RSM250 Flow question

Where to put the tower

• Move to the center

• Keep in the left

• Move to the right (ugly backside then visible )

Results are only viewable after voting.

Magick88

Hi All,

I have read threads about flow here, I know most people are adding pumps, I have a couple of Koralia on hands. I think that my main problem, though, is that the flow from the main RSM250 (on the left in the pic) is wasted. The problem is that I have Aquaroche Tower on the left that is mostly blocking the pump. I bought a locline and flow divisor to direct the flow beneath the top of the tower, in the see-through, but it was reducing the flow dramatically. I would rather not put the tower on the right, as it is completely flat from the back, very unappealing, and I and others often look at the tank from the right. I was also thinking about cutting the tower top, but was advised against it. Currently, I have the flow either bouncing from the back of the tower or from the left wall, both seem not that great. It just occurred to me to put tower in the center, will be probably not that good in terms of aquascaping, but better for the flow. I plan to keep LPS/softies, especially acans, also to add bubble, hammer and dendro, more zoas, perhaps some chalices or favias. I have just one freebie SPS frag, may add some more, but only easy ones (I have a ton of Marine Pure balls in the sump, that is why not much live rock in the display, 0 nitrates and no algae problems). I have also couple Koralias, used to have 1-2 in the top left and right corners, but they were much less powerful than RSM pumps, so i think that using the main pump efficiently is the main priority now. All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 16.23.21.png

DaveK

When it comes to flow issues, there is no really right or wrong answer. This is because every than is different. What I might consider a moderate flow system, someone else might think it's a high flow system.

That being said, I'd say try your tower in the different locations and see if it makes a difference. Ofr course you can also add other pumps for flow. However, your tank looks good now, so there is the other thought, why mess with success?

Magick88

When it comes to flow issues, there is no really right or wrong answer. This is because every than is different. What I might consider a moderate flow system, someone else might think it's a high flow system.

That being said, I'd say try your tower in the different locations and see if it makes a difference. Ofr course you can also add other pumps for flow. However, your tank looks good now, so there is the other thought, why mess with success?

I have re-started the tank this January, and this time around, I am trying to do everything "right", lol. Changing aquascape will be much easier now, than after adding more corals.

But as you said, the main question is, how to judge if my flow is "right"? So far, I am using very basics criteria - no cyano and corals opening.

DaveK

I've restarted my tank quite a few times over the years and I'm still trying to get everything "just right". Each time it's been better, but after awhile I still think of things I would do differently.

ookamii

I ended up putting a 3/4" Y line loc and 2 reducers to 1/2" and 3" of extension on each to got around my tower. To me it feels like it splits flow evenly and very little loss of flow

Magick88

I ended up putting a 3/4" Y line loc and 2 reducers to 1/2" and 3" of extension on each to got around my tower. To me it feels like it splits flow evenly and very little loss of flow

I tried that, but my impression was I lost most of the flow. Maybe to long loc line?