RSM 650 Stock Sump Flow

Frankb1

What is the flow pattern in the RSM 650 sump? how large is the area to the left of the skimmer? If used as a fuge, what is the flow like from the left section past the skimmer to the return section?

DaveR11

What is the flow pattern in the RSM 650 sump? how large is the area to the left of the skimmer? If used as a fuge, what is the flow like from the left section past the skimmer to the return section?

Hi Frank, I have a 650. Water enters in the back right corner. Red Sea supply a big black sponge (in sections) which acts as a coarse physical filter. I have removed the section of this under the down-flow pipes and replaced it with a filter sock. Water then passes under a glass partition into the skimmer chamber. From there it goes either up and left or up and forward. Left is into the area the reefer can put their own kit. I have macro algae and a bio-pellet reactor. Forward is into a bay where Red Sea up their charcoal bags on plastic slotted panels. The flow then goes down and right into the return pump chamber.

Here is my sump (before I added the reactor)

The return pump chamber is not really visible behind the test kits. I've swapped the stock skimmer out for a Deltec. The carbon chamber it behind and to the right of the stand frame section on the middle of the photo. As the length of the baffle between the sump section and the carbon are is twice the length of the baffle between the carbon section and the left hand section I have my algae in I presume that there is a 2/3rds 1/3rd split of the flow.

Just measured the left section at 44cm (left to right) x 45cm (front to back).

I'm happy with it!

DaveR11

Hi Frank,

I was rearranging the sump today so took this picture for you.

Taken high on the left hand side and over the sump. Clockwise from 12 O Clock - my Deltec skimmer, the return pump chamber, the carbon weir (with new white carbon bag looking much cleaner than the 2 old ones...) the heater is below this. This shows the weir from the sump area being twice the length of the section from the left hand 'user' section. The left hand section has some Chaeto, red algae and Caulerpa in it plus fragments of rock and a bit of sand. At 9 O clock is my biopellet filter and pipework.

Dave