Rsmreef tank build

Rsmreef

Hi every one,
Should have done this first to introduce myself . Any way this is my first venture in to the salty side of fish keeping. I had tropicals and a my real love was koi keeping and had three ponds the largest was 10000 gallons good job I can dive. Any way I changed jobs about ten years ago which took me all over the world and the koi had to go. But know I am back doing my own thing and have more time to dedicate to a hobby. So I am now the some what proud owner of a red sae max 250 had to be in white said the better half or your not having it lol. Enough of me let's get to the tank bit ugly at the moment but they look worse before they look better.
84a2070d9201548ea73f91dcad933ffc.jpg

And after a bit of scapeing (after I see some lovely looking tanks no here.
209f4cd242bc93cd4f31527702418156.jpg

Every thing is stock so far the only thing I've added is a auto top up unit.

Wretched

Very nice start, great tank. You'll enjoy it. Is the tank cycled already? Previous algae from previous owners rock? GHA is easily removed by a CUC(clean up crew) Welcome and good luck!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome and thanks for starting a tank thread! I really like the rock work, the fish are gonna love that cave!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Great start mate and really dig the scape too :) Always awesome seeing new tanks!!
What sort of fish and coral are you thinking about getting??

Rsmreef

Thanks wrangy,
Haven't really thought about to much about it yet . I know the wife wants a couple of maroon and gold clowns.
But that is as far as we have got. Will have to right a list out and see what every one thinks . I more of an impulse buyer . But realise I can't be that way any more . I suppose that's one good thing about having to cycle a marine tank give you plenty of time to read read and do some more reading.

Choff

Good looking start!

I tend to be impulsive with my coral purchases, not too much harm in that. Fish on the other hand you have some wiggle room, but ideally you will save yourself a lot of stress if you buy in order of aggressiveness. Least to most. I knew I wanted a purple tang and it was the most aggressive fish of my list. I bought him last..... And it was very hard waiting. If you do go out of order there are tricks though.

Anyway enjoy the process.

....posted from my phone full of auto correct errors.

Rsmreef

Right little up date .
Run the following test to day.
Temp 81 f
Salinity 1.024
Ph 8.1
Ammonia .1
Nitrite .01
Nitrate. .1

That's all I'm testing for while the tank cycles . If I should be testing for something else while I'm in cycle mode please let me know. This is my third lot of test and the first three have remained constant
The bottom three have fallen .
One quick question I'm using a jbl test kit and it uses ammonium rather than ammonia . I have brought a Red Sea ammonia test kit now and that's what I'm using . Want to know if the test result are the same ?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
During the cycle you should be testing Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates. Here is a typical cycle:

goma-albums-cycle-picture24873-cycle.jpg

Rsmreef

Thanks goma seems like I'm running the right test but my numbers seem to be pretty flat line they are going down but haven't seen them spike like that yet but only have run three tests since the 13th when I set the tank up .

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks wrangy,
Haven't really thought about to much about it yet . I know the wife wants a couple of maroon and gold clowns.
But that is as far as we have got. Will have to right a list out and see what every one thinks . I more of an impulse buyer . But realise I can't be that way any more . I suppose that's one good thing about having to cycle a marine tank give you plenty of time to read read and do some more reading.

You'll have to make sure you get some fellow boisterous fish as maroons can get a little aggressive once they settle in but if you have fish of a similar temperament then you'll be just fine :) Good thing about cycle's is that you give you plenty of planning and researching time!
Tanks coming along nicely with all the algae :p Once you are able to get a CUC on that you'll be cooking with gas :yup:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Looking GOOD so far! Don't worry about the GHA (green hair algae) it's just part of the cycle progress & your CUC (clean up crew) will mow it down & love every bite :yummy:
Your rock scape is AWESOME, I can see this being a beautiful tank! Glad you are sharing your build...I'm posting in to watch this come to life :geekin:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Would be great to put a cuc in but can't yet as I'm still cycling my tank just have to live with it for now .

It's BEST to WAIT....it's just growing more for your CUC to eat....then they poop & make good stuff for your little pods to eat. :yup: it all works out really BUNCHES BETTER if you DO NOT RUSH the tanks cycle. :time:

Rsmreef

Yeah your rights run some more tests to day and every thing is at 0.
By that I mean ammonia nitrate and nitrate. Gonna run some more Sunday see if they stay the same .