HELP! RSM C-250 Skimmer Question

bageling

Hi All,

I installed a new-design RSM 250 about 2 months ago after a move, so LR and livestock was transferred from a previous 55 gal acrylic tank w/ a plumbed ~20 gal operating level sump with a DSB and chaeto along with a skimmer that did its job until dieing a few months prior to the move.

At that point, the tank was a FOWLR with 2 clowns and a yellow assessor, and ran fine without the skimmer running.

Since moving to the RSM, I've never seen the skimmer output any real amount of skimmate. Besides a break in period, I thought maybe the LR had gotten used to the relatively low bioload sans skimmer and therefore didn't need it.

As a result, I slowly added fish and some inverts thinking the skimmer would start working. Current stocking level is:

2 clowns
2 anthias
1 assessor
1 firefish
1 valentini puffer
1 tiny pajama cardinal
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 condylactis nem
Asst snails

Levels are all still good with a monthly ~30% WC. Herein lies the issue.

Skimmer is definitely producing good foam, it just stays a good 3" below the top of the foam chamber. Air intake is wide open and adjustment gate is at its highest setting. Tunze osmolator maintains the highest possible sump level, although I've tried other heights.

I'd hate to have to splurge on a deltec skimmer to fit in there, so I'm hoping someone has some advice. Media rack just has carbon in it.. everything else is stock. Had a cyano bloom after the move but it mostly passed within a week or two. That's all the relevant info I can think of, but let me know if I'm missing an important factor.

Thanks!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

I have found three keys to getting mine to work well... water level height, the gate height in DT tank and consistent water levels - hope something here helps...

see if anything in this thread helps...

RSM 250 stock skimmer tips

bageling

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't found anything particularly helpful in existing threads, I wish it was the old style where i could lower the height of the cone, bc that would solve it.

By wide open I meant and should have said, the air valve is gone and the plastic air tube is taking in its max, and as i said its making a good foam just far too low.

The only thing i can think from what ive read is running a lower sump level, but ime that
results in a lower head height due the greater gravitational force because of w higher required level above the water.

Trinny

I have had a tricky time with my skimmer and had to learn how to break it in/adapt each time something has changed such as adding finer/carbon filters, dosing, adding RO etc with each change.

My skimmer would generally overskim but I have realised that the skimmer would eventually adapt to the change and calm down but in the meantime I adjust the water level higher or lower until the bubbles were at the desired level.

So my skimmer was over skimming and I would empty the collection cup and not replace the water until it stopped overskimming, the bubbles started to get lower and lower in the tube after time so I added water to the tank until the bubbles were at a better level. The skimmer needs daily monitoring!

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I've found that skimmers need daily attention for a few months before they stabilize. Just remember when you clean it out, to not clean it out "too" well, or you'll end up having to start from scratch.

Jeff

bageling

I wish overskimming or varying skimmate production were my issue - at least that I know how to dial down and monitor.

My foam level is actually very stable - just about 2-3" too low for the cone. I wish it were like the old skimmers in this respect, bc I could just lower the cylinder height down lower in the cup, and have to clean it out more often.

As it is, the collection cup only has fallen salt crystals from condensation on the cup's top, no skimmate to speak of. There is a slight build up within the neck, but that's not enough skimming at all for the water volume. If overproduction of foam / overflowing are people's main problems, perhaps the next step should just be contacting red sea directly as maybe the pump is defective.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
what line do you have your water level at in the water level window?

can you post a pic of your dt gate height?

I have helped literally 100's have success with their RSM stock skimmer and think I might can help :nessie:

Last edited:

Trinny

My last skimmer event was partly due to me adding fine filter and carbon filter pads that slowed the water flow to the last chambers which kept the skimmer chamber water level higher than usual...that might help get the water level a little higher to bring the bubbles/foam up higher? Sorry if I'm talking crap...

Adrienne

For a year I have had the same fun and games that Trinny has been experiencing, until about 3-4 weeks ago and now my skimmer is not really collecting any skimmate. Its just not being pulled up the cone. If I turn it off and then on again it collects for a while then goes back to not doing it.

Adrienne

Thats not my issue but I have had the hose block once. Came out this am and it wasn't working - was when I went to bed last nigt. Turned it off, then immediately turned it back on and its away again. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Turned it off, then immediately turned it back on and its away again.

adrienne - do (have) you tried cleaning the inside of your impeller housing, the impeller & it's shaft? Unless you need a new skimmer pump, the above has helped several.

Adrienne

adrienne - do (have) you tried cleaning the inside of your impeller housing, the impeller & it's shaft? Unless you need a new skimmer pump, the above has helped several.
Thanks and yes. I take it apart every few weeks and clean it all out. I've had issues with the pump itself since day one but an intermittent fault which never seems to show itself when I take it to the shop :) . I am going to look at replacing the pump or maybe the skimmer, dependent on whether or not I sell the C-250 when I do the conversion of my freshwater to marine.

bageling

Well to address the original issue, w the kink gone all issues of insufficient bubble production are gone. The first ~4 days it ran had it bubbling just enough to get about 1/4 cup of stinky skimmate (no WC for 2+ weeks), then its bubble production was reduced significantly. I had taken out the air regulator before noticing the kink in the line, and without immediately finding it (haven't looked too hard yet), I've had a rubberized clip holding the intake and restricting airflow to the desired amount, and had to adjust that which was a pain, back to good production. Letting the air flow fully open (at least w my stocking levels etc.) definitely should create too much foam if things are right, at least from what I now see.

Appreciate all the commentary and hope it maybe useful to someone w a similar problem.

Since then added a couple of softies and a torch as a tester for the valentini, all doing well and puffer doesn't seem interested in the torch. Condy is doing well but has been moving a lot, hope he finally finds a spot he's happy with.

Adrienne

Good to hear the issue is sorted.
I've just enquired today as to whether or not a replacement pump is available in the country. :)
Do you have any photos? We all love photos :)

bageling

Sure, here's a full tank pic. Still have bits of cyano as I've been adding corals and a bit more bioload than I'd wanted since my fiancee fell in love with certain fish. Now also have a pipefish that I'm not certain will survive, but i do try some cylclop-eeze occasionally and have a healthy amphipod population.

Started adding corals slowly, now have a torch, big ol xenia, green star polyps, some zoas and a bleeding apple scoly (from left to right)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8