RSM S500

WingRider62

Hi, my name is Dale and Im an addict. Ive been in the hobby off and on for about 15 years. My wife and I just upgraded to a used S500 and am really impressed so far. However we are having an issue with the water level in the display tank. I cant seem to be able to get the water line high enough to be hidden by the white trim. If I adjust the valve on the back to just below the top of the emergency overflow, it seems to remain quiet, but if I adjust it a little higher, then it starts to make the loud draining noise. When I bought the tank, it had a generic return pump which didnt always restart after a feed cycle. I had an extra Jaebo DC 9000 laying around so I hooked it up. I have not put the old pump back in place yet to see if that helps, do you think it will help? Im pretty sure the DC9000 has somewhere around 2300gph, that should be plenty.....right? Anyway, looking forward to learning from all of you. Thanks in advance.

SPR

Hi and welcome Dale!

The water level is not supposed to be hidden by the trim. It's 'supposed' to be just below the glass bracing bar on the top front of the tank. The instruction manual states the correct level is against the first marker on the viewing window at the back right hand side of the tank.

Having said that, it's your tank and you can put the water level were you want.

On my tank, the water level likes to be just were it starts to flow back down the emergency pipe and however much I mess with it, it likes to be there and it's quiet. If you want it to be higher so it's hides the water line, then just close the valve a little more but I think this is were your problem with the noise lies. It's not supposed to flow down. It's the emergency drain, and the noise would alert you to check it as well.

The pump I would have thought is ok. The standard is 7000lph/1850gph

WingRider62

Thanks for the reply. I can get the water level to the top of the emergency drain and its silent, but the water line on the tank is about 1/4 inch below the white trim which is very visible. Is this just the way it is, or is there something Im missing?

SPR

Have you checked the tank is level, now it's been filled?

When mine is just going down the emergency drain, the water laps around the bracing bar.

mr_tap_water

Welcome Dale to RS
Things have certainly advanced over the last 15 years, so plenty of new things to play around with.
When you have time why not start a diary tell us all about your system and what you have planned and lots of pictures.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie: