RSM650 + Reef Octopus Super Reef 5000sss Internal Skimmer

Anyone have any experience with the Reef Octopus Super Reef 5000sss Internal Skimmer or the 3000SSS?
I am looking for a skimmer for my S650 and looking for options that would fit, any info is appreciated.

Link for reference
http://www.saltysupply.com/Reef-Octopus-Super-Reef-5000sss-Int-p/oc9114.htm

I have a s500 and changed my skimmer to a Skimz unit. One issue with the s500 is lack of space so the skimmer I got has the pump inside the unit. It also uses a DC pump. Overall I am very happy

Choff

I have the xp 3000i and I love it. Blows away the c skim. Do the sss have bubble blaster pumps? Those are what really make it sing. Great pumps, quiet and 3 yr warranty.

...stupid auto correct

Nob35

I changed over to the Reef Octopus Diablo 225 which is fairly close to the 3000sss. I'm very happy that I changed as the diablo is much easier to set and skims much better than the c skim. If you can fit it, I would get the auto neck cleaner also. With my external collector I only need to clean my skimmer every 3 to 4 weeks.

salty23

I have the xp 3000i and I love it. Blows away the c skim. Do the sss have bubble blaster pumps? Those are what really make it sing. Great pumps, quiet and 3 yr warranty.

...stupid auto correct

Choff thanks for the input, did you have to move the xp3000 over to the far left chamber of your sump? The xp5000 is slightly bigger I am just wondering if it would fit in there as well because I am planning to run a 30-40G frag tank off the sump from the S650.

salty23

I changed over to the Reef Octopus Diablo 225 which is fairly close to the 3000sss. I'm very happy that I changed as the diablo is much easier to set and skims much better than the c skim. If you can fit it, I would get the auto neck cleaner also. With my external collector I only need to clean my skimmer every 3 to 4 weeks.

Nob, Thanks for the input. I also looked at the Diablo 225, its got a very small foot print. The Xp3000/Xp5000 have the bubble blaster as well and are both very good skimmers. However I need something that will skim more water volume as I'll be adding a frag tank off the same sump. Just hope the XP5000 can fit, I'm assuming you didn't have to move the skimmer to a different chamber?

Choff

Salty I don't have the stock sump anymore I upgraded to a 125. I was just commenting on how awesome the SRO skimmers are. I'm not sure the xp which is a full cone would fit or not. I would look at the regular 3000i.

I also run a 40b FT and soon a 40b Fuge. IMO the 3000 is more than enough skimmer. I think the 5000 is too big.

...stupid auto correct

Nob35

I reconfigured my sump before setting it up so cannot say what will fit in the stock sump. You need to know what footprint will work, what water depth it needs and make sure the height is ok before ordering. I also believe the diablo or 3000 models will be enough for what you are doing.

salty23

Salty I don't have the stock sump anymore I upgraded to a 125. I was just commenting on how awesome the SRO skimmers are. I'm not sure the xp which is a full cone would fit or not. I would look at the regular 3000i.

I also run a 40b FT and soon a 40b Fuge. IMO the 3000 is more than enough skimmer. I think the 5000 is too big.

Choff, oh darn you got a huge sump then! I wonder what the size foot print I can fit in the stock sump for the S650. It'll arrive on Friday I guess I won't order until then when I measure everything!

...stupid auto correct

salty23

I reconfigured my sump before setting it up so cannot say what will fit in the stock sump. You need to know what footprint will work, what water depth it needs and make sure the height is ok before ordering. I also believe the diablo or 3000 models will be enough for what you are doing.

Nob, I am planning to run a 70g or 90g Frag tank plumbed into my S650 which is why I am looking for a bigger skimmer.
I was looking at the BK mini 200 or the XP5000 SSS. However if the stock sump will not allow the foot print of those I will have to settle with the XP3000.

When you "reconfigured" do you mean you just moved the skimmer from the skimmer chamber to the left chamber or did you move glass around? I am wondering how much footprint space I have to play with. Thank you.

Choff

Salty, IMO the 5000 way is too big. was debating 2000 or 3000. I'm running a 125 gal sump, 40b FT and 40b Fuge. If a skimmer is too large you will have difficulty getting a good head to form and will not efficiently pull skimmate. RO is pretty good with their sizing. They provide 3 stats based on load. My 2 sense anyway.

...stupid auto correct

Nob35

I redid the glass in my sump to make it more traditional sump. I now have a overflow which goes into socks to a skimmer area to refugium to return pump. So I cannot give a real idea of what will fit in yours. I still think that a 3000 should work for you, the main purpose of the skimmer is to pull the waist from fish out of the tank so a frag tank should not add much to the bio load.

salty23

Mr.Salt: Thanks for sharing! So I see you've moved the skimmer to the far left chamber. Which Vertex is that?
Can't wait till mine comes in on Friday! Thanks in advance.