it was a good one!

Now here is an update on the tank. The shrimp i added has nearly disappeared and i had a great diatom bloom going that covered my sand and all the rocks...even some little hair algae..

I tested water parameters and am getting the same reading for:

PH: 1.026
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates:0

Over this past weekend, even with the lights on 8-10 hours a day, the bloom has been slowly disappearing.

I have tested the water and still getting the same numbers as above. Testing was done for every other day...Yesterday noticed the water was clear still but seemed like cloudy bits here and tehre....almost smoke like in the water.

anyone know what is going on? I have not done my water change yet and was looking to do it this week. there is no way i could have the cycle completed. i never received my ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate spike.

unless my cycle has yet to start? can a diatom occur without the cycle completing and what can cause the algae to start disappearing?

Im a bit lost so any advice, help, is greatly appreciated.

also, Tunze 9001 skimmer still off. cant seem to get it in proper position? any advice there as well.?

thanks everyone.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Very strange you don't have any nitrates - you could have missed the ammonia & nitrites that converted, depending on the state of your LR, but you should have nitrates?

Have or are you dosed anything?

See what others think...

sae258854

No, I have not dosed anything. ill try to take a video/photo of the tank once i get home from work. will also test again. yeah.. hopefully someone with feedback that might help.

Thanks

sae258854

yeah tested just now and getting the same results...at a lost. not sure if i go ahead and do a water change and proceed or just wait it out for another week. maybe stick another piece of shrimp in there again.

numbers are:

PH. 8.2
Nitrates: 0

anyone ever come across a API test kit that is bad?