HELP! RSM Cabinet "Disassembly"

COMMANDO

Hi All.

I was hoping my first thread on this page to be the setup of my new RSM C250... but alas... I am left with an issue to solve first!

This may be silly question (although I believe in life that no question is a silly one): Has anyone on this forum had experience with disassembling a Red Sea Max cabinet (this can be the 130D, C130, 250 or C250, as the construction is very similar).

I purchased a RSM C250 from my LSF and it was delivered to me assembled. This seemed great as it saved me loads of time, but I then realized that the rear panel was upside down. For those who know these cabinets, they have an opening at the rear. This opening is meant to be on the left side (when facing the cabinet from the front), so that the cabling, etc. can be plugged into the power center (which is on the left), as well as provide ventilation for a chiller (if needed) as the piping for the chiller attaches on the left rear side of the tank.

I do not want to attempt to disassemble the cabinet if it would weaken the dowels, screws, etc. However if any of you have successfully done this, then I would be happy if you could put me at ease. The only other option available to me would be to drill a hole with a hole saw in the rear of the left side. This hole would then merely be sufficient for the cables, but not large enough for proper air flow if I decide to place a chiller on that side. I could also cut open a hole identical to the one on the right, but I am also concerned that this may weaken the support.

Any input would be of great help!

COMMANDO

Thanks @RedSeaKev I am pretty nervous to do this as my model might be one of the last sold in South Africa and I think that any damaged pieces might not be able to be replaced by my LFS. What is your opinion on me cutting a piece out of the rear on the left vs disassembling the whole cabinet? However, I really would prefer that it is constructed as per the instructions.

Last edited: