RSM C-250 heater issues!

TEA

The heater that came with my C-250 would not keep the tank heated. I called Red Sea and with the quality customer service I've experienced with other problems they replaced the heater no problem. So now the new heater is in but it too does not keep the water heated. Anyone else experiencing this with the stock heater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat24601

The heater that came with my C-250 would not keep the tank heated. I called Red Sea and with the quality customer service I've experienced with other problems they replaced the heater no problem. So now the new heater is in but it too does not keep the water heated. Anyone else experiencing this with the stock heater?

My heater has been fine...but then again I'm not sure I'd notice if it was completely broken. My tank is 78+ with no heater most days.

That said, I think the stock heater has a bad reputation. I've heard of a lot of people replacing it.

For that reason, I bought this based on someone here's reccomendation. It's still sitting in the box, though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042FSVQE/?tag=reefsanc-20

pablomay28

Have you tried turning off your cooling fans? If you live in a cold area the cooling fans will work against the heater to keep your tank at your desired temperature.

pablomay28

My heater has been fine...but then again I'm not sure I'd notice if it was completely broken. My tank is 78+ with no heater most days.

That said, I think the stock heater has a bad reputation. I've heard of a lot of people replacing it.

For that reason, I bought this based on someone here's reccomendation. It's still sitting in the box, though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042FSVQE/?tag=reefsanc-20
I replaced mine because it was shorting. I repleced it with a shatter proof aqueon 200w that has an indicator light (green) when at temp and red when heating.

Pat24601

I replaced mine because it was shorting. I repleced it with a shatter proof aqueon 200w that has an indicator light (green) when at temp and red when heating.

It was probably your recommendation I was following. Although, I don't know if I got the kind with the indicator light.

I live in the Southern U.S.. I really don't spend much time worrying about my heater as you can tell. My cooling capacity, I can give a detailed review of. :)

TEA

Have you tried turning off your cooling fans?
I've reached a somewhat happy medium with the tank temp so that I do not need to run the cooling fans. I keep the ambient temp in the house fairly cool and that seems to help with the tank not getting too hot. Now my problem is the tank gets too cold. Of course I expect the heater to kick on and keep the tank at a temp I have it set at (+/- a degree or two). I think I may just replace the heater as well. I have an aqueon in my FW tank and it works great.

Adrienne

My original heater didn't do the trick either, it was replaced with another Red Sea 150 watt heater and that couldn't get the tank up to temperature either. I ended up purchasing an Eheim 200? watt or 250 watt heater to get the tank where it was needed.

IMO if you live in cooler climates then a 150 will never do the job in a 250 litre tank, however we do have to remember that the tank lights add an awful lot of heat when they are on.

TEA

Excellent logic Adrienne. I really didn't think about it like that before. I've a 200 watt in my 55 gal FW. Why have a 150 in a SW where the volume of water is about the same after taking out space for rock/sand/etc.

Danreef

^^ +1 lights add a lot of heat.

Always in my tanks I had 2 heaters. In the RSM 250 I also have 2 heaters. The Red Sea one and another 200W. Not that I really nead 2 heaters. Just for precaution, if one fail. Overheating....it will not happen. They are both connected to a ReefKeeper Lite controller. If temp goes over 78F electricity is shut-off in the plug.

Reactions: TEA