RSM S500 Skimmer Options

oakleyx

Hi All,

I'm looking to replace my C-Skim protein skimmer for my rsm s500

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Dan

Snelly40

i love my aquamaxx em200... large enough to handle that tank and a small footprint with the pump being under the skimmer...
buuuut i dont know much about red sea tanks to know if it would fit in the space allotted...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

pablomay28

I
What do you guys think of the Vertex Omega 180i. It looks like it will fit good.

Dan

I love my vertex omega 130 but they are hard to set and you have to get it at a perfect height to get it to work right. If you are considering reef octopus they are very affordable

Last edited:

pablomay28

Vertex 130 =$320 40-100 gal heavy bio load
Vertex 150 =$400 40-150 gal heavy bio load
Reef Octopus 150 =$230 120 heavy-200 light bioload
Aquamax em 200 =$340 120 heavy bio load

I have the Vertex 130 on my Red Sea Reefer 450 and it is more than enough and I have a light to med bio load

Blue Space

What do you guys think of the Vertex Omega 180i. It looks like it will fit good.

Dan

I bought that the vertex 180i as the perfect match for my new build. I haven't got the new build wet yet though so I can't give any reports on its performance. Hopefully someone else on here is using it and will chime in. :D

oakleyx

OK I'll look into the reef octopus too. Blue space keep me updated on the 180i.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

DaveR11

I swapped my Red Sea for a Deltec SC1660 and I love it. Started working straight away and it has not over-skimmed so far. Easy to adjust and fits in the same space and takes up less room (though I had to remove the shelf as it needs to sit lower in the water. Fairly quiet and lower wattage I think. Easy to clean and to see how the cup is filling up and really pulls out the gunk.

pablomay28

honestly you cannot beat the simplicity of the adjustment on Reef Octopus with a gate valve, I wish vertex had that. Wedge pipe adjustments suck.

modulok

I am also looking at a skimmer replacement for my S500....Would be cool to know which ones fit without modification. Pics would be great too!

DaveR11

I don't know if the space is the same in the 500 (it should be as the c-skim is the same....?). I presume it is just the left hand side which is different, but here is the sump in my 650 with the red sea replaced with the Deltec. I love the Deltec.