SAE258854 - Original 130 tank setup

Joeys Tank

At this time, with zero for all three parameters, and knowing that the tank consumed a deli shrimp I would question my tests. It is possible to have zero ammonia and nitrites (meaning your nitrifying bacteria has established) but I seriously doubt your denitrifying bacteria has fully established to convert your nitrates to nitrogen gas. Diatoms will consume some of your nitrates, but not drive them down to zero.

API test kits can and do expire, some may degrade prior to the posted expiration date for several reasons. I would take a water sample to a LFS or local hobbyist and have them test for nitrates. Reasoning why I would do it is that path has less cost associated with it if you are wrong (i.e. there actually is zero nitrates) than if you are to start stocking the tank and you are wrong (i.e. loss of stock).

sae258854

OK so here is another update.

I picked up another test kit for Nitrates (API as well) and it also came out as 0 nitrates.....Took a water sample to the LFS and they tested for zero nitrates as well. they were not sure themselves why it is reading zero and said i should just do my initial water change as it has been four weeks since starting the tank.

I noticed that im starting to get green algae all over rocks, sand and also bits of green hair algae as well. I use the mag float daily to clean glass but as of yesterday left lights off to see if i can get rid of it. Here are a couple photos of the struggle...

im hoping water change and skimmer being on now will help.

You can tell with the blue rubber band on rock was where I had the shrimp that has fully dissolved...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
if it's been four weeks... shrimp decayed, no ammonia or nitrites...

start weekly wc 10-15%, add some purigen 100 ml bag, cuc, 1st coral & 1st fish or pair (then wait another month before adding any more fish)is one one to proceed...

sae258854

hey everyone. Sorry for the lack of updates as with the holidays its been extremely busy. A lot has occurred since my last post. Picked up a CUC from reefcleaners, added a pair of false perculas, and a cleaner shrimp.

Also was able to pick up some coral frags for $5 a pop from locals. Not too bad i guess. Attached are a couple photos on the tank so far.

Had an issue with the Tunze 9001 skimmer and they were quick in sending a replacement part and all is pretty good right now.

However, as i was taking pictures this morning, noticed some strange white thing on my pump return. Can anyone help ID this please?