RSM S 500

Luke Smith

Thank you has anyone got a RSM s500
Could you take pictures of the pipe work so can then see for myself what’s missing please

Pancho75

I have a RSM S-500 but I am not with my tank these are some old pics. I changed the skimmer so they look a little different. I hope it helps you. You can also download the S-500 manual.

8b0c271e74a8aea017694b96b794c718.jpg
f779c97a2c11a10791c82982f586c56d.jpg

Luke Smith

Got that tank iv figured out most of it apart from one bit the pipe/hose that goes from the bottom of the tank to the joining pipe at the base of the tank roughly 6inch long is it a rubber pipe or plastic joining pipe?

Pancho75

I think you are talking about the small hose that connects the RO/DI reserve with the sump, right?

Do you have the valve and the floating device?

SPR

Hi looking at the pipes it’s the right pipe, the middle and left go down to the sump
The grey right pipe in Pancho’s picture above is the emergency overflow pipe.

The grey pipe in the middle is the main down pipe and the thick white pipe with the red stripe is for the return pump if that helps

If you have to redo the plumbing, I would add a gate valve to the main down pipe and eliminate the stupid flow adjuster at the rear of the tank (just open it right up) and control down flow with the gate valve.

Last edited:

Luke Smith

Sorry...
Look at the tank from the back it’s the right pipe of the 3 .... il sort a new valve for the center pipe thank you

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Sorry...
Look at the tank from the back it’s the right pipe of the 3 .... il sort a new valve for the center pipe thank you
The right grey pipe is the emergency overflow and goes into the filter sock chamber same as the main down pipe next to it.

Nobbygas

Are we looking from the front or the back?
The two main rigid pipes are the downflow pipe and the emergency downflow pipe. The flexi pipe is the main Return Pipe from the Return Pump to the tank. The only other small pipe is the thin black rubber tube which is the ATO pipe, and looking from the back it connects to the nipple on the right! The only other 'pipe' not mentioned is the Manifold.

Luke Smith

Hi both looking at the tank from the back the middle and left pipe go straight down to the sump I thought, the right pipe on mine is rubber goes down 90mm then into a plastic pipe that the return pump and skimmer and I think I pipe to a chiller (if fitted) goes too

Luke Smith

Here is the pictures of my setup now

Attachments

• B529F457-4000-410A-B3AD-BED084181BFE.jpeg
    B529F457-4000-410A-B3AD-BED084181BFE.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 12
  • E12D7E73-4D6D-4FCC-BA65-307270C56F73.jpeg
    E12D7E73-4D6D-4FCC-BA65-307270C56F73.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 12

Nobbygas

OK, that's the same as on the S-650. The pipe on the right in the first picture is the Return pipe to the tank. For any Red Sea spare parts in the UK I think Charterhouse Aquatics (?) is the place to go? I'm not 100% sure about that but there are others on here who can either confirm/deny it, or even recommend somewhere.

Next though, I see a small piece of the C-Skim 1800 ? Yes, that connects to the Manifold, but if I may offer some advice, don't bother. It's a real PITA. Replace it with another Skimmer. I use a NYOS 160 on the S-650. You could probably get away with a NYOS 120. I put my C-Skim 1800 on eBay and I didn't receive a single offer for it, not even one quid !

Nobbygas

The C-Skim does skim. However, it is noisy as the pump is not submerged. There is also the 'elbow' bit of pipe where the water comes out of the skimmer. It will just leak plus you hear the water falling from it. Almost every other skimmer has the water exhaust part underwater. It is also very large and takes up so much space. The difference was easy to see once I took the C-Skim out and replaced it with the NYOS.
Undoing the clips that hold the cup on requires you to have forearms like Popeye!
The final thing of course, is that Red Sea no longer supply the C-Skim as they now have their own skimmers.

Luke Smith

Ok thank you il look into another skimmer then.... one last question iv got this pipe in the picture I can’t work out where it goes

Attachments

• 165F7507-051C-4028-B86F-99A8E01F5B68.jpeg
    165F7507-051C-4028-B86F-99A8E01F5B68.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 9

Nobbygas

Ok thank you il look into another skimmer then.... one last question iv got this pipe in the picture I can’t work out where it goes
The only pipe I can think of with a 90 degree bend like that is the arm that comes out of the skimmer carrying the water out of the skimmer, but that picture doesn't really look like that pipe.

Luke Smith

It’s not that pipe as that’s a lot bigger than the one in the picture, maybe it was put with tank by mistake