rsm 650

deansmarine

hi all can anyone tell me the best light settings on my rsm 650 I have lps and sps

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 18

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great start ! Sure some 650 owners can advise on their settings...

index.php

DaveK

Lighting is just about the most talked about and debated subject in the entire aquarium hobby. Right off this means your going to get a lot of opinions that are very different.

To try to answer your specific question, because each tank is different, and the lighting preferences of the owners are different, there are no "correct" or best settings. If there were such a thing we wouldn't need to have fixtures that could be set up to vary the color and amount of light produced.

Just to give you an example. In looking at the pic you posted, I find the lighting to look far too blue for my tastes. Note - I'm talking about the picture as posted. I realize that some cameras will add a lot more blue to the picture.

I can tell you that I have 4 AI Hydra 52 fixtures over my 125 gal reef, and I run them with a 8 hour photo period, with a 1 hour ramp up before and a 1 hour ramp down after. All colors are run at 80% max. At night the blue is run at 5% for moonlights.

That's as good a place to start as anywhere. Then over time adjust the light setting up or down so it acts the way you want it. For example you might want to use less red to try and control algae.

There are no hard fast rules here. You can't go too far wrong. It's easy enough to change the lighting setting to something else if you feel you like it better.

SPR

hi all can anyone tell me the best light settings on my rsm 650 I have lps and sps

I've got mine (hydra 26's standard with tank) set on the Red Sea Reef Spec settings which is basically full power on everything other than red and green which are 0 (algea control) and white which is 60%. This is as shown in the instructions.

I run it this way from around 11.30am sunrise with 1 hour ramp up and then at around 6.30pm I have storm effects come in. I like the blue colour at night so the white ramps down slowly at 6.30 and then tank goes ocean blue and then all off at 10pm because the alcohol has kicked in by then!

DaveK

You can, but cut them way back to something like 5%, which I think is the minimum setting for them to come on.

Pat24601

Lighting is just about the most talked about and debated subject in the entire aquarium hobby. Right off this means your going to get a lot of opinions that are very different.

To try to answer your specific question, because each tank is different, and the lighting preferences of the owners are different, there are no "correct" or best settings. If there were such a thing we wouldn't need to have fixtures that could be set up to vary the color and amount of light produced.

Just to give you an example. In looking at the pic you posted, I find the lighting to look far too blue for my tastes. Note - I'm talking about the picture as posted. I realize that some cameras will add a lot more blue to the picture.

I can tell you that I have 4 AI Hydra 52 fixtures over my 125 gal reef, and I run them with a 8 hour photo period, with a 1 hour ramp up before and a 1 hour ramp down after. All colors are run at 80% max. At night the blue is run at 5% for moonlights.

That's as good a place to start as anywhere. Then over time adjust the light setting up or down so it acts the way you want it. For example you might want to use less red to try and control algae.

There are no hard fast rules here. You can't go too far wrong. It's easy enough to change the lighting setting to something else if you feel you like it better.

Really great post, as always.

I really think lighting, and in particular LED lightning, must be very confusing to someone starting out. There are so many options to set and very little in the way of guidance on how to set them.

I was at least several months if not a year in before I got LEDs and I really did pretty much what DaveK just said. I started in one place, let it run for a week, then moved it up a bit or down a bit according to how my tank was doing and what aesthetics I preferred.