RSM-250 with Lifereef Sump & Refugium

don74136

To anyone who has a RSM-250 with a LifeReef Sump & Refugium: What have you put in the center overflow area? I have to talked to Jeff of LifeReef about keeping the stock skimmer in the center along with the new skimmer in the first chamber of the sump. He said that was a "no" as two skimmers don't work together, according to him, and that he didn't know why this was so but there was no point in trying this. He didn't give an answer about what to do to the center overflow area but just kept saying that his design of the entire system was simply water in then water out.
I have put the large bubble trap foam (from the left side) end to end with the small foam piece (that resided in the right heater area) into the center area. They fit almost perfectly together. On top of the two foam pieces I placed a precut 4" x 12" piece of blue bonded filter pad that I purchased from Drs. F & S. It is almost like all of that, with regards to fit, was meant to be.
Any insights/ideas about what you have done or concerning my setup are greatly appreciated.

Scottwolver

I actually didn't put anything in the central chamber of the rear sump. I haven't used the foam that came with the C250 ( the sump set up is a bit different on the 250)in either the right or left chamber for quite some time. I can't think of any reason that you could not run the stock skimmer as well if you wanted to as long as you had room to put the overflow elsewhere (I am not entirely familiar with the chamber layout in the 250 rear sump). Though if you have the standard skimmer that comes with the life reef system you probably wouldn't need to unless your bioload was really huge.

I hope you like your life reef system. I am very happy with mine. It is a very nice piece of work though it isn't "magic."

GregT

Do you have any pics of your sump setup please?

IMO I can't think why you would run 2 skimmers on a 250 litre.
For the plus side though you'd have redundancy in case you ever needed to shut the sump off.
On the minus you'd be running more wattage and an extra power lead.

Cheers
Greg